Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Tarkus posted:

Is it because Youtube started off as free that people have such an aversion to paying for it?

It’s because the ads are intrusive. The audio isn’t normalized. They happen randomly. The amount of ads makes long videos unwatchable. And the big one, youtube/google already makes money soaking up personal information.

It’s also about a 99% sure thing that sometime in the future “premium” will still have ads ala Amazon prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Are there any interesting Mozilla based browsers out there besides Firefox that are worth using? I seem to remember those being around years ago. I used K-Meleon for awhile years ago and liked it. I'm shocked to see it's still around, although the updates seem infrequent.

I use librefox

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Well, YouTube won.

I wanted to watch youtube on my AppleTV without ads and google has made that pretty much impossible without their app which of course can't block ads. I decided to give in a pay for premium but then i saw that it had gotten more expensive and is now $18.99 which I'm not willing to pay.

So, I went through the extra effort to setup ytdl-sub with my jellyfin server to just download new videos from my subscriptions a few times a day and it works so much better than actually using youtube.

I suspect I'll stop using youtube soon when google somehow prevents video downloads through tools like yt-dl.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

BV posted:

I don't understand why you would bother using an ad blocker instead of invidious

I ran my own invidious instance for a while (only me using it) and it was a hassle to keep up with since every few days google would jank it and I’d have to update the back end.

Ytsdl-sub with Jellyfin (works with Plex etc. as well) is my favorite solution so far. Just works. Quality is excellent. SponsorBlock baked in. Of course no ads. Google isn’t tracking me. There’s no “discovery” but I don’t care. It’s nice having copies of videos to do with as I please. I can watch on a flight or something without dealing with google pita.