Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vegetable posted:

youtube premium is great. this poo poo should be subsidized by the state

I agree. A lot of people seem to have a bee up their rear end about paying youtube as a streaming service. Youtube, unlike netflix and the other streaming services, provides an enormously important cultural ground. You can complain about all kinds of things about it and they're all valid but Youtube is like the equivalent of the printing press for the modern age for better or worse and I have no problem supporting that despite its flaws.

Is it because Youtube started off as free that people have such an aversion to paying for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

atomicpile posted:

It’s because the ads are intrusive. The audio isn’t normalized. They happen randomly. The amount of ads makes long videos unwatchable. And the big one, youtube/google already makes money soaking up personal information.

It’s also about a 99% sure thing that sometime in the future “premium” will still have ads ala Amazon prime.

Yeah, but you're complaining about poo poo that exists across the net, ad funded crap. The 'Advertisements even when paying in the future' thing is an odd assertion.

It's entirely possible that they might serve Youtube premium with ads but for the time being they are not and thus I get to watch youtube without a myriad of tools, hacks and vpns. I used to pay 100 bucks or more for cable, I'll happily pay 12 bucks or whatever for an ad free experience on a platform that enjoy watching. That's just my feeling on it tho.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vegetable posted:

I wasn’t kidding about government subsidies for youtube premium. it would be totally justifiable if congress decided to pony up for this

I agree. I think people underestimate the cultural importance and utility of Youtube.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think that a lot of the issues with Youtube derive from a mish-mash of half-measures and capitalism poisoning. Creators have to use sponsors or patreon in order to fund their efforts particularly when they want to do more than simply blather into a camera in a dark room. Youtube has to rely on ad revenue and their (the advertisers) demands are both mercurial and narrow hence why they have to be puritanical and profit-seeking. When they started off I suspect that profit was secondary to creators and that idealism carried on until the early 2010's

That said. Show me the alternative where people can upload a video about themselves fixing a HGX-6458 Samsung washing machine. Show me where some young Indian guy can produce a barely audible video with the buzz of fans in the background where he describes the setup and uses of the Chinese Milk-V CPU/TPU module. Show me where I can watch episodes of Computer Chronicles from 1987. There's nowhere else.

I think it's easy to be clever, jaded and snarky but Youtube is loving amazing and I think it's worthy of support despite it being part of a lovely fuckhole corporation Google.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thesaurus posted:

If you skip or block the ads, it's the same as stealing

I don't agree with that either

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Internet Old One posted:

I’m not sure if you’re serious about the 14 dollars. Go on any streaming service and check out all the old TV shows that are only there as a cheap way of inflating their library numbers and remember that a bunch of people died after spending most of their waking free time watching that poo poo.

What do you mean 'a bunch of people died'? like from being sedentary? are the shows haunted?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

No. 6 posted:

Ad-free YouTube and YouTube Music are a "fair" price for the content. Unless you want to go to Netflix or Hulu or whatnot which cost more, have fewer services, arguably worse content, and still might get ads.

All streaming is a joke.

No, don't you get it? I'd rather endure ads to the point of attrition or have some Rube Goldberg-esque device/software to block the ads because Youtube was free in 2006 and it should be free 17 years later. No don't talk about the other paid streaming services I have where I spend an hour going through menus and then finally settle on watching Youtube instead. What are you? A paid Google shill I bet! Good luck talking with Mr.Google's cock in your mouth!!!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Internet Old One posted:

Lol maybe I’m being too dramatic.

I mean they spent most of their waking free time watching shows that are basically considered unwatchable today.

lol, that's kinda what I figured but I wasn't sure.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

roomtone posted:

why would capitalism allow someone to insult capitalism

That's the funny thing about capitalism, it is actually quite receptive to absorbing criticism into itself and capitalizing on those critiques in various ways. rather insidious.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Aaaaaaads!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What was the name of that software that allowed you to download youtube videos again? I'd like to get something, even if it's a paid thing, but I need something that's not malware and I'm not confident in what I've seen through the search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tried out YT-DLP, works great so far. Downloading some old channels right now.