Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I had for the first time a chair ad appear in the video list on the right side.

Is this new?

I am running FF with UBO Noscript Sponsorblock and some cookieblocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AutismVaccine posted:

Is this new?

No uBlock Origin with your FF... or are you on mobile?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AutismVaccine posted:

Is this new?

Just Another Lurker posted:

No uBlock Origin with your FF... or are you on mobile?

*sighs* Every time a company rolls something out to a group of people you get people not in that group going "eh what are you talking about everything's fine maybe it's your fault? Have you tried x?" Anyway yeah I noticed getting side bar ads once or twice today too.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

To be more precise:

I had to try like 10 videos, it appeared again (clicked a few random videos from the list):

I dont even know how something linux related is in my list

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am getting that as well and uBO isn't catching them. I'll take them over video ads though.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thanks Ants posted:

I am getting that as well and uBO isn't catching them. I'll take them over video ads though.

drat. I searched and tried a few youtube addons, that kind of ad seems uncatchable

I rather dont watch a video beforehaving to sit even through 10s of an ad. My ad pool is quite terrible because of lack of info, google doesnt get anything from me.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

AutismVaccine posted:

drat. I searched and tried a few youtube addons, that kind of ad seems uncatchable

uBlock element picker might help

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

EorayMel posted:

uBlock element picker might help

Is this the same as right click --> blocking elements function?

the rule i got is

! 2024-03-16 https://www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com#%23.sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope

seems to work for now

Thanks mate, good food for thought

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

AutismVaccine posted:

Is this the same as right click --> blocking elements function?

the rule i got is

! 2024-03-16 https://www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com#%23.sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope

seems to work for now

I just click the app icon in the top right, pick the dropper, then click on the ad to blast it off my loving screen.

The one to the right of the lightning bolt. Works well for obliterating what slips through the filters.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AutismVaccine posted:

To be more precise:

I had to try like 10 videos, it appeared again (clicked a few random videos from the list):

I dont even know how something linux related is in my list

Linux Mint + Firefox + uBlock Origin here... no ads showing for me... i've had ads in the past when they google got frisky a few months ago but nothing since, sorry. :kiddo:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AutismVaccine posted:

Is this new?

Ublock Origin and every other ad block runs on filters that have to get updated by people when companies like Google change poo poo. It takes a few days sometimes, particularly when Google starts slow by only showing the new ad to 10% of viewers or whatever.

You can add a custom rule like you did, or just wait.

Waiting is my general recommendation because a filter you make today sometimes causes problems 3 years later when they use "sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope" for something that's not an ad and it breaks the layout. And you've long since forgotten.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Klyith posted:

Ublock Origin and every other ad block runs on filters that have to get updated by people when companies like Google change poo poo. It takes a few days sometimes, particularly when Google starts slow by only showing the new ad to 10% of viewers or whatever.

You can add a custom rule like you did, or just wait.

Waiting is my general recommendation because a filter you make today sometimes causes problems 3 years later when they use "sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope" for something that's not an ad and it breaks the layout. And you've long since forgotten.

Yeah, that would be the smart play.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Welp, some ads snuck onto a YouTube video for the first time in... years. Back to yt-dl for a day or two.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They must have changed something over the weekend as my Kodi plugin stopped working and I've seen people say that other things they use for accessing YouTube are having issues too.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
I used the official YouTube app for the first time in a while yesterday and immediately got an ad for plus-size Pilates, lose 46 lbs in your first month! Figured this would be an obvious takedown both for scam and health/safety reasons, but nope, I got an email this morning to let me know that Google's Trust and Safety team found it to be just fine and dandy.
I'm such a total square that I'd probably be willing to sit through a normal ad for like, leggings or whatever, to make sure the yoga video lady gets her penny for my view or whatever, but gently caress that, if YouTube actually cared about supporting creators they'd make sure good content didn't get stuffed full of absolutely rank maggot-laden garbage ads.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Checked Newpipe and happy to say that's still working.

I love Newpipe, thank you whoever suggested that. I love that I can download YouTube videos with it in 2 easy taps. The only thing that's missing is a desktop version so I can download to my tablet instead of my phone... but I'll take what I have

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The new Ask AI option with the preloaded request to "summarize the video" is a life saver for those videos.

