Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Elukka posted:

It's hilariously bad. You have to watch on mobile devices or "selected smart TVs" to get HD content. Otherwise it's 480p.

Is there any way to trick a website into thinking you're connecting to it as a mobile phone? I feel like this should be something that's pretty trivial to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

dr_rat posted:

Is there any way to trick a website into thinking you're connecting to it as a mobile phone? I feel like this should be something that's pretty trivial to do.

You can use Chrome dev tools to have your browser emulate a mobile device. It's one way folks debug websites while building them.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
DRM so strong and so thorough you both have to pay for AND pirate it lol

*as a bonus it should also brick your phone and smart TV just as a real extra 'gently caress you' to the consumer

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 17, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Firefox and uBlock still keep me ad and pause free.

Which actually sucks at work because I get ad after ad for women's deodorant when I've got random videos on in the background. STOP TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR VAG ODOR YOU FREAKS

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

R.L. Stine posted:

newpipe owns but pretty much 99% of my youtube consumption is poo poo like 'thunderstorm and rain cottage ambience' and 'haunted crypt sounds 10 hours' because my tinnitus is severe and gives me full blown panny attacks when i'm reading at night. i should just rip the audio

Get on https://mynoise.net my dude

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Not a single industrial fan? Not even like a normal fan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpshBMKAPg. Now that's the stuff. I don't have a tinnitus problem but I do almost always have a fan on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Heard "industrial fan" and was about to put my hand up

Edit for content:

I downloaded Newpipe to my android phone and Freetube to my windows devices. Holy poo poo where have these apps been all my life. The experience is so much better. Two taps to download a video so I can watch it on my phone while I'm underground, yes loving please. Download the audio only just as easily without resorting to some website that 50/50 won't let me because it "contains music", yes please!!!

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 17, 2024

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

Not a single industrial fan? Not even like a normal fan?
https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/fanNoiseGenerator.php

There’s an “industrial fan” preset, among others

E: you might also enjoy ”Data Centre” :)

TACD fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 17, 2024

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

mynoise ftw

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elukka posted:

It's hilariously bad. You have to watch on mobile devices or "selected smart TVs" to get HD content. Otherwise it's 480p.

The only way to get full resolution video on PC on Netflix is on Edge because it's the only browser that supports some kind of encryption. I assume it's similar with "protected" YouTube videos.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a Netflix app as well which seems to just be a web view but the point stands regarding DRM

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

TACD posted:

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/fanNoiseGenerator.php

There’s an “industrial fan” preset, among others

E: you might also enjoy ”Data Centre” :)

I love this site so much. I use the majestic setting on waterfall

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/waterfallSoundGenerator.php

:hfive:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

What's the reason why they wouldn't use DRM on everything? I assume it has something to do with the costs associated with rolling it out, authenticating, various server overhead, potential customer problems, paying additional staff, licensing tech if they don't do it completely in-house, etc. Those costs, or potential costs, must be significant. Probably easier to just continue an arms race breaking such tools, as with ad blockers?

When I first discovered it, I was shocked how many titles from various sites can be downloaded with yt-dlp, no DRM on that stuff at all. Yet, random videos on (for instance) Tubi will have DRM enabled, most others don't. Just kinda interesting.

No to licensing cost -- widevine DRM is owned by google.

I'd put it mostly on avoiding customer problems. Youtube got where it is by being the most convenient, no barrier place to watch video.

Secondly, it'd add overhead during the encode process (when the video gets uploaded and converted into yt's formats). Less than the encoding itself, but people upload a lot of video to youtube. Google designs custom video encoding chips to handle it.

Third, it wouldn't help in their quest to make everyone watch ads. If you can watch a "free with ads" movie on youtube with ublock, you don't see ads!

And lastly, in the long term it doesn't do any good. All DRM is breakable, one way or another. There are pirate releases of streaming shows. The higher-protection encryption on like Netflix and HBO 4k streams is difficult, but not impossible. The low-protection version is pretty trivial by comparison and if google turned it on for all youtube I think you'd see automated tool appearing pretty quick. "The more you tighten your grip, the more pirates will slip through your fingers."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

he higher-protection encryption on like Netflix and HBO 4k streams is difficult, but not impossible.

Is it difficult? Wouldn't any decent screen capture software easily do it? If the video is showing on your screen and the audio is coming out of your speakers, seems it shouldn't exactly be hard.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

dr_rat posted:

Is it difficult? Wouldn't any decent screen capture software easily do it? If the video is showing on your screen and the audio is coming out of your speakers, seems it shouldn't exactly be hard.

