Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Debate and/or Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Extra Large Marge posted:

Please disable your adblocker so Tom Brady can tell you to rent cars from Hertz

I used Ublocker's "disable all popups" function instead :cheers:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Aishlinn posted:

i blocked the popup. plus side: no popup. Minus: Every video pauses about a second into it, and i have to hit start again. thats all.

I tried this originally but then about 10% of the time when the page tried to load the blocked popup I couldn't scroll up or down at all like a nasty 2000's fake anti virus program.

:thumbsup:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Blocking popups AND large media elements via Ublocker seems to have done the trick

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Professor Wayne posted:

I just started getting pop ups on chrome that I can't close until a timer runs down.

This is confirmed now btw

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh cool the shame message has a timer so you can't just click it shut.

I uBlocked it and I cannot scroll down anymore on youtube videos

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You can also uