Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Klyith posted:

Volume being inconsistent is on whoever uploaded the videos. Someone didn't normalize the volume so it's too quiet, or compressed it hot to be louder, or whatever. Youtube doesn't mess with that, they just re-encode to their preferred formats.

If that's the case then some people really pump the volume for their own sponsorship breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
They probably get told to. Most of those influencers are shotting absolutely anything for anyone

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jisae posted:

If that's the case then some people really pump the volume for their own sponsorship breaks.

It's the new media copying the worst traits of television

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
just a heads up youtube enhancer for firefox was broken for a little while but it's good now.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

Volume being inconsistent is on whoever uploaded the videos. Someone didn't normalize the volume so it's too quiet, or compressed it hot to be louder, or whatever. Youtube doesn't mess with that, they just re-encode to their preferred formats.

fun fact, for a while (2008 or so) youtube actually did do this, and was constantly applying their magic compressor to people's videos to help "normalize volume"

this ended up making some people upload their videos with a constant, high-pitched whine to fool youtube's encoders

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Jisae posted:

Lately I've noticed that volume is no longer consistent video-to-video so in order to hear anything I have to jack the volume up and then get spooked by how loving loud any windows/discord notifications are. Personally I'm using firefox and ublock but my partner has a paid youtube subscription and the volume issue is also present for them.
I also use closed captioning and within the past week or two captions don't line up, are too fast, and the ends of sentences are just, not there at all. Surely this is against ADA requirements regardless of how pissy youtube gets about adblockers.

...Right?

There's no government-established standard for captions on youtube, and a lot of captions issues are the captions being poorly done(a lot of captions services for youtube are voluntary or auto-generated), but if that's not the issue then it's bitstream packet/transmission loss.

With the split audio/video, you can end up with a desync, but usually captions are time-coded to video.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The inbuilt youtube autocaptions are so poo poo. Yes, just censor or entirely miss out any even slightly offensive or naughty words. Great. I'm sure those who are deaf or deafened will thank you for that. It's great that they exist at all, but it also drives me mad.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Nettle Soup posted:

The inbuilt youtube autocaptions are so poo poo. Yes, just censor or entirely miss out any even slightly offensive or naughty words. Great. I'm sure those who are deaf or deafened will thank you for that. It's great that they exist at all, but it also drives me mad.

anyone who’s ever interacted with deaf people knows they hate to swear and are absolutely terrible at it :dumb:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I figured they had given up for at least a while because I haven't seen ANY adblock notice in a month or so

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Seven Force posted:

I figured they had given up for at least a while because I haven't seen ANY adblock notice in a month or so

morale is dire over there right now. can’t imagine anyone assigned to this nonsense has their heart in it. plus with the way google works internally anyone with the talent to keep this garbage going will inevitably be promoted to the next big shiny project. it’s a death sentence to your career otherwise

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Thanks for the info on captions/volume. I've never encountered this many issues before youtube started to cry about "the money!" but I guess it's all just coincidental. :shepface:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

TrashMammal posted:

morale is dire over there right now. can’t imagine anyone assigned to this nonsense has their heart in it. plus with the way google works internally anyone with the talent to keep this garbage going will inevitably be promoted to the next big shiny project. it’s a death sentence to your career otherwise

Well, I'm glad they gave me the motivation to get youtube-dl setup properly before giving up.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The ads are now literally three times as long now if you aren't blocking ads though lol. On a roku device you used to be able to skip ads regularly after like 5-10 seconds, now it's like 30 and there's 10 ads crammed in those 30 seconds.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Akratic Method posted:

Well, I'm glad they gave me the motivation to get youtube-dl setup properly before giving up.

Isn't yt-dlp the currently hottest version of that? Or I dunno haven't followed Youtube lore recently

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, that one. I immediately set up aliases for downloading and formatting things the way I want, and then promptly forgot what the real command was.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've started watching yt while signed out because of ads for a month or 2, but a couple days ago I started getting the ad popup window whining about my dad blocking even while logged out. Clearing cashe and such in unlock doesn't seem to ever do anything.

But I just found out your can just "block element" on the window and continue anyway. This is so stupid.

Seriously, why do they not put ads off to the side? They have the screen realistate (at least on my desktop screen). They are so insufferably hellbent on inserting ads into my fuckin nostrils, which mean ADBLOCK and they get nothin!! God drat.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 17, 2024

Feb 17, 2024
The App that crashes Daily™

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I had company over today and we were watching YouTube videos on the smart TV using the main app.

We got a five minute advertisement for "fleshy" fleshlights. I was and still am aghast that this got allowed on their ad services, though maybe I shouldn't be surprised given how many shittysuggestive mobile game ads they've been forcing lately.

YouTube: "watch our sex toy ads you FUCKS"

:psyduck: how is this real life

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Did you try yelling FLESHLIGHT at it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just wait until somebody does this

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
loving hell.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

MACDONAL!!!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

fun fact, for a while (2008 or so) youtube actually did do this, and was constantly applying their magic compressor to people's videos to help "normalize volume"

this ended up making some people upload their videos with a constant, high-pitched whine to fool youtube's encoders

Makes sense, it was peak Angry Gamer back then

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
YT has some volume control in that very loud videos get their poo poo dampened (probably with a simple dynamic limiter) so they don't clip anymore, but there is nothing to help quiet videos.