The DRM is supposed to prevent screen recording as well. People who watch movies together over discord will often find they're just streaming a black screen to their friends unless they turn off hardware acceleration (which i think is required for 4K content on netflix). I think pirates generally just capture the decoded stream from memory rather than recording their screen though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

This is why netflix won't give you 4k streams on PC unless you're using Edge, with TPM turned on, and connected to a display with HDCP HDMI. And windows will block screen recording.

OTOH breaking HDMI protection is not difficult, so yeah you can feed video from anything that can watch the high-quality streams into a capture device. But that sucks. You lose quality by re-encoding, and have audio sync worries, and no subtitles, blech. The real pirates are attacking the encryption itself, finding ways to recover the keys and decrypt the whole thing. Now you don't have to capture and reencode anything, you have the full quality video exactly as Netflix made it, but without DRM.

susan b buffering posted:

I think pirates generally just capture the decoded stream from memory rather than recording their screen though.

I dunno what they're doing now, but until pretty recently they were using Nvidia Shields because they had a flaw that allowed an attacker to read from the protected enclave. No capture needed, just start the stream on a shield and grab the key, then download the entire thing and decrypt. gently caress waiting around for 8 hours capturing every episode of the new season, slurp up that whole thing in 20 minutes.

Then all the content providers revoked keys for the Shield, so people who paid $150 for the best streaming device now have pumpkins that are limited to 1080p basic streams.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume pirates still attack the video stream itself because they pull all the audio channels out and subtitles as well, and release it too quickly for it to have been done by capturing the video in real time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

dr_rat posted:

IIRC the image is decrypted on the monitor itself, so Windows could at best only capture an encrypted image. Usually it just shows up us a black blank image in the screen recording.

But as many other people itt already said, there many ways to get around the scheme. It's far from perfect and now only serves to deter the least motivated pirates.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Firefox and uBlock still keep me ad and pause free.

Which actually sucks at work because I get ad after ad for women's deodorant when I've got random videos on in the background. STOP TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR VAG ODOR YOU FREAKS

You should see the commercials on cable. Jesus christ. There was that Lume stuff that came out and had 50 commercials a day and now other major companies are starting to jump on board and you see fat women spraying their groin with a :smug: or teehee look.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Man I love my computer being compromised on a hardware level with dumb nonsense to guarantee I can't hit print screen while watching a thing. Meanwhile you can just pirate the shows and skip all of the nonsense.

It's incredibly stupid. People love convenience. They will pay for the Netflix subscription because it's easy. They could have no DRM at all and it wouldn't make a difference. In fact I also love convenience which is why I can't be arsed to pirate stuff but I also don't want to pay for streaming services due to all the nonsense so I don't watch stuff anymore.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

GABA ghoul posted:

IIRC the image is decrypted on the monitor itself, so Windows could at best only capture an encrypted image. Usually it just shows up us a black blank image in the screen recording.

But as many other people itt already said, there many ways to get around the scheme. It's far from perfect and now only serves to deter the least motivated pirates.

The encryption to the monitor is just HDCP, which is just the entire screen's image and always on (if available - apps can check if it's enabled for the current screen and will use this to decide what resolution to play at in their window). If you have a dodgy HDMI/DVI-D cable (same electrical signals, effectively) this is why you'll occasionally suddenly see colour static on your monitor/TV, because the HDCP decoder in the screen and the encoder in the computer lost synchronisation for encryption keys. As mentioned, this is fairly easily broken, it used to be you could just buy an "HDMI splitter" on aliexpress that'd remove HDCP as part of the splitting process though I think it might be harder than that now.

The images from your DRM-protected movie exist unencrypted in your Windows (or macOS) machine's RAM during playback, the only thing protecting them when you take a screenshot is the OS itself. When you press the screenshot button, the OS copied out all the graphical surfaces not marked "protected". The movie is marked "protected" so the screenshot function just doesn't copy it out into the screenshot image that it then saves. These protected surfaces generally also aren't accessible from user space (e.g. applications) at all, to make them harder to just grab from RAM.

I've heard one trick to just being able to screenshot DRM content is to just run your web browser in a VM. Since that just flattens all the content into the framebuffer that you see for the whole OS inside the VM's window, it can't be individually marked protected anymore, and the VM itself isn't marking the whole screen as protected either, so the screenshot works (though I'm sure some DRM developers are trying to detect VMs too - I know some anti-cheat game software tries to detect VMs and disable the game).

