Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Smik posted:

I know nobody will ever do this because having worked with advertisers I know they're dumb as poo poo and scared little idiots, but I'd love a sponsor that has a spot like:

"Yeah so there's not really a difference between X and our competitors except we give a poo poo about this person and they don't. Buy our poo poo: we're not better except for giving this cool person money."

Or "Buy our poo poo because we helped this cool person afford to do dumb stuff for your entertainment. We are cool by proxy!"

The very early days of Hulu would do something like this: "This episode of _____ was brought to you, commercial free, by _____. Enjoy the show." Sometimes a whole movie would be ad-free except for that 7 second spot. Didn't expect that to last, of course, but it was nice.

Of course, early TV and radio would have the entire show sponsored by one company. And shows like Jack Benny would poke fun at the actual sponsor, or the idea of the ad spot itself. I was watching a couple old Red Skelton shows and there'd be a straight 7 minute segment full of (corny) jokes that would lead, inappropriately, to mention of the sponsor. Example: a frustrated couple on a desert island, arguing over whether the dirty state of their laundry was why they couldn't flag down a rescue ship. Five minutes another ship shows up and the man whips out a box of Tide to clean the clothing with. The audience is laughing in part because they are in on the joke: the joke is that ads are lame as hell, and this is as lame an ad as we could come up with. We hate 'em, you hate 'em, let's have some fun. The product becomes cool by proxy.

This isn't identical to what you're suggesting, but it's very similar: we, the corporation, are directly financing or bringing you this abject wackiness. Big difference from "we paid money to interrupt this thing you want to see with something that we want you to see. It has nothing to do with what you've been watching, and you have no choice but to watch it if you want to continue seeing the thing you're actually here for."

One is akin to patronage, the other is the marketplace of content and ads. (They both suck, but one is much worse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khanstant posted:

It's also helpful for music videos and other things with skits or whatever intro and you just wanna skip right to the good parts.

Hey speaking of have you ever seen the music video for MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCv86Olk8E

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I've had zero shenanigans so far for Firefox + uBlock Origin on my desktop, but I only this past week learned that the weird "pay-for search engine" Kagi have a free web browser for iOS called Orion, which (if enabled in the settings, as it's "beta") can use Firefox and Chrome extensions.

As such I installed uBlock Origin (for FF) into it on my phone and YouTube now seemingly works ad-free, the first time I've used YouTube on my phone in years.

Movies seem to work too, though I had to set Orion's User-Agent to match my desktop Safari (and only the first time, when the movie loaded, I glimpsed like four adverts all just flash before my eyes, then the movie just began). Also doing this with the user agent will make YouTube take on a desktop UI design, so it's pretty much only worth it for movies.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The only thing holding me back from using Orion full-time is the lack of full Keychain integration, which is something I assume Apple will never allow :(

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

doctorfrog posted:

The very early days of Hulu would do something like this: "This episode of _____ was brought to you, commercial free, by _____. Enjoy the show." Sometimes a whole movie would be ad-free except for that 7 second spot. Didn't expect that to last, of course, but it was nice.

Of course, early TV and radio would have the entire show sponsored by one company. And shows like Jack Benny would poke fun at the actual sponsor, or the idea of the ad spot itself. I was watching a couple old Red Skelton shows and there'd be a straight 7 minute segment full of (corny) jokes that would lead, inappropriately, to mention of the sponsor. Example: a frustrated couple on a desert island, arguing over whether the dirty state of their laundry was why they couldn't flag down a rescue ship. Five minutes another ship shows up and the man whips out a box of Tide to clean the clothing with. The audience is laughing in part because they are in on the joke: the joke is that ads are lame as hell, and this is as lame an ad as we could come up with. We hate 'em, you hate 'em, let's have some fun. The product becomes cool by proxy.

This isn't identical to what you're suggesting, but it's very similar: we, the corporation, are directly financing or bringing you this abject wackiness. Big difference from "we paid money to interrupt this thing you want to see with something that we want you to see. It has nothing to do with what you've been watching, and you have no choice but to watch it if you want to continue seeing the thing you're actually here for."

One is akin to patronage, the other is the marketplace of content and ads. (They both suck, but one is much worse.)

Product integration can work on certain types of shows, like comedy and variety stuff. I don't want to see it if I'm watching a serious drama or something, unless it's really brief and not awkwardly shoehorned in.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

https://www.sophiajt.com/youtube-addiction-one-month-sober/
:thunk:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So here's something weird: My PC is uBlocked, but all the phones and TVs in my house have started playing exclusively Spanish ads on YT over the last week or so. We're in Montana and I'm the only mild Spanish-understander in a household of 7.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Weren't all the old Daily show side skits about stuff like "Arby's, why not challenge your stomach to a fight?" A paid product placement? I wouldn't mind more stuff like that. Behind the bastards' podcast product segments are also pretty amusing.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

so what are you guys using to block these horrendous ads with then?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

thanks, i really shouldnt be using chrome anyway

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I was recommended uBlock like five months ago and aside from one small hiccup, it has worked perfectly ever since.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, idk how effective uBlock Origin is on Chrome, but thanks to uBlock I have legit never had a YouTube advertisement on Firefox, ever. For that matter, I can't remember the last time I got an ad anywhere else.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Grimace posted:

I was recommended uBlock like five months ago and aside from one small hiccup, it has worked perfectly ever since.

