Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just Another Lurker posted:

I had to give up on Twitch for the time being, ads all the time atm.
There's a Firefox extension that works great for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

describing an everyday mundane task as an "experience" is a shibboleth that lets you know you're dealing with a lizard person

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Khanstant posted:

I can't get a straight answer anywhere can I or can I not get an STD from ads?
I guess if you see an ad for STDs click it and find out

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GolfHole posted:

this really assumes way too much. like ad algorithms are some sort of demigod all-knowing terror.

ads are exceptionally dumb. they are fired at you based on extremely loose associations of words, search terms, and app permissions. if you type something like "vacuum" into google you tick a box for household items, and so that's one of many ads you'll see.

theyre just spreadsheets like anything else. more often than not the information contained in those spreadsheets is impartial and/or inaccurate, filled with garbage searches you've made over the years, and diluted and skewed heavily by the few 'positive' hits you have made on certain items.

ads cannot know you better than you know yourself. they are automated but mostly dumb conditional-logic csv files with tons of bells and whistles. marketers like to pretend there is something far more complex at work but this is very untrue. it's no miracle that married people in their 30's might need a vacuum cleaner, or that men over 35 care about balding.
If you still have an account on the bad bird site, check out your list of "interests". This is the list of topics used to "personalize your experience across X, including the ads you see." Mine does have some stuff I'm interested in, but it has way, way more poo poo that I am absolutely not interested in, have never engaged with, or have literally never heard of. Some of them are hilariously vague ("animals", "food", "water", "weather") and overall it just gives me the impression that ~the algorithm~ is completely unable to filter signal from noise and advertisers should probably be mad about getting scammed into thinking Big Tech can deliver these hyper-personalised targeted impressions.

E: This also isn't a Musk thing, I remember looking at this years ago and it was equally stupid then.

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 20, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

busalover posted:

Apparently switching your user User Agent ID to 'Windows Phone' removes ads, because of a conflict with Terms of Service or something.
lmao please let this be real

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Also for all this talk of an adblocking race, the uBlock Origin extension for Firefox hasn’t been updated since September 23 and is still working just fine 🤷🏻 is it really just Chrome and derivatives getting hit with this warning?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goatface posted:

The extension probably hasn't been. The filter lists should have been updated in the last few hours~day.
oh ya that makes sense

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

nah it looks they're just rolling out seemingly at random with different types of ad block blocking. i was the same (firefox and ublock origin) and hadn't seen anything until yesterday. now i get a pop up saying something like "adblockers are not allowed" and two choices like, "don't block ads" and "subscribe to premium".

for now i can close the pop up and carry on blocking ads but i think some people were saying they were getting a "three chances then we ban your account" type pop up.

i still have complete faith that the adblockers will prevail though
I guess it would make sense to do a VAC-ban style thing where you don’t get the warning immediately, to try to prevent people figuring out what’s triggering it.

What happens if you ignore the three-strikes warning? Blocked from YouTube or do they nuke your whole Google account?

E: oh well that got answered quickly

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

zhar posted:

Power move for the Power user would be setting a hotkey for yt-dlp to run on the video/playlist url in the clipboard, I can't think of anything easier to use than copying and then ctrl-shift-y or whatever.
Download Media workflow for Alfred does exactly that. I think it looks at the URL in the active browser tab without even needing to clipboard it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Akratic Method posted:

And there is no way for the companies placing ads to only place them where it will not spread hatred for their products. So they either give up on online advertising (correct, but a tough sell to marketing departments) or accept that some portion of ads will just go in front of people that hate them.
This is what all the tracking and data harvesting and profiling is supposed to solve

Except it doesn’t because that’s all a scam as well, only the rubes are the advertisers

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The General posted:

I just want to laugh at everybody who told me that ad blockers are 100% install once and never think about it again :laugh:
An enormous, targeted campaign by one of the biggest technology companies on the planet is proving to be an occasional, minor inconvenience to a few people

That’s better “install once and never think about again” performance than most other software

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I hadn’t posted about it because I didn’t want to jinx it but I was in the “already had Firefox / uBlock origin, didn’t do anything special and never saw a warning” camp.

Was. 💀

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

marble racing is fun and all but it’s no league of pigs

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The only thing holding me back from using Orion full-time is the lack of full Keychain integration, which is something I assume Apple will never allow :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:chloe:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grimace posted:

I was randomly in a conversation with two other people earlier today, and we all universally concluded that Google search sucks now.
I will keep simping for Kagi because I’ve been really happy with it; plus, being able to promote or block results from different domains is incredibly useful.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

R.L. Stine posted:

newpipe owns but pretty much 99% of my youtube consumption is poo poo like 'thunderstorm and rain cottage ambience' and 'haunted crypt sounds 10 hours' because my tinnitus is severe and gives me full blown panny attacks when i'm reading at night. i should just rip the audio

Get on https://mynoise.net my dude

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

Not a single industrial fan? Not even like a normal fan?
https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/fanNoiseGenerator.php

There’s an “industrial fan” preset, among others

E: you might also enjoy ”Data Centre” :)

TACD fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goatface posted:

I know torrents still exist, but it really feels like a technology of the past. Like you're getting stuff off Kazaa or something.
”still exist”, what hip new pirating tech am I missing out on :confused: