Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Also use a browser that isn't Chrome, I went back to Firefox when Google talked about disabling adblockers last March

:same:

Plus SmartTube Next if I feel like watching vids on my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still waiting for the hammer to drop but so far no warning message in Firefox or Safari, and my TV app that blocks ads and skips sponsors is still working as normal.

As for targeted ad chat, Instagram thinks I'm a goth and is always sending me ads for goth clothes/jewellery, and suggesting videos from a never ending stream of goth girls and miserable looking bands. Yet I really haven't ever searched for any of that stuff, don't follow any of them, haven't liked or bought anything so I don't get why it keeps suggesting it. My pics are just basic street photography, street art, or gig pics. Kinda baffling.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The main issue with ads is that they simply take too long, so we should re-introduce blipverts instead: concentrated video bursts that blast 10 minutes of ads to the brain in only 10 seconds.

Warning: may cause seizures and/or spontaneous human combustion in 8% of viewers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Seven Force posted:

That's so weird, I could've sworn they've done something like that already .

The whole reason I jumped ship to Firefox last year was I heard some general Chromium update due in February was setting the stage to do exactly that. If anything I’m surprised it still hasn’t happened yet.

Still not had a warning, and SmartTube continued to be fine on my TV, for now. On my laptop I did notice that Opera might be affected (got invalid error messages trying to use a regular YT > mp3 ripper while it still works fine on Firefox) but that’s about it so far.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
@Salt Fish What was so special about Opera 12 particularly?

Floodixor posted:

I will say that Cyberpunk 2077 gets the presentation of the future right in that when you're in the city, you're getting ads (fake ones, though) blasted at you from everywhere. A cacophony of noise. It's quite immersive and depressing.

For real, I’m playing it at the moment and it’s both awesome and utterly terrifying as far as glimpses of a possible future go. So many ads you wonder if there’s any room for actual content, trash bags piling up everywhere, toxic water (lmao, I splashed out on real water for some French dude as a flex), almost all animals bar roaches dead, the net is worthless…

..lovely.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
loving lol. Y'know, I had noticed that pause on loading videos but just put it down to maybe Firefox not being as well coded, or anti ad blocking fuckery, or maybe just my garbage internet connection. But I just installed an agent switcher as suggested and gently caress me, straight to playing near instantly.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Guessing some more fuckery is going on as SmartTube's been worse tonight than it has since any of this started.

*spams 'Check for Update' option*

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Some folks at YouTube played Cyberpunk, saw the TV station that's 95% ads and decided that was something to aspire to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
One thing all this has prompted me to do was think back to when I was growing up and on some occasions, ads were actually memorable and even interesting artistically, regardless of the annoying selling you poo poo aspect (and see also PSAs). I want to say that's not the case these days but the truth is, I've been blocking and avoiding the poo poo out of the loving things for so long now that I have very little clue what they're like these days. Have there been many actually cool/funny/well done ones in the last 10-15 years?