The videos that do:

• is narrated by a person with a super thick accent
  • is narrated by a person with a voice to put you to sleep plus you know it includes mumbling
  • the video is artificially extended with pointless drivel to push the run time past 10 minutes . you can try to guess where the point is talked about but :shrug:
  • half of the video is literally just sponsorships, like & subscribe & hit the bell, and/or a very long outro talking about their other videos

Sponsorblock helps with the last two bullet points, but the Ask summary helps with the first two.

For those that want more details here's an example of how you can change the prompt get more details copy the following and store it as a clipboard pin (on Gboard ) so you don't need to copy and paste it every time.

quote:

summarize the video into a full breakdown with loads of detail separated into paragraphs. the thought when writing the summary is that no detail is too small to write about.

I demonstration of the video 1976: Mr Buckle's BRINY ENGINE | Nationwide | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive.

Normal summary on the left with the one created by my prompt on the right

There is one downside though. Sometimes the video is so pointless and just has THE ONE FACT that the AI just gives up. I see it as the AI finding it so impossible to squeeze any more information out of a low effort video that it can be compared to squeezing blood out of a rock

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 1, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EVIL Gibson posted:

The new Ask AI option with the preloaded request to "summarize the video" is a life saver for those videos.

The videos that do:

• is narrated by a person with a super thick accent
  • is narrated by a person with a voice to put you to sleep plus you know it includes mumbling
  • the video is artificially extended with pointless drivel to push the run time past 10 minutes . you can try to guess where the point is talked about but :shrug:
  • half of the video is literally just sponsorships, like & subscribe & hit the bell, and/or a very long outro talking about their other videos

Sponsorblock helps with the last two bullet points, but the Ask summary helps with the first two.

For those that want more details here's an example of how you can change the prompt get more details copy the following and store it as a clipboard pin (on Gboard ) so you don't need to copy and paste it every time.

I demonstration of the video 1976: Mr Buckle's BRINY ENGINE | Nationwide | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive.

Normal summary on the left with the one created by my prompt on the right

There is one downside though. Sometimes the video is so pointless and just has THE ONE FACT that the AI just gives up. I see it as the AI finding it so impossible to squeeze any more information out of a low effort video that it can be compared to squeezing blood out of a rock

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are AI Video Summaries Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Link Like Nigga Close The Tab Haha.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how the hell are you guys still get ad leaks? i dont get them and I have autoupdate disabled for ublock?

like do I technically have a better UX because I used youtube unlogged in?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PhazonLink posted:

how the hell are you guys still get ad leaks? i dont get them and I have autoupdate disabled for ublock?

if you have auto-update disabled for ublock the extension, that's not the same as auto-update of ublock's filters

PhazonLink posted:

yes. I don't have ads leaking through, but most of the time I have to watch videos in private windows. If I watch them while logged in I get blocked by the "adblockers violate youtube TOS" message.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Updates take time to make, and/or you aren't in the testing group.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's pretty funny how on top of things uBlock is. I guess YT updated to where it was blocking me on non-private windows yesterday, and today it's back to normal.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
It feels like a cold war arms race with both sides continually trying to outmaneuver the other.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are AI Video Summaries Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Link Like Nigga Close The Tab Haha.

:okboomer::corsair:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

As annoying as it can be when people try to use AI pics for anything beyond shitposting, the current use of AI text is a thousand times worse. AI poo poo images are mainly replacing stock photos and getting dumped on when people try to use it elsewhere; AI text is infecting and poisoning everything, flooding the already toxic swamp of SEO and turning the world into meaningless glop. It's the gray goo scenario except it's devouring information instead of buildings.

I think early 2022 is the last time they can ever scrape data not tainted by AI garbage. The terrifying circumstances of future technology stuck based on input from the poo poo 2022 people were posting about forever. Mummifying our tech development.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's going to be like getting steel from before nuclear testing

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Grimace posted:

It feels like a cold war arms race with both sides continually trying to outmaneuver the other.