If you right click a vid and go to stats for nerds, there is a value for (content loudness)
The 'consensus' if to have it somewhere around -6 to -3dB; sometimes you see -10 or less which is when you have to raise main Windows volume to hear anything.
If that value is positive, it's way too loud.

e; this is for a desktop Chrome browser, no idea about mobile apps etc

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 17, 2024

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Watched a 30 minute video on my ps4 last night so through the official app. There were 5 breaks for ads, just absurd. I'm really glad I watch most things through SmartTube.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

sauer kraut posted:

YT has some volume control in that very loud videos get their poo poo dampened (probably with a simple dynamic limiter) so they don't clip anymore, but there is nothing to help quiet videos.

If you right click a vid and go to stats for nerds, there is a value for (content loudness)
The 'consensus' if to have it somewhere around -6 to -3dB; sometimes you see -10 or less which is when you have to raise main Windows volume to hear anything.
If that value is positive, it's way too loud.

e; this is for a desktop Chrome browser, no idea about mobile apps etc

Yeah, it kind of sucks that I'll watch older content by creators who have since greatly improved their production values and I just have to click out of it because I know that I'll raise the volume and then forget that I raised the volume and when I watch the next thing, I'll get blasted in the ears by my 7.2 setup and freak out that I've damaged something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Also, :wtc: is up with Youtube ads? I was accidentally logged out and tried to watch a video and got a super loud ad about how the 2nd Civil War is going to make the I/P conflict look like child's play. :bravo:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The General posted:

before google and recaptcha started dominating everything you had a handful of various captcha services, and one of them involved making you watch a short ad and then writing in an answer, more or less exactly like this

also i hope this is just a mockup and not a real thing because lmao

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The General posted:

Jesus Christ, Black Mirror was not supposed to be an inspirational guiding star. The Torment Nexus indeed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Also, :wtc: is up with Youtube ads? I was accidentally logged out and tried to watch a video and got a super loud ad about how the 2nd Civil War is going to make the I/P conflict look like child's play. :bravo:

I've noticed them putting in unskippable 30s ads lately, I think before you either had long ads that could always be skipped after 5s, or the longest one that you couldn't skip was 10s.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mercury_Storm posted:

The ads are now literally three times as long now if you aren't blocking ads though lol. On a roku device you used to be able to skip ads regularly after like 5-10 seconds, now it's like 30 and there's 10 ads crammed in those 30 seconds.

I caved and bought premium in Uruguay 🇺🇾

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

before google and recaptcha started dominating everything you had a handful of various captcha services, and one of them involved making you watch a short ad and then writing in an answer, more or less exactly like this

also i hope this is just a mockup and not a real thing because lmao

I think I remember something like this on Hulu a longass time ago and then I basically never used streaming again

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The General posted:

Sounds like a cool forums feature. Before you can quote a post, chatgpt would give you a short quiz to check if you actually read it. I hope you are seeing this JEFFREY. The incidents of people replying to posts without reading them are through the roof

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Sounds like a cool forums feature. Before you can quote a post, chatgpt would give you a short quiz to check if you actually read it. I hope you are seeing this JEFFREY. The incidents of people replying to posts without reading them are through the roof

nobody even mentioned Epstein, dude

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

"I'm sorry, the main topic of the post you're trying to reply to was Pnurtis, not forums features. Please try again later."

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

The General posted:

Holy poo poo, the instant they do this in earnest I hope the asteroid hits.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Revanced works really well on my phone and tablet. A little buggy and sometimes I gotta refresh/reload the window, but ads can suckle my butthole. Thank god for SponsorBlock too; sorry Funny Internet Man, but your five-minute-long short film-style commercials stopped being funny after the fifth one, and even if they were, I'm not going to listen to you shill for a scam product like NordVPN.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

sponsorblock sounds like a good idea in theory, but if you’re purposefully watching stuff that needs sponsorblock you’ve probably already inflicted irreversible psychic damage on yourself

still time to save what’s left though

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I know nobody will ever do this because having worked with advertisers I know they're dumb as poo poo and scared little idiots, but I'd love a sponsor that has a spot like:

"Yeah so there's not really a difference between X and our competitors except we give a poo poo about this person and they don't. Buy our poo poo: we're not better except for giving this cool person money."

Or "Buy our poo poo because we helped this cool person afford to do dumb stuff for your entertainment. We are cool by proxy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

sponsorblock sounds like a good idea in theory, but if you’re purposefully watching stuff that needs sponsorblock you’ve probably already inflicted irreversible psychic damage on yourself

still time to save what’s left though

It's also helpful for music videos and other things with skits or whatever intro and you just wanna skip right to the good parts.

I think sponsorblock can also help you identify good channels from bad. A good channel will have a short one that's self contained and would be clearly marked even if you didn't have sponsorblock. They seem appropriately ashamed of having to resort to sponsorship at all, but it let's them not have to work at Applebee's anymore so gotta do it.

But if you stray too far from your subscriptions you start seeing whole green bar videos because these people are no longer trying to make a living off their interests and creations, they just want a bigger mcmansion and will do whatever is the current algorithm pleasing behaviour and content to get rich while they still can.