Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

not enough (read as: any) black sissies on the internet I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

You pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate + some markup and the company doesn't molest you with pointless ads or sells your deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammer or the Trump 2026 campaign. It's an ok deal

no, they want you to pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate and some markup and the company wants molest you with pointless ads and selling mined information to tech support scammers and other bad actors. It's an awful deal and only looking to get worse as time goes by. God forbid I don't want that loving oval office from Hobby Lobby being able to spam those loving "He Gets Us" ads on every goddamn platform

I guess getting irritated by that gets you marked as a whiner now though

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

maybe if they weren't accepting ads from groups that would earn you a perma here on SA I wouldn't use a blocker, loving Epoch Times

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

mindbendingly hosed thinking pairs well with the taste of boot polish after all

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

McDonald's advertiser execs should follow Lowtax's example!!!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

for gently caress's sake I am getting really loving sick of these ads funded by the Epoch Times getting shoved in my face every loving ten minutes

they're not selling any products, they're just slinging horseshit. if I wanted to listen to someone slander queer people for several minutes on end I'd call my mom or something, jeez

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Internet Old One posted:

I remember when I used to hear about 1800s grifts and thought that better public education and childhood nutrition had put an end to that kind of thing.

why do you think grifters attack public education and better childhood nutrition any opportunity they get

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Edmund Sparkler posted:

That reminds me of that MST3K episode (Trucker's Woman) where there's a random split second shot of pizza in the movie. Supposedly, it was done by a theater owner who would splice in single frames of food to try to drive concessions sales.

hey isn't that like Fight Club and the alleged frames of :dong: that were added in

guess that's only related if it was a sausage pizza huh

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Gromit posted:

They wanted something to download youtube videos and that works well doing it. No idea why you responded like that, but you do you I guess.

it's GBS, they treat earnestness like it's herpes or craft glitter here or something

alternatively

shirunei posted:

half of the goons still posting here have a boomer's familiarity with tech tho

though half is being incredibly generous I think

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

I think realizing command line is poo poo and picking an option that is less poo poo makes me more intelligent than somebody who smugly defends their bad decision as somehow the smart thing to do. I also don't like Linux.

some people do download videos because their internet is unreliable and YT flips the gently caress out when your connection cuts out, maybe think about that while gargling on satya/cook's balls next time

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

goatface posted:

Oh no friend, you bought the hardware and a software license. Their ads being plastered all over it is a condition of accepting their software license, and the hardware is not meant for use with anything but the licensed software, so replacing it would void all warranties and could cause it to malfunction in a way that would cause permanent system damage. They're only removing the option from you to prevent that happening.

Enjoy.

Sounds like a bundle of fun! Some intrepid internet explorer might find that some micro software giant has tried stuff like that before and gotten slapped down before, though I suppose the legal environment is probably a lot more amenable to poo poo like this now...

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The General posted:

I'm not a bootlicker :colbert: I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or that you're stealing money from starving CEOs.

I just can't be assed to wrestle with extensions and hop browsers every other week.

good to know that you can be coerced by the slighted inconvenience, then

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

which season of that has someone jumping out a window after losing everything on a cryptocurrency scam

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

EorayMel posted:

[Anime villain voice] Only two things are guaranteed in life: Death and ads.

dang, you got out of your tax obligations then? not the worst trade-off I've heard tbh

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Uh, did Google Identity ever fix their poo poo and get things working with Manifest V3, or are we going to have a bunch of impersonation issues whenever Google's management forces this loving thing to rollout next year? Last I heard it was still only really functioning with MV2.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

Third, can't wait til Google makes YouTube videos "accidentally" break in Firefox and the people waiting patiently to go after google for everything they can are able to have fun.

I mean, Google had hosed up something that caused some Pixel phones to crash the OS when you used Firefox too long that just so happened to get silently fixed during that big antitrust case that's going on, so...

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

removing features is a feature

(no poo poo, that's a line I had to say at work more than once when scoping out tasks :v:)

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GolfHole posted:

I'm 99% sure Google is purposefully degrading my Chromecast 3's so that they frustrate me into buying whatever new, ad-supported version they make is.

It's actually kind of amazing that Google has turned into the shittiest company. Sunrise sunset.

what I don't understand is how making their new products into disposable pieces of crap won't convince customers to go to a competitor. just as the leopard isn't going to change its spots (or shorts), Google isn't going to stop loving you over because you bought a new device from them

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

Sounds like a cool forums feature. Before you can quote a post, chatgpt would give you a short quiz to check if you actually read it. I hope you are seeing this JEFFREY. The incidents of people replying to posts without reading them are through the roof

"I'm sorry, the main topic of the post you're trying to reply to was Pnurtis, not forums features. Please try again later."

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

One thing all this has prompted me to do was think back to when I was growing up and on some occasions, ads were actually memorable and even interesting artistically, regardless of the annoying selling you poo poo aspect (and see also PSAs). I want to say that's not the case these days but the truth is, I've been blocking and avoiding the poo poo out of the loving things for so long now that I have very little clue what they're like these days. Have there been many actually cool/funny/well done ones in the last 10-15 years?

very, very few. trying to create a captive audience for advertising has been the main focus for at least a decade now, at the obvious cost of their quality

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

that sounds like that English instructor being lazy as gently caress; even if it was for a marketing class, you can take classic examples (or hell, make up your own one) for students to use. making them fish in current day stuff is just stupid (and makes it easier to plagiarize without getting caught)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah Microsoft has gone really loving whole-hog on AI - they ate OpenAI after that board fiasco last year

Nadella isn't any better than Ballmer ever was, they just had different obsessions in the end