Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

incoherent light posted:

My YouTube got cut off for ad blocking. and when the two-extension trick I was using after that stopped working, I just started started using Brave and I'm still ad-free again. I'm not giving Google any more money. I will download the videos and watch them from my hard drive if I have to. I will die, AD-FREE, on this hill

this is what I started doing. I put yt-dlp into a docker container and now whenever I see a video I want to watch I just download it instead.

e: I will delete it when done and re-download it to maximize bandwidth costs to Google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
early 00's me had that for free. youtube is just a lovely version of Napster

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

GolfHole posted:

this really assumes way too much. like ad algorithms are some sort of demigod all-knowing terror.

ads are exceptionally dumb. they are fired at you based on extremely loose associations of words, search terms, and app permissions. if you type something like "vacuum" into google you tick a box for household items, and so that's one of many ads you'll see.

theyre just spreadsheets like anything else. more often than not the information contained in those spreadsheets is impartial and/or inaccurate, filled with garbage searches you've made over the years, and diluted and skewed heavily by the few 'positive' hits you have made on certain items.

ads cannot know you better than you know yourself. they are automated but mostly dumb conditional-logic csv files with tons of bells and whistles. marketers like to pretend there is something far more complex at work but this is very untrue. it's no miracle that married people in their 30's might need a vacuum cleaner, or that men over 35 care about balding.

this isn't even close to reality. when I worked for yahoo search marketing 15 years ago you were already behind on your technology assessment.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Well don't keep us waiting. I want to hear all the juicy details about decade old ad tech.

here's a ten year old article demonstrating how target, tracking user trends, was able to do things like predict pregnancy in customers. what we were doing was far more invasive than even this. and Google is far better at it than yahoo ever was. extrapolate accordingly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/