Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Newpipe on phones and Firefox w/ ublock installed, baybee

vlc can also play YT streams with a plugin (or maybe it was mediaplayer classic?), this was the method I watched some vids on a dying Thinkpad with XP some years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I think I could at least entertain a thought about buying YouTube premium for the gently caress of it, but poo poo like this:

R.L. Stine posted:

professional crime documentary people (not some kid with Youtube Voice)got demonetized for talking about crime and had to edit every time they said 'blood' to say 'red' instead lol

reminds me that YT gets progressively worse. The weird censorship, where people need to use some tumblrish newspeak like "unalived" instead of "died" because they might get hit with an automatic complaint and demonetised is what kills the current YT. And I don't know what is this supposed to affect, hate speech and bigots still get their content in to the recommendations, right wing media treats YT like an all-out battlefield and trolls attack people without any kind of push against. It's just toothless, lame excuses to make advertisers happy. And if only the payouts for creators were actually worth this, but no, most of the youtubers are lucky if they see low double-digits for their work.

Also, removing features like community captions or annotations is unforgivable, esp. the subs. I did some localized captions for various videos to make them more approachable to people, and while the tool to prepare those wasn't the best, it was something at least. There are absolutely creators and channels who should be treated better, but otoh I don't have enough patience to jump over new idiotic obstacles to watch some stupid poo poo before sleep, I have four bookshelves of unread books and god knows how much movies to watch instead