Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Honestly, my response to this has been to 99% quit youtube, and watch a couple small channels (who were never going to monetize anything anyway) on anonymous mode.

Youtube has basically made its money poisoning the brains of society anyway, constantly recommending rightwing conspiracy bullshit because the videos are long and obsessive maniacs will watch the whole thing and share, thereby maximizing engagement metrics. If Youtube is desperate, then good. I hope they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is there a reliably-updated filter i can subscribe to for blocking poo poo on Facebook? I had an amazing few months lately where it was actually showing me friends' posts and updates from groups I am part of and interested in, but it's back to nothing but ads and suggested posts for stuff I don't care about again.

I use the Social Fixer plugin, which has a pretty wide array of filter options for Facebook specifically.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, I’ve reconciled myself to using yt-dlp to grab as many songs as I can, and then watching basically no YouTube except an occasional video of interest in an anonymous window.

Like any social media site, when it annoys you into leaving, it did you a favor.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Khanstant posted:

Lol is that real?

I have never seen a full podcast, but once between baby distraction videos a 7-minute Bollywood music video played as an ad for a new movie. That obviously my friend’s infant will fly to India to view. That was a solid 2:1 ad:video ratio.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Khanstant posted:

Also seems like the adblocking crowd would make for a bad audience anyway, these are the people who hate ads enough to do something about it and finally sneaking some past them doesn't seem like it would do you any good.

The key is the people placing the ads, who care if they work, are not google. Google gets paid for showing them. And there is no way for the companies placing ads to only place them where it will not spread hatred for their products. So they either give up on online advertising (correct, but a tough sell to marketing departments) or accept that some portion of ads will just go in front of people that hate them.

Given that report that a huge portion of ad clicks were fake, and how it didn’t really dent online ad spending, I think they’ll just choose to antagonize people.

Plus, as noted, caring at all puts you in a tiny minority.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

TrashMammal posted:

morale is dire over there right now. can’t imagine anyone assigned to this nonsense has their heart in it. plus with the way google works internally anyone with the talent to keep this garbage going will inevitably be promoted to the next big shiny project. it’s a death sentence to your career otherwise

Well, I'm glad they gave me the motivation to get youtube-dl setup properly before giving up.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, that one. I immediately set up aliases for downloading and formatting things the way I want, and then promptly forgot what the real command was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is there a workaround to the lastest imgur adblock fuckery yet?

I just uploaded something there and didn’t notice any problems. What are you seeing?