Are you like the last person on the planet to hear about uBlock? Good for you anyway.

YouTube was constantly loving with their ad blocker message so that you'd have to keep refreshing the uBlock filters, but yeah the last 4 months or so they seem to have completely given up on the arms race. I think they realized some people will stop at nothing... I even hacked my boyfriend's smart TV to block the YouTube ads, and pooled in with my friends to build a sweet Plex server. Strike back against enshittification! To all of you who acquiesced and paid Google for premium, rot in hell.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I even hacked my boyfriend's smart TV to block the YouTube ads.

More deets please.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Ublock origin works so good that I can watch the "feee with ads" movies on youtube without any ads or nag screens. I've only had to refresh my filters like twice since google started their war. Just lol if you don't use ubo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Saalkin posted:

More deets please.

You have to put your LG TV into "dev mode" so that you can sideload a modified YouTube APK. The catch is you have to refresh the dev mode once every 1000 hours, but there's also a script that can automate that from the TV itself.

I think there was a thread title somewhere that joked "can't wait to have to jailbreak my TV" but we're kinda there already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/wzs6hg/adfree_youtube_webos_app/

And of course, for Android phones, you should install "NewPipe SponsorBlock", which skips all YouTube ads, blocks YouTube from doing tracking or algorithms on you, skips sponsored sections, and lets you play videos and music in the background, negating the need for YT premium: https://github.com/polymorphicshade/NewPipe/releases

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 23, 2024

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mebh posted:

Weren't all the old Daily show side skits about stuff like "Arby's, why not challenge your stomach to a fight?" A paid product placement? I wouldn't mind more stuff like that. Behind the bastards' podcast product segments are also pretty amusing.

Ironically, I listen to BtB on YouTube with ad block on, so I've never heard their ads.

Some More News' AG1 segments are pretty funny, though.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Saalkin posted:

More deets please.

by the way if you have an android based tv instead of a web os based tv you can sideload the "downloader" app and install smart tube.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube

if you have a roku based device you can try this, https://github.com/iBicha/playlet but i personally have not.

edit: i was reading the github page for the playlet app and this is from the developer:

There's a cliché about how a lot of open source software is "Made with ♡". This project in particular is not.
Playlet was created out of spite, because I believe I have watched enough back-to-back, unskippable YouTube ads for a lifetime.

i thought that was funny.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 23, 2024

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Zero VGS posted:

You have to put your LG TV into "dev mode" so that you can sideload a modified YouTube APK. The catch is you have to refresh the dev mode once every 1000 hours, but there's also a script that can automate that from the TV itself.

I think there was a thread title somewhere that joked "can't wait to have to jailbreak my TV" but we're kinda there already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/wzs6hg/adfree_youtube_webos_app/

And of course, for Android phones, you should install "NewPipe SponsorBlock", which skips all YouTube ads, blocks YouTube from doing tracking or algorithms on you, skips sponsored sections, and lets you play videos and music in the background, negating the need for YT premium: https://github.com/polymorphicshade/NewPipe/releases

Thank you for this. Just got done installing and it is a far superior experience.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I moved to Firefox at home and stopped paying for yt music.

Brave browser doesn’t work nearly as well as yt music + Waze but it still doesn’t make up for yt music being poo poo or Google pulling poo poo.

idgaf how much I use it. this thread has reinforced how access should not be so consolidated.

Besides, I still give Google inordinate amounts of money in other ways:thumbsup:

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023

Denim Dude posted:

if you have a roku based device you can try this, https://github.com/iBicha/playlet but i personally have not.

edit: i was reading the github page for the playlet app and this is from the developer:

There's a cliché about how a lot of open source software is "Made with ♡". This project in particular is not.
Playlet was created out of spite, because I believe I have watched enough back-to-back, unskippable YouTube ads for a lifetime.

i thought that was funny.

I just got this and can confirm that it does work, thanks!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want to jailbreak our TV but my BF keeps updating the drat software.
BuT ThErEs An UpDatE aPpS sToP wOrkInG iF yOu DoN'T uPdaTe

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you block the update servers on your network?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Zero VGS posted:

Polymorphicshade has all sorts of ambitions with the app and has renamed it Tubular. Javulticat has forked the project at that point for continuity. It is unclear if either will be updating with the familiar regularity. In any case a newer version is currently available.

LibreTube is a fair alternative if the Newpipe with Sponsorblock drama doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Are you like the last person on the planet to hear about uBlock? Good for you anyway.

Yeah, I'm admittedly not too tech literate nowadays. I used a regular AdBlock extension on Firefox for many years and it worked well until YouTube started getting shittier with their ads in the past year, and that forced me to start researching more ways to properly skip their awful ads.

