Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Xun posted:

Dumb question about the Plex server thing, is it only for local connections or can I connect to it anywhere? It looks like it's just a server you set up at home and can connect to using LAN but I see people talking about setting one up to share with friends

Both. Local streaming is free but to watch your content anywhere, or for friends to stream from you, it’s $5 per month or whatever the lifetime pass is going for.

I have 1gb fiber and I have friends and family that can stream 4k content on the other side of the country with no issues.

Edit: listen to this person not me vvv

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Not true. You only have to pay if you want to use your graphics card to transcode. You don't have to pay to have it work remotely. You do have to pay one-time if you want the phone app.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Having a buddy with a plex server kicks rear end

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Xun posted:

Dumb question about the Plex server thing, is it only for local connections or can I connect to it anywhere? It looks like it's just a server you set up at home and can connect to using LAN but I see people talking about setting one up to share with friends
I think there’s just a remote access option in the settings.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

It can be set up so any friends who want to watch movies on it can stream it from anywhere. If the viewer is firewalled and can't connect directly, Plex themselves will bounce it off one of their servers as a relay. To administrate it remotely we just use TeamViewer.

The Plex app will run on pretty much anything and is even built into older smart TVs. I would have considered the open source variants, but a couple of us already had lifetime Plex passes, and it's nice that older streaming appliances have native apps.

You can also set up Sonarr/Radarr on the server along with a request management thing like Ombi. The end result is a user types in a request on a website, then the server nabs it from Usenet and makes it available in seconds. I don't get why they need like 5 separate apps for all that but that's how it is.

There's a Plex thread if you wanna ask more technical questions on it.

Saalkin posted:

Having a buddy with a plex server kicks rear end

Yeah my friends and I pooled together to build a server and host it in the basement of the only one of us with fiber internet.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I use Jellyfin instead of Plex, which is totally offline and still supports hardware transcoding (I have it use the Intel on-board video on my server, since I use the nVidia for running image recognition/etc. models). The only downside to Jellyfin is that it doesn't have the over-the-internet stuff.

I did just make a VPN on my router that my friends and family have accounts for, though, so they can access it that way, but it's slightly more involved (for me, for them it's just "use this profile file with this app")

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Is there a workaround to the lastest imgur adblock fuckery yet?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Denim Dude posted:

by the way if you have an android based tv instead of a web os based tv you can sideload the "downloader" app and install smart tube.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube

if you have a roku based device you can try this, https://github.com/iBicha/playlet but i personally have not.

edit: i was reading the github page for the playlet app and this is from the developer:

There's a cliché about how a lot of open source software is "Made with ♡". This project in particular is not.
Playlet was created out of spite, because I believe I have watched enough back-to-back, unskippable YouTube ads for a lifetime.

i thought that was funny.

That Roku app is nice. Thank you. :)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is there a workaround to the lastest imgur adblock fuckery yet?

I just uploaded something there and didn’t notice any problems. What are you seeing?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
There's no way to extract video without javascript since yesterday

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

There's no way to extract video without javascript since yesterday

there's no way to view 99% of large sites without javascript

if you're gonna block javascript in ublock -- and I do this, it's great, you can cut out so much bullshit -- you have to be willing to twiddle the red & grey boxes until the site works again

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Probably been mentioned but has anyone noticed random pop-up messages on YT with Firefox/Ublock where it says something like "experiencing delays/interruptions? find out why"? I saw a couple over the weekend right during times when videos would stutter for a second, guessing this is just YT doing annoying poo poo again because they can't control other companies' browsers/products.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Probably been mentioned but has anyone noticed random pop-up messages on YT with Firefox/Ublock where it says something like "experiencing delays/interruptions? find out why"? I saw a couple over the weekend right during times when videos would stutter for a second, guessing this is just YT doing annoying poo poo again because they can't control other companies' browsers/products.

I've only seen that when I've had temporary interruptions with my internet service in the past. :shrug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yea I think that's a client-side message when the player detects some connection or playback issue. I don't think the 'find out why' actually has any answers.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It also doesn't recognize user input, so if you're scanning around looking for something, skipping the video around, it gives that message too.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

BOOTY-ADE posted:

if it is client side you could run a ping -t youtube.com in command prompt/terminal for a while to see if you are dropping packets. a speed test might be helpful. i don't know where you are but cali has been having a lot of rain and our cable junction box? is underground. sometimes it gets flooded and i have poo poo internet for a while.

edit: in linux i don't think the -t in ping -t is necessary but it's been a long time.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I’ll give it a shot, no ISP issues & I’m in the Midwest but it has been pretty windy the last couple days. No trouble with any other sites or anything so that’s why I assumed YouTube fuckery was afoot.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A few times over the last couple of weeks I've had Youtube videos just stopped downloading, so the buffer runs out and then I get that message. I heard a while ago that they were doing something like that on purpose for ad blockers, but no idea if that's true or not. So it's not just you, but for me once it starts it sticks around - it doesn't go away after a second or two. I refresh the page a few times and it seems ok.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Well, here we go. I've been sitting here all smug, running YT on a Windows 11 PC with ABP over Firefox without any problems, until now, when I click on a video to view it and see a message saying "You are offline. Check your connection". There is a 'Retry' button that does fat gently caress all. I can see suggested videos and hovering over them even plays a few seconds of preview, but clicking on them apparently sends me "offline". Pricks.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

think of it as your chance to find freedom and live a better life

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:chloe:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Frazzbo posted:

"You are offline. Check your connection".

