Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

deano posted:

Yeah, I added ublock when this started and its been spot on for dealing with this poo poo. Had to block a few by element untill I got stuck with the stop vid after one second and no scroll available couldn't work out to block without breaking the feed, forced ublock to purge and update and its sorted it.

How do you get this working on your phone, sometimes nice to put a liveset or two on at work to make the day go faster.

Do you use an iPhone or an Android?

I stopped using iPhones about five years ago. Back then there was no useful browser-based adblock that worked on YouTube, thanks to the closed nature of the Apple ecosystem. I had Firefox mobile, but I couldn't get useful plugins. Not sure if that's changed in the intervening years.

For my Android devices, I use mobile Firefox, uBlock Origin, and Ghostery. Same as with my desktop Firefox. I've never gotten a YouTube ad on mobile or desktop, so it's been working pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I still haven't received any kind of message relating to adblockers, using Firefox, uBlock, and Ghostery.

I also pay for cell service through Google Fi and cloud storage through my Google account, and I stay logged in for YouTube.

I wonder if there's some kind of flag on accounts that already pay for Google services, because they're already getting my money in other ways.

Or maybe I'm just lucky with the uBlock filters, idk.

Saalkin posted:

Ads on YouTube are also really loving strange sometimes.

Me and my roommate were watching something on YouTube on the tv awhile back and got an ad that was a tutorial and demonstration of how to excrete a dogs anal glands. We were dumbfounded the whole time and watched the whole drat thing.

lol if that's the ad that YouTube convinced you to watch all the way through, I can only imagine what the algorithm will start serving up

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, idk how effective uBlock Origin is on Chrome, but thanks to uBlock I have legit never had a YouTube advertisement on Firefox, ever. For that matter, I can't remember the last time I got an ad anywhere else.