Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Khanstant posted:

Also seems like the adblocking crowd would make for a bad audience anyway, these are the people who hate ads enough to do something about it and finally sneaking some past them doesn't seem like it would do you any good.

I feel like adblock users right now might be studied, siloed, and A-B tested (or whatever asinine software developer jargon applies).

It's possible this might simply be a blunt escalation in the overall war of a megacompany versus its users, but with all the different experiences I'm reading in this thread, it also seems possible to me that there's a behavior study going on. In other words, maybe this isn't the onslaught, maybe it's the probing. They're curiously poking the anthill.

The variety of experiences are admittedly just more likely due to the variety of setups people have as well.

At any rate, here's my experience: I just blocked the Adblockers Are Not Allowed thing and haven't been bothered since. I let uBlock update itself and mostly leave it alone.

But in the past I have also manually blocked a bunch of other unwanted items YouTube has:
  • the "videowall" of thumbnails that shows up after every video
  • the "shorts" thing that you can't get rid of permanently ("Ok, we'll bring it back in a month!")
  • All youtube comments
  • The sidebar showing you other videos you could be watching while you watch the video you want to watch (STFU and just play the video)

So maybe I'm lucky, maybe I've somehow preemptively shielded myself against their more aggressive adblock-blocking, maybe my behavior is just being studied right now, maybe I'm overthinking it because this is very entertaining...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LividLiquid posted:

Y'all, I really can't stress enough that "well it hasn't happened for me, therefore I did something right" is ignoring the fact that they're not rolling this out to everybody right away, and even randomizing when you raise to the next tier.

If it hasn't hit you yet, it will. You didn't do something rad none of us could figure out. They do this to bury the mountain of bad reactions they'd get if they fully rolled it out to everybody all at once.

Yep. I forgot to mention this, with my amateur fiddling with YouTube, plus whatever scripts they're running, I now have to click on a video three times before it will play.

Worth never seeing an ad.

Anyway, whatever they do, I don't care. YouTube is not a friggin lifeline.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Animal-Mother posted:

Lane tries to commit suicide with the exhaust from his car before realizing it's a Tesla.

so he just drives it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Shoot, this is Mozilla's windfall, and I'm 51% sure they'll find a way to ruin it or allow it to be ruined.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Elukka posted:

I guess this is the usual Google attitude: "gently caress you, we're Google, you'll use our service anyway."
a) this is everyone (gently caress you, you need to buy gas/eggs/milk anyway)
b) they're right, most users people will endure anything to use product

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

The lovely thing is they know that they can keep pushing this on everyone for now because.....well, what's the alternative? Nothing comes even close. And so for now the steady enshittification will continue unchecked.

for YouTube specifically: the alternative is doing something else. Nothing on YouTube is worth enduring a single ad for.*

I also suggest that if you're willing to endure a single ad for a YouTube video, you'll put up with anything else the platform puts you through. Maybe you don't see it that way, but I guarantee you that they do.

If you are ever forced to view an ad in YouTube, consider just not using it and find something else to do. Not because this will send a message to YouTube, or result in some change in their behavior. Digital consumer boycotts are meaningless and don't work because most consumers will suffer through anything to alleviate their boredom or get their fix.

Do it for yourself and your own dignity, unless for some reason, you have no choice but to use the product. In which case, you have my sympathy, this must be a maddening time.

*I hope this is obvious: if you have no choice but to use the platform for something vital to your life or living, this doesn't apply to you. I'm sorry you are being forced to use a Google product.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 20, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GolfHole posted:

if companies need ad impressions so much why dont they just set up billions of virtual machines to serve the ads to, bing bong

Ah, the wells fargo approach.

a) advertisers and shareholders are, unlike humans, able to impose pain on google for this kind of chicanery
b) they may do something like this anyway

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Smik posted:

I know nobody will ever do this because having worked with advertisers I know they're dumb as poo poo and scared little idiots, but I'd love a sponsor that has a spot like:

"Yeah so there's not really a difference between X and our competitors except we give a poo poo about this person and they don't. Buy our poo poo: we're not better except for giving this cool person money."

