Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Like 80% of the good original poo poo on youtube simply wouldn’t exist if youtube wasn’t trying to deepthroat you with ads. the money has to come from somewhere

It's weird though because people who block ads aren't very high-value targets for advertisers. In some ways ad-blocking is a benefit to the advertisers because people who block ads are generally less likely to find ads compelling enough to click through and convert, which allows the advertisers to reach a higher-value audience for lower costs (they're paying for fewer impressions and those impressions are more likely to purchase).

The only entity that's hurt by ad blocking is the ad provider itself, Google. By banning ad blockers, they get to charge advertisers for a bunch of extra low-value impressions that are unlikely to convert. This doesn't affect the pay that goes to content providers, it just shaves some of Google's margins off.

I guess it hurts massive corporations with marketing budgets so large that putting the biggest possible numbers on paper becomes more important than actual RoI too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

You know you look like an advert, Flubber Nuts? Like an overgrown brochure. Anyone ever tell you that?

this is the worst insult to have ever been levelled against me. i was just trying to do a joke and now everyones really mad and yelling at me. i think im going to log off for a bit (ten minutes) :( im sorry everyone i take it all back. ill be watching the commercial channel in my home made commercial dome. goodbye.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's weird though because people who block ads aren't very high-value targets for advertisers. In some ways ad-blocking is a benefit to the advertisers because people who block ads are generally less likely to find ads compelling enough to click through and convert, which allows the advertisers to reach a higher-value audience for lower costs (they're paying for fewer impressions and those impressions are more likely to purchase).

The only entity that's hurt by ad blocking is the ad provider itself, Google. By banning ad blockers, they get to charge advertisers for a bunch of extra low-value impressions that are unlikely to convert. This doesn't affect the pay that goes to content providers, it just shaves some of Google's margins off.

I guess it hurts massive corporations with marketing budgets so large that putting numbers on paper becomes more important than actual RoI too.
The creators get paid by impressions, not conversions.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh lmao, I didn't realize Youtube does weird MLM gymnastics to pass ad view metrics on to creators who aren't in control of them. On a sensible platform the creators would get paid for views of their content or licensing, not ad impressions.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 15, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

can you believe that flubber nuts guy? jesus. well he’s gone now, so we can go back to talking about our favorite ads.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

mines the folgers one where the siblings gently caress

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
professional crime documentary people (not some kid with Youtube Voice)got demonetized for talking about crime and had to edit every time they said 'blood' to say 'red' instead lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

R.L. Stine posted:

professional crime documentary people (not some kid with Youtube Voice)got demonetized for talking about crime and had to edit every time they said 'blood' to say 'red' instead lol

If you send a creator $10 on Patreon or whatever you've essentially paid them the same amount that Youtube would pay them if you viewed ~220 12+ second ads on their videos

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

anyone can copyright strike your account or if they don't like you and you can't do anything about it lol. people literally have to seek youtube employees out on linkedin to get their stuff fixed. garbage platform. love the content tho

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

If you send a creator $10 on Patreon or whatever you've essentially paid them the same amount that Youtube would pay them if you viewed ~220 12+ second ads on their videos

that's true i would actually prefer most creators put the good stuff on patreon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In my dystopian future novel the primary source of income will be getting paid to sit in a box and watch ads for 8+ hours daily

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think that a lot of the issues with Youtube derive from a mish-mash of half-measures and capitalism poisoning. Creators have to use sponsors or patreon in order to fund their efforts particularly when they want to do more than simply blather into a camera in a dark room. Youtube has to rely on ad revenue and their (the advertisers) demands are both mercurial and narrow hence why they have to be puritanical and profit-seeking. When they started off I suspect that profit was secondary to creators and that idealism carried on until the early 2010's

That said. Show me the alternative where people can upload a video about themselves fixing a HGX-6458 Samsung washing machine. Show me where some young Indian guy can produce a barely audible video with the buzz of fans in the background where he describes the setup and uses of the Chinese Milk-V CPU/TPU module. Show me where I can watch episodes of Computer Chronicles from 1987. There's nowhere else.

I think it's easy to be clever, jaded and snarky but Youtube is loving amazing and I think it's worthy of support despite it being part of a lovely fuckhole corporation Google.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Like 80% of the good original poo poo on youtube simply wouldn’t exist if youtube wasn’t trying to deepthroat you with ads. the money has to come from somewhere

Most of the people I give a poo poo about that upload on YouTube aren't floated by YouTube itself anymore because of how unstable it all is. Between seemingly arbitrary shifts in rules, algorithms and the whims of content claim bots that'll try and claim literal static, you're going to get hosed by something and if you get hosed one too many times, you've got no real recourse. Disputing content id claims is notoriously difficult and ultimately useless because you can file spurious claims endlessly with no consequences, unlike having them filed against you.

They do take YouTube money afaik, but the lion's share of their budget comes from stuff like Patreon, direct sponsorships, and their own merch. The ones I follow make no secret about it, nor their disgust with the entire apparatus.