I feel like a lot of the development in OSs over the past 15 years or so has pretty much just been anti-consumer stuff like DRM and locked down "app stores".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Elukka posted:

In fact I also love convenience which is why I can't be arsed to pirate stuff but I also don't want to pay for streaming services due to all the nonsense so I don't watch stuff anymore.

:same:

I'm not so hard up for entertainment that I'm willing to deal with annoyances or inconvenience. I don't use the YouTube app and I never will: Firefox and ubo forever, or at least until it stops working, then just move onto one of three million other forms of entertainment.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stealing poo poo is easy and the people who are like "ohhhh it's too difficult" are very dumb. I put them above the people who refuse to use ad block but way below what qualifies as human.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When Netflix and Prime basically had everything and you could have both for £15 a month I gave up with downloading stuff, but then it all got fragmented again and every company involved decided to be as anti-consumer as possible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Stealing poo poo is easy and the people who are like "ohhhh it's too difficult" are very dumb. I put them above the people who refuse to use ad block but way below what qualifies as human.

How about people who screen recors a chiclet sized video of an-already pirated series (including the mouse and play bars), systematically grabbing every episode and uploading it?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Thanks Ants posted:

When Netflix and Prime basically had everything and you could have both for £15 a month I gave up with downloading stuff, but then it all got fragmented again and every company involved decided to be as anti-consumer as possible.

Very few people download any tv shows since there are a million streamer sites. Probably the only thing torrents are good for are some movies like Dune 2 where you think you can't live without 4k.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

How about people who screen recors a chiclet sized video of an-already pirated series (including the mouse and play bars), systematically grabbing every episode and uploading it?

loving jackasses crop your god drat videos you ripped from the web you worthless shits. I like to picture and picture (is it picture and picture if it's on a computer? Whatever I have video playing in a window) and do not appreciate the black bars. Anyway I do not get people who go through the trouble/risk to upload to like usenet for it to not be properly cropped/subbed.

I've had Sonarr/plex/nas/usenet etc. setup for awhile now it's the way to go if you're tech savvy enough to set it up if you aren't just use bittorrent and a vpn.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 17, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

shirunei posted:

Very few people download any tv shows since there are a million streamer sites. Probably the only thing torrents are good for are some movies like Dune 2 where you think you can't live without 4k.

It's getting bleak out there. Though I am part of the problem as I don't seed all that much, and my long term data preservation was a rip of a VHS Pirates of Penzance (1983) from back before it had a DVD release. But I recently misplaced it. Either on a harddrive that no longer works, or just deleting it for space since I got a cleaner version.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

This is really the biggest issue for me. Like, I am actually fine paying some money to stream poo poo for the convenience. I am not okay having to shell out like $100/month because the media I enjoy is scattered to the loving streaming winds and you need to subscribe to eight different services to see ten different shows/movies. loving insane.

To no one's shock it is absolutely just cable tv services adapted to stream on demand. The same packages system, the same fragmentation of titles, it's all the fucken same.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

once i started paying as much for streaming services as a cable package i cancelled everything and started just paying for internet and vpn again and it's been fine

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that annoying gecko still around

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Duck and Cover posted:

I wanted to rewatch Star Trek TNG a few weeks ago but the only stealing methods I could find (do we still get banned for talking about this?) were absurdly large file size 4k remastered versions.... it was almost inconvenient enough to make me pay for Paramount Plus.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

pyknosis posted:

I wanted to rewatch Star Trek TNG a few weeks ago but the only stealing methods I could find (do we still get banned for talking about this?) were absurdly large file size 4k remastered versions.... it was almost inconvenient enough to make me pay for Paramount Plus.

That's jut how it is. 1GB an episode would be okayish 1080p quality, and there's what, 176 episodes? You're going to be downloading a lot of data simply because of how many episodes there is.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
if you aren't bothering to get x265 HEVC 10bit HDR AAC rips of rocko's modern life then what the are you even doing. gently caress outta here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you are using a half-decent torrent program you can tell it to:
1. only download some files
2. prioritize some files to download them first when possible

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I know torrents still exist, but it really feels like a technology of the past. Like you're getting stuff off Kazaa or something.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

goatface posted:

I know torrents still exist, but it really feels like a technology of the past. Like you're getting stuff off Kazaa or something.

yeah but it's just how the streaming internet works except with a usable file at the end

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

goatface posted:

I'll admit it took some setting up, but I have a program that I give a list of TV shows to and I point it at my torrent client and my media centre software and it handles everything. I just turn the TV on and the shows are there, ready to watch from the comfort of my couch.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

No one tell them about Usenet lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

goatface posted:

I know, it's great