Oh man, I've been getting this a LOT lately. Refreshing the page tends to fix it, but if I'm on a playlist, YouTube keeps skipping to the next video and then finds a random video after the last one in the playlist. None of the playlist videos work (without refreshing) but the random one always does.

Youtube has really been screwing up their platform lately.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Microplastics posted:

Youtube has really been screwing up their platform lately.

This seems to be google in general. They really do seem to be just resting on top assuming that no one's ever going to compete with them again. As there are other good video streaming sites that people don't use, seem with youtube, at least for the foreseeable future, they're probably unfortunately right about that.

Search I'm not so sure about. I think a competitor could pretty easily take the top spot from them for that, if they can make a search as good as googles used to be. It's pretty trivial to change what search engine your using, and people have been pretty unhappy with google search for a while now.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I was randomly in a conversation with two other people earlier today, and we all universally concluded that Google search sucks now. Then we talked about which internet browsers we all use, instead of the resource hog of Chrome.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google's latest thing seems to be using ~*AI*~ to summarise the content of a page that supposedly contains the answer to the query you typed in, and then when you click through you find out that none of the claims made on the search results page can be found on the source. Also the increasing effort needed to make it search for what you typed in rather than what it thinks you meant to type - Windows 365 and Microsoft 365 are different products, yes the naming is stupid but stop giving me results for both as thought they are interchangeable.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah I've seen some gnarly cases where it cites something to a source that's saying the opposite of what it thinks it's saying. Misinformation machine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Saw one once where it summarised a page about poisonous foods for dogs as things you should feed your dog.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

Saw one once where it summarised a page about poisonous foods for dogs as things you should feed your dog.

Ah, the C-Spam algorithm

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If google is going to AI la-la land then what's the most coherent/sane search engine at the moment?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grimace posted:

I was randomly in a conversation with two other people earlier today, and we all universally concluded that Google search sucks now.
I will keep simping for Kagi because I’ve been really happy with it; plus, being able to promote or block results from different domains is incredibly useful.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The other day I did a search for some pics on google and 7/12 of the top results were all AI generated garbage pictures. On a lark I wanted to see if Edge and Bing could do any better, thankfully Edge immediately told me not to waste my time.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah Microsoft has gone really loving whole-hog on AI - they ate OpenAI after that board fiasco last year

Nadella isn't any better than Ballmer ever was, they just had different obsessions in the end

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The General posted:

The other day I did a search for some pics on google and 7/12 of the top results were all AI generated garbage pictures. On a lark I wanted to see if Edge and Bing could do any better, thankfully Edge immediately told me not to waste my time.

Lol.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

The General posted:

When using bing, after clinking on one of the search results I get a popup asking if I want to use Bing's ai results instead of going to the website I clicked. I then have to click "no" before clicking the same link again to finally going to the website I searched for.

Edge is terrible and so is Bing.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I really am sick of trying to find pictures of anything and 90% of the results being ai generated trash. This is not beneficial to art references or photoshops.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But it's beneficial to shareholder value so shut the gently caress up and eat your bowl of ai slop

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
AI imaging is the worst thing to happen to the internet

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Grimace posted:

AI imaging is the worst thing to happen to the internet

As annoying as it can be when people try to use AI pics for anything beyond shitposting, the current use of AI text is a thousand times worse. AI poo poo images are mainly replacing stock photos and getting dumped on when people try to use it elsewhere; AI text is infecting and poisoning everything, flooding the already toxic swamp of SEO and turning the world into meaningless glop. It's the gray goo scenario except it's devouring information instead of buildings.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

As annoying as it can be when people try to use AI pics for anything beyond shitposting, the current use of AI text is a thousand times worse. AI poo poo images are mainly replacing stock photos and getting dumped on when people try to use it elsewhere; AI text is infecting and poisoning everything, flooding the already toxic swamp of SEO and turning the world into meaningless glop. It's the gray goo scenario except it's devouring information instead of buildings.

SEO or search engine optimization is a very important for all small businesses.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a crucial aspect of digital marketing to enhance visibility and drive organic traffic to your website.

As far as SEO goes? Yeah I don't think it matters. Well it does matter in that it makes it easier and cheaper so more will be generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The General posted:

The reasons why I might need or want an """AI powered browser""" are never explained.

It's shareholder value, as steinrokkan said.