Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In my 40 years on this earth, and a relatively early adopter of the internet in 1995 or so at the age of 12, I have never... in my entire life... purposely clicked on any sort of internet ad.

It's impossible to say that ads don't affect me because you hear TV and all sorts of commercials on media in the background or maybe some new product from Wendy's is out that I might check out in a month when I think about it but I never purposely click on an ad.

IF I by chance accidentally see an ad for something I might be interested in, I search for it. I will not click on the ad.

On FB and Twitter and all of that poo poo my eyes seem to subconsciously and automatically scan for the words that make me scroll past any sort of ad (Ad, promotion, sponsored, etc). It's just loving white noise that is extremely annoying and has no appreciable affect on me for their means.

gently caress google (yes, I probably use 10 google products daily including this browser which I might have to end up ditching after 13 years). Whenever some corporation squeezes down on people for dumb poo poo, innovators seem to come out and fight back to circumvent their garbage. Hopefully it continues.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

Google already has your data it's totally fine. Same as we should just accept aggressive microtransactions and loot boxes in games. It's fine if the Kinect records your and stores the video silently. Sell your medical information. Have personalised ads surround you 24/7. It's all happening already why bother fighting it.

Weird defeatist attitudes considering how hard I've seen posts by the same people go while getting mad about less important poo poo.

Also it's not like a person doesn't generate tons more data every single day. Sure they could have all of your personal identifying info, but every time you click on anything at all they "learn" more about you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bonzo posted:

They'll get people to pay for premium and I bet will soon charge more for an Ad-free tier or start showing ads when you pause. Kinda like Hulu and Prime are about to do.

100%. It's just a matter of time until you have to upgrade to their new ad-free service for an extra $5 a month or some bullshit.

It seems like every loving tech thing these days is just an ad delivery service that you have to pay for. If you watch cable (I have my reasons) there are pop up ads during whatever show on every single program on TV. Most of the time it's an ad for a different program on that network but it's loving annoying when there is a movie on with subtitles hardcoded into it and the ad pops up and covers the dialog.

How are people so loving stupid that all of this advertising is clearly where the money is because dumbasses fall for it and click whatever shiny thing pops up in front of them?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It didn't bother me for a few days on Chrome but it just started again with the 3 views message and only maybe an hour or so after I updated uBlock. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kdrudy posted:

Counterpoint, UIs can be annoying to write depending on the language you are using so deal with it.

The end user doesn't know, much less give a poo poo about any of that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yes, I'm sure you are much smarter and innovative and can straight up tell the end user what they should have as opposed to what they want because they are a regular user and too stupid to "get it."

edit: to be fair, people are very dumb, and simple and easy to use UIs are very very important

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 30, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think we are talking about different things.

I was on the enterprise level and not the git hub level. I meant more in a general sense to your average dumb American who does not even know what an ad blocker is much less an extension to your browser.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

emSparkly posted:

Adblock plus sold out a long rear end time ago and started allowing "non-intrusive" ads. gently caress em.

Yeah I used them for like a decade but years ago I was told (probably here) that they whitelisted a ton of ads so I dumped them immediately. I switched to uBlock and haven't gone back.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ded posted:

firefox + ublock + dont be logged in = i've still never seen these ads or ad gripes

Yep. This is what I've been doing. I copy all links and open them in FF with ublock and not being signed in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

roomtone posted:

if i hadn't been using adblockers for the past 15 years i don't know if i would watch anywhere near as much youtube as i have

cos those 30-60 seconds of ads i've occasionally been seeing lately is more than enough for me to stop and think wait, maybe there's something better to do than watch this video

Yep. I literally did not know youtube had ads until like 5 years ago because I've been using an adblocker forever. I never used youtube on my phone and found out that way.

I don't watch youtube videos on my phone because of the ads.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, I'll switch to firefox then.

You won google.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow. That was super easy to import just about everything from Chrome to Firefox. Took like 5 seconds.

To be honest, the only reason I switched from Firefox to Chrome was in 2010 when I got a job at Google and that's what they had so I just got used to it and switched at home. Back then I think FF still had memory leak issues and it was a hog on resources in general.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thanks Ants posted:

I have misplaced hope that this overreach by Google sees the popularity of Chrome plummet

:pray:

I like to see people suffer consequences from their actions.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

goatface posted:

Unfortunately, we do not appear to live in a world where that happens to the worst offenders.

Yeah. I know. :smith:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

atomicpile posted:

I decided to give in a pay for premium but then i saw that it had gotten more expensive and is now $18.99 which I'm not willing to pay.

Jesus, I didn't know it was that expensive.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Khanstant posted:

And that's their "won't you please consider this" type price before they ramp it up.

:psyduck:

For youtube? wtf

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Klyith posted:

keepass is free and good if you are enough of a nerd.

I've been using this for years. Good stuff.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

busalover posted:

keep-rear end

It's Keep-rear end 2 now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chrs posted:

I’m still conditioned to assume that clicking any ad online will give my computer malware

100%

If I ever see something in an ad that I might be interested in (very close to zero, sincerely), I will never, ever click that ad. Ever. No reason to.

I'll google it and find the original source.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Firefox and uBlock still keep me ad and pause free.

Which actually sucks at work because I get ad after ad for women's deodorant when I've got random videos on in the background. STOP TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR VAG ODOR YOU FREAKS

You should see the commercials on cable. Jesus christ. There was that Lume stuff that came out and had 50 commercials a day and now other major companies are starting to jump on board and you see fat women spraying their groin with a :smug: or teehee look.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

doctorfrog posted:

I know, it's great

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhazonLink posted:

^that

also libaries might also have their own streaming service, granted its way smaller than any other paid service, but you get "free" access for just being a library card holder.

also rip dvds/blue rays and make your own local archive.

My county's library system is hooked up with Libby so I can borrow stuff on my phone/computer. I think Hoopla is another one. I haven't used either in a long time though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Khanstant posted:

? You got to a website and click the picture of the show you want to watch. It's like Netflix but you don't have to login or pick a profile.

Yeah it hasn't changed for me in over 20 years. 100% honest.

Download a peer to peer client.

Go to pirate site and click on what you want.

It downloads.

It's far simpler than subscribing to any sort of streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

doctorfrog posted:

Downloading web videos at all is already this

Yeah, I have no desire to actually download a youtube video to watch it. If I can't stream it without their lovely ads, then I just won't watch it.

Speaking of enshittification... loving hard drive space. A single modern computer game can take well over 10% of my 1TB SSD's space now (if I had no OS or anything else on it whatsoever) so storage is a luxury again. On my laptop at least.

edit: whoops, I thought this was the things getting shittier thread. Huge overlap.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 27, 2024