Moreover, Google is making more selling my data than what I'm "robbing" them of by blocking ads, sorry. As far as I'm concerned, they have their pound of flesh, and are making a mistake by loving with the one thing that actually gets people motivated to take action: their conveniences.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

If you skip or block the ads, it's the same as stealing

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thesaurus posted:

I don't agree with that either

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Thesaurus posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I wasn’t kidding about government subsidies for youtube premium. it would be totally justifiable if congress decided to pony up for this

There should just be public utilities for the main internet services everyone wants to use but nobody likes seeing monetized since it inherently makes those services worse. People need a place to yell online about the news. They need a place to share pictures. They need a place to share videos. They need a place to post or share links to stuff people want to see or talk about.

Build two less missiles a year and spend the money on hosting all the basic poo poo we wanna gonna do online apparently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

In my dystopian future novel the primary source of income will be getting paid to sit in a box and watch ads for 8+ hours daily

They did a Black Mirror of that

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've been watching more YouTube than Netflix so I dropped Netflix and bought a premium subscription like 8 months ago.

Their music app is redundant to what i already have but it seems fine.

Sorry 😐.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

anyone can copyright strike your account or if they don't like you and you can't do anything about it lol. people literally have to seek youtube employees out on linkedin to get their stuff fixed. garbage platform. love the content tho
You can just file a counter notice which takes like 1 minute and your content goes back up, unless they sue you in a court of law.

this stuff is frustrating for creators but platforms like youtube can’t do anything about it. it’s copyright law :shrug: someone could be issuing takedown notices against your post and jeff would have to do the same as youtube.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grey Cat posted:

I'm going to keep closing it and watching videos without ads.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

:shrug: I'm just going to keep using my free uBlock Origin which isn't getting these notices until it either can't be made to work anymore or Google shuts Youtube down (:lol: if you believe Google will actually do that).

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

:O

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I'd rather continue watching Salvia Erik do hilarious NordVPN ads than any of that other poo poo Youtube would throw at me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rubberduke posted:

I'd rather continue watching Salvia Erik do hilarious NordVPN ads than any of that other poo poo Youtube would throw at me.

I got sick of them so I block those too. I might not have bothered with sponsor block had there been more than like 10 sponsors. Raycon, Hello Fresh, Squarespace, Raid Shadow Legends, Nord VPN, Surf Shark, Skillshare, I'm sure I'm missing some but you get the point.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Thesaurus posted:

It's OK I love doing crimes

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rocketmoney is the funniest one to me

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Tarkus posted:

I agree. I think people underestimate the cultural importance and utility of Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEdZbZlBH8

Behold, YouTube's cultural importance and utility.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'll watch ads when the people creating the content get a proper payout from it. Pretending any of the cast revenue YouTube makes goes to creators is naive and/or stupid as gently caress.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I think I could at least entertain a thought about buying YouTube premium for the gently caress of it, but poo poo like this:

R.L. Stine posted:

reminds me that YT gets progressively worse. The weird censorship, where people need to use some tumblrish newspeak like "unalived" instead of "died" because they might get hit with an automatic complaint and demonetised is what kills the current YT. And I don't know what is this supposed to affect, hate speech and bigots still get their content in to the recommendations, right wing media treats YT like an all-out battlefield and trolls attack people without any kind of push against. It's just toothless, lame excuses to make advertisers happy. And if only the payouts for creators were actually worth this, but no, most of the youtubers are lucky if they see low double-digits for their work.

Also, removing features like community captions or annotations is unforgivable, esp. the subs. I did some localized captions for various videos to make them more approachable to people, and while the tool to prepare those wasn't the best, it was something at least. There are absolutely creators and channels who should be treated better, but otoh I don't have enough patience to jump over new idiotic obstacles to watch some stupid poo poo before sleep, I have four bookshelves of unread books and god knows how much movies to watch instead

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

for fucks sake posted:

It's OK I love doing crimes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Haven't been hit by this so far. If I do maybe I'll get a nebula subscription

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

as a fan of simracing i download so many cars

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I have made a vow to never buy anything or use a service that advertises on Youtube.

I do block it on the PC, but my phone won't block it seems, so I have to wait 2x15 seconds to play a 3 minute video.

They will pay for wasting my time. They will all pay dearly.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I keep getting an ad on youtube reminding me of the victims of the hamas terrorist attack.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Israeli govt. bought a load.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just started getting pop ups on chrome that I can't close until a timer runs down. Guess I'm moving to Firefox now. Every now and then, I'll watch YouTube on my phone or somewhere else without ad blockers or sponsorskip. Every video is something like 25 percent ads. It's a joke.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

flubber nuts posted:

this is the worst insult to have ever been levelled against me. i was just trying to do a joke and now everyones really mad and yelling at me. i think im going to log off for a bit (ten minutes) :( im sorry everyone i take it all back. ill be watching the commercial channel in my home made commercial dome. goodbye.

I appreciate both of your references, flubber nuts and END CHEMTRAILS NOW :golfclap:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Comstar posted:

I have made a vow to never buy anything or use a service that advertises on Youtube.

I do block it on the PC, but my phone won't block it seems, so I have to wait 2x15 seconds to play a 3 minute video.

They will pay for wasting my time. They will all pay dearly.

Use Firefox as your phone browser and install uBlock there, or use an app like NewPipe that blocks youtube ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

numberoneposter posted:

i just got youtube premium as i often will put youtube on the TV and fall asleep and let the algorithm take over and wake up at 2:00 am on the couch to who knows what playing

You are me