I'm pretty laid back. I can deal with a few ads here and there, but when services start constantly bombarding with 2.5+ minute ads or really gross ones, they're finally forcing my hand. The balance is so overthrown that something's gotta give. They get enough drat money already. :mad:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
One thing all this has prompted me to do was think back to when I was growing up and on some occasions, ads were actually memorable and even interesting artistically, regardless of the annoying selling you poo poo aspect (and see also PSAs). I want to say that's not the case these days but the truth is, I've been blocking and avoiding the poo poo out of the loving things for so long now that I have very little clue what they're like these days. Have there been many actually cool/funny/well done ones in the last 10-15 years?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Finally got round to setting up revanced properly, where you basically download an old .apk and then run it through the manager to modify it yourself. Fascinating process that makes you feel way more tech savvy than you actually are.

Have to turn auto updates off on my phone though so it never updates and goddamn, I did not realise that nearly every single android app updates a few times a week. It's nuts.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well if they don't update how are they going to serve you those hot hot new ads??

You can also run an app like Netguard on your phone that blocks aps that don't ever really need to reach the Internet from either downloading ads or stealing data. I just sort of assume that every app is wasting stupid amounts of data because people expect phone apps to be "free" for a reason at this point.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 24, 2024

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Mebh posted:

Finally got round to setting up revanced properly, where you basically download an old .apk and then run it through the manager to modify it yourself. Fascinating process that makes you feel way more tech savvy than you actually are.

Have to turn auto updates off on my phone though so it never updates and goddamn, I did not realise that nearly every single android app updates a few times a week. It's nuts.

You can go onto the app store for individual apps and select just those to not update, that's why I've done.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

One thing all this has prompted me to do was think back to when I was growing up and on some occasions, ads were actually memorable and even interesting artistically, regardless of the annoying selling you poo poo aspect (and see also PSAs). I want to say that's not the case these days but the truth is, I've been blocking and avoiding the poo poo out of the loving things for so long now that I have very little clue what they're like these days. Have there been many actually cool/funny/well done ones in the last 10-15 years?

very, very few. trying to create a captive audience for advertising has been the main focus for at least a decade now, at the obvious cost of their quality

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

dervival posted:

very, very few. trying to create a captive audience for advertising has been the main focus for at least a decade now, at the obvious cost of their quality

That's a good way to put it. Most of the time, local ads I see end up being more memorable than any major companies' ads because they have a kitschy quality to them- but you're only going to see those types of ads if you're watching a local station, rather than anything on the internet.

The only time I'm curious to purposely look at ads is at the Super Bowl, and I haven't been satisfied with even those ads for years. It truly is about having a captive audience now and hoping something sticks, rather than them doing anything particularly memorable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't get the super bowl ad watching thing. It's a pithy joke that got out of hand and turned into a capitalist celebration with the weirdest outreach to non-foot all fans. "Hey you don't like football well then at least come watch commercials lol. Oh wow y'all really did it. Okay. Well, see em tomorrow and forever too!"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah especially since the last superbowl had a bunch of crypto scam poo poo that people lost their life savings on or worse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably not the people who put out the ad though, so it served its purpose.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

I don't get the super bowl ad watching thing. It's a pithy joke that got out of hand and turned into a capitalist celebration with the weirdest outreach to non-foot all fans. "Hey you don't like football well then at least come watch commercials lol. Oh wow y'all really did it. Okay. Well, see em tomorrow and forever too!"

I got away with not watching any, nor the superbowl, then my English class wanted me to go back and watch some and write about it.

Holy poo poo were the ads vile. There was an online-gambling ad with Carl Weathers. "Oh, we got his family's blessing!". Yeah I think he might have felt a little differently if he knew that was gonna be the last thing he'd ever loving do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What the hell kind of sponsor does your professor have to come up with that kind of assignment? I wrote a few essays on ads for a critical media analysis class in college but did my English credits in highschool, so I don't actually know what an adult English course looks like and maybe I'm glad if it means watching Superbowl ads.

Edit: actually taking apart ads to examine each manipulation or lie it's selling did make me hate advertising a hundred times more than I already did and I was always a huge baby about having to see commercials. English classes definitely should earlier on teach kids how to identify and navigate through the horseshit.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 25, 2024

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

that sounds like that English instructor being lazy as gently caress; even if it was for a marketing class, you can take classic examples (or hell, make up your own one) for students to use. making them fish in current day stuff is just stupid (and makes it easier to plagiarize without getting caught)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Update: it seems I'm not getting any one-second-in pauses on videos. I don't have to keep entering and exiting fullscreen to get the scrolling back. Maybe they gave up...or uBlock got ahead of the arms race for a few hours and then it'll go back to the pausing and scroll stopping later and then we're back at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dumb question about the Plex server thing, is it only for local connections or can I connect to it anywhere? It looks like it's just a server you set up at home and can connect to using LAN but I see people talking about setting one up to share with friends