Or "Buy our poo poo because we helped this cool person afford to do dumb stuff for your entertainment. We are cool by proxy!"

The very early days of Hulu would do something like this: "This episode of _____ was brought to you, commercial free, by _____. Enjoy the show." Sometimes a whole movie would be ad-free except for that 7 second spot. Didn't expect that to last, of course, but it was nice.

Of course, early TV and radio would have the entire show sponsored by one company. And shows like Jack Benny would poke fun at the actual sponsor, or the idea of the ad spot itself. I was watching a couple old Red Skelton shows and there'd be a straight 7 minute segment full of (corny) jokes that would lead, inappropriately, to mention of the sponsor. Example: a frustrated couple on a desert island, arguing over whether the dirty state of their laundry was why they couldn't flag down a rescue ship. Five minutes another ship shows up and the man whips out a box of Tide to clean the clothing with. The audience is laughing in part because they are in on the joke: the joke is that ads are lame as hell, and this is as lame an ad as we could come up with. We hate 'em, you hate 'em, let's have some fun. The product becomes cool by proxy.

This isn't identical to what you're suggesting, but it's very similar: we, the corporation, are directly financing or bringing you this abject wackiness. Big difference from "we paid money to interrupt this thing you want to see with something that we want you to see. It has nothing to do with what you've been watching, and you have no choice but to watch it if you want to continue seeing the thing you're actually here for."

One is akin to patronage, the other is the marketplace of content and ads. (They both suck, but one is much worse.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Welp, some ads snuck onto a YouTube video for the first time in... years. Back to yt-dl for a day or two.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder when they're directing more energy at yt-dlp. I'm sure that day is coming. Using any kind of DRM would do it, right?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What's the reason why they wouldn't use DRM on everything? I assume it has something to do with the costs associated with rolling it out, authenticating, various server overhead, potential customer problems, paying additional staff, licensing tech if they don't do it completely in-house, etc. Those costs, or potential costs, must be significant. Probably easier to just continue an arms race breaking such tools, as with ad blockers?

When I first discovered it, I was shocked how many titles from various sites can be downloaded with yt-dlp, no DRM on that stuff at all. Yet, random videos on (for instance) Tubi will have DRM enabled, most others don't. Just kinda interesting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Elukka posted:

In fact I also love convenience which is why I can't be arsed to pirate stuff but I also don't want to pay for streaming services due to all the nonsense so I don't watch stuff anymore.

:same:

I'm not so hard up for entertainment that I'm willing to deal with annoyances or inconvenience. I don't use the YouTube app and I never will: Firefox and ubo forever, or at least until it stops working, then just move onto one of three million other forms of entertainment.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

goatface posted:

I know torrents still exist, but it really feels like a technology of the past. Like you're getting stuff off Kazaa or something.
I know, it's great

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Microplastics posted:

Is it hard to set up and use? I'd love to give it a try but the link provided just took me to a github page and for the life of me I couldn't find the manual or even find a "download" button

to use: yt-dlp.exe url

to update: yt-dlp.exe --update

here are some useful notes I refer to now and then. Mostly to make videos less onerous to deal with when they don't need to be 4K monsters:
code:
# Download the best video available but no better than 480p,
# or the worst video if there is no video under 480p
$ yt-dlp -f "bv*[height<=480]+ba/b[height<=480] / wv*+ba/w"

# Same as above, but for 1080p on videos that have nutso resolutions
$ yt-dlp.exe -f "bv*[height<=1080]+ba/b[height<=480] / wv*+ba/w"

download a specific time range
--download-sections REGEX
--download-sections "*93-111" (downloads from 93 seconds to 111 seconds)
--download-sections "*10:00.00-inf" (downloads from 10 minutes to end of video) untested

specify 480p
yt-dlp -S "res:480"

extract audio (may need ffmpeg.exe in same directory)
yt-dlp.exe --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jabarto posted:

loving around with 35 year old tech that no normal person will ever want or need to care about.

Downloading web videos at all is already this