Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Why would you pay $14 for that... especially before this ad-blocker-blocker poo poo?

Personally, because I watch like 10 hours of youtube a day and don't mind paying for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Actually I am freeloading off a former friends family account. Haven't spoken to the guy in years. Eventually he's bound to get more friends and kick me off. If he does, I'll pay again.

And I stopped using ad blockers a longass time ago. There was an arms race forever ago and I got really tired of having to update my blockers/change blockers/try a different browser and blocker combo every other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Croccers posted:

Lol.
For the last like 6+ years, up until now, all you had to do was run uBlock Origin on Chrome/Firefox.

If anything it's those loving Fandom Wikis that you had to constantly pick block poo poo to make them viewable sites.

Easily more than 10+ years ago. Probably 15+ years ago.

Duck and Cover posted:

Why would you admit to this? Ad blockers are dirt easy to use and yet you're like :smug: I'm the smart one for deciding not to use them.

No shade thrown at those who do use them. Just explaining why I don't. I use the service enough that paying would be justified if I personally paid for it (Have in the past, likely will in the future).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Which part am I lying about?? :confused:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I also pay for streaming services to watch shows I like :eyepop:

Edit: Speaking of, if anybody is paying for youtubes in here you should watch the YouTube Originals™ Weird City (comedy Black Mirror) and Wayne (disgruntled delinquent teen goes across country to reclaim his dad's car).

The General fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 19, 2023

The General
Mar 4, 2007

See above. I used to, just got tired of fighting the good fight and gave up never to return. Outside of Fandom I don't even really notice ads.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Elukka posted:

But what fight? Like you install it once and then it's there and you never touch it. I'm pretty sure I installed it for my mom like five years ago and she has probably forgotten it exists and it still blocks the ads just fine.

A very very long time ago there was a crackdown on ad blockers and everyday for like a week I had to fiddle with something to make them work. So I just stopped trying and have never bothered to go back. Yes I am a quitter at most things in life.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have a lot of free time, and shitposting is more fun than installing extensions.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

hbag posted:

people use edge?

Only for PDFs, and only because for some reason it turned itself into my default PDF viewer?? Probably when I upgraded to Windows 10. I don't gently caress around with PDFs on my computer enough to change it. But yeah, don't think I've ever used Edge for actually going to a webpage.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just want to laugh at everybody who told me that ad blockers are 100% install once and never think about it again :laugh:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm not a bootlicker :colbert: I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or that you're stealing money from starving CEOs.

I just can't be assed to wrestle with extensions and hop browsers every other week.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This has to be the first time in history I've seen something cheaper in Canada than America.

According to my searches it's still only 13bux Canadian which is like 9 bucks American or something.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

buglord posted:

Despite being a YouTube premium subscriber I deleted the app on both my iPhone and iPad and use a combination of Vinegar and UnTrap to allow background play and get rid of any Shorts ever.

They're so desperate to get shorts to work. I can watch a whole 30minute video on the homepage with sound. A short preview doesn't give any sound and cuts out after like 5 seconds. The one use for a short, and they don't use it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just wait until somebody does this

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The other day I did a search for some pics on google and 7/12 of the top results were all AI generated garbage pictures. On a lark I wanted to see if Edge and Bing could do any better, thankfully Edge immediately told me not to waste my time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dropped Chrome for Firefox. Still haven't installed any ad blockers. But overall my PC runs much nicer now.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

shirunei posted:

Very few people download any tv shows since there are a million streamer sites. Probably the only thing torrents are good for are some movies like Dune 2 where you think you can't live without 4k.

It's getting bleak out there. Though I am part of the problem as I don't seed all that much, and my long term data preservation was a rip of a VHS Pirates of Penzance (1983) from back before it had a DVD release. But I recently misplaced it. Either on a harddrive that no longer works, or just deleting it for space since I got a cleaner version.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

pyknosis posted:

I wanted to rewatch Star Trek TNG a few weeks ago but the only stealing methods I could find (do we still get banned for talking about this?) were absurdly large file size 4k remastered versions.... it was almost inconvenient enough to make me pay for Paramount Plus.

Paramount Plus isn't any better, it's also the lovely remastered versions. I just want the originals JFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: whoops, I thought this was the things getting shittier thread. Huge overlap.

All threads are the things are getting shittier thread.