Funniest outcome would be that AI is ultimately turned into a tool to utterly obliterate all ads on all apps, block serving ads, blur out product placements, cut out all sponsors like SponsorBlock but without any crowdsourced intervention, advertising companies like Google fold and we get Dot Com Bubble 2.0

The only surviving advertisements are the clips Adam Sandler movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHY_5psG5w

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Zero VGS posted:

Funniest outcome would be that AI is ultimately turned into a tool to utterly obliterate all ads on all apps, block serving ads, blur out product placements, cut out all sponsors like SponsorBlock but without any crowdsourced intervention, advertising companies like Google fold and we get Dot Com Bubble 2.0

The only surviving advertisements are the clips Adam Sandler movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pHY_5psG5w

people gotta stop using chrome for that

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dropped Chrome for Firefox. Still haven't installed any ad blockers. But overall my PC runs much nicer now.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

I think early 2022 is the last time they can ever scrape data not tainted by AI garbage. The terrifying circumstances of future technology stuck based on input from the poo poo 2022 people were posting about forever. Mummifying our tech development.

Thanks Ants posted:

It's going to be like getting steel from before nuclear testing

lol god drat. This is a really good analogy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Google's coming for Revanced and Newpipe now:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/youtube-will-start-blocking-third-party-clients-that-dont-show-ads/

dunno how that's gonna work out for them

Revanced might have some trouble, being a hack of the official youtube app means they're more limited in options. AFAIK only thing they have to fetch video is the official API that the yt app has. But newpipe has multiple options, including being the chad web scraper and just parsing youtube's website.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I saw some ads on youtube today (not my machine, no blocker installed), they were mostly for pseudoscience medical products and a range of "take our 8 session trading for beginners course at just $$$ and never work again!" shite.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
newpipe owns but pretty much 99% of my youtube consumption is poo poo like 'thunderstorm and rain cottage ambience' and 'haunted crypt sounds 10 hours' because my tinnitus is severe and gives me full blown panny attacks when i'm reading at night. i should just rip the audio

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I did something similar but mostly because it felt weird to do it through YouTube and effectively download it each time. I just found replacement tracks rather than the one I'd been using because I had no loving idea how to rip the audio out of YT vid.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I've started VPN from EU countries again, and no longer get the pathetic cookie begging from youtube/google.

is that good or bad?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

R.L. Stine posted:

newpipe owns but pretty much 99% of my youtube consumption is poo poo like 'thunderstorm and rain cottage ambience' and 'haunted crypt sounds 10 hours' because my tinnitus is severe and gives me full blown panny attacks when i'm reading at night. i should just rip the audio

Magnetic North posted:

I had no loving idea how to rip the audio out of YT vid.

yt-dlp -f 251 "youtubevideourl"

(if you want to be fancy, add --embed-thumbnail --remux-video mp4 before the youtube url to get cover art)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder when they're directing more energy at yt-dlp. I'm sure that day is coming. Using any kind of DRM would do it, right?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
YouTube actually turns on DRM if you watch the "YouTube Movies" content. Supposedly yt-dlp will still download the file for you, but you need a mystery tool to decrypt it (I genuinely don't know, I have never looked into it beyond being curious about the DRM as I knew they had it sometimes).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What's the reason why they wouldn't use DRM on everything? I assume it has something to do with the costs associated with rolling it out, authenticating, various server overhead, potential customer problems, paying additional staff, licensing tech if they don't do it completely in-house, etc. Those costs, or potential costs, must be significant. Probably easier to just continue an arms race breaking such tools, as with ad blockers?

When I first discovered it, I was shocked how many titles from various sites can be downloaded with yt-dlp, no DRM on that stuff at all. Yet, random videos on (for instance) Tubi will have DRM enabled, most others don't. Just kinda interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Charles Ford posted:

YouTube actually turns on DRM if you watch the "YouTube Movies" content. Supposedly yt-dlp will still download the file for you, but you need a mystery tool to decrypt it (I genuinely don't know, I have never looked into it beyond being curious about the DRM as I knew they had it sometimes).
It's hilariously bad. You have to watch on mobile devices or "selected smart TVs" to get HD content. Otherwise it's 480p.