Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Comstar posted:

I have made a vow to never buy anything or use a service that advertises on Youtube.

I do block it on the PC, but my phone won't block it seems, so I have to wait 2x15 seconds to play a 3 minute video.

They will pay for wasting my time. They will all pay dearly.

Use Firefox as your phone browser and install uBlock there, or use an app like NewPipe that blocks youtube ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah but they already do sell our deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammers or the Trump 2026 campaign.

I'm sure it's all deniable and pseudo anonymised and any illegal processing is done offshore by the purchaser, and honestly that most of the advertising potential isn't nearly as valuable as the industry has convinced itself it is...

It's one of those things that allows for perfectly timed, perfectly targeted, perfectly adjusted advertising that exactly matches your needs at a given moment, and then floods out any possibility of that every happening with a firehose of raw sewage blasting you in the face continuously.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Look, it's not like YouTube has millions of people creating content to draw people to their servers at a cost of effectively nothing to them. It costs a lot to produce all those videos!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mudlark posted:

https://sponsor.ajay.app/ - doesn't get all of them but gets the supermajority of them in my experience.

Sponsor block relies on people adding the sonsor spot segments to their database. If you spot a sponsor, tske a moment to flag the start and end times with sponsor block so the next person just skips it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

I think they genuinely don't give a poo poo. Someone with an ad blocker is just a useless expense to them that they are probably even happy to avoid

The only exception is during the growth/pre-revenue phase or if their business model relies on user generated content/community engagement

About any particular user, they won't care, but if a lot of people go their site and bounce off because of adblocker harassment then those people aren't going to drive any other traffic to the site. Running people off so you might make a hundredth of a cent is a bad business decision.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fcc compliant bob posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Pure in-app engagement is not the working profit model at YT.

I was talking about web sites in general who throw "disable your adblocker" messages since they push people away rather than have them disable the block. The lost revenue from the adblocker is next to nothing, but driving people away from your website has a multiplicative effect; people who leave just don't think about you at all and would never direct anyone else there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hbag posted:

im not interested in any of these things

:objection: You should play more Ace Attorney!

emSparkly posted:

My dad actually had a physical rear end newsprint version of the Epoch Times in his house once. I don't know if he actually reads it or if some yahoo he works with foisted a copy onto him. Sadly my dad is a weird libertarian type who'd probably believe that poo poo :smith:

They send those out from time to time as a mass mailing to a huge area. I wouldn't wrap fisg in them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

No "adblock is theft!" message for me yet, either. I have a pretty active, albiet small, youtube channel and wonder if that has something to do with it. Or maybe the whole thing is falling apart and was a bad idea to begin with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Yeah for real, letting these companies monopolize what are basically the essential basics of the modern web is a bad move
A simple executive tax could easily cover a public YouTube for the world to use.

A government run youtube does run into first amendment issues. Youtube can (theoretically) ban Nazis and other heinous poo poo, the government cannot. So as bad as youtube is now, government youtube would likely be even worse for garbge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Grimace posted:

AI imaging is the worst thing to happen to the internet

As annoying as it can be when people try to use AI pics for anything beyond shitposting, the current use of AI text is a thousand times worse. AI poo poo images are mainly replacing stock photos and getting dumped on when people try to use it elsewhere; AI text is infecting and poisoning everything, flooding the already toxic swamp of SEO and turning the world into meaningless glop. It's the gray goo scenario except it's devouring information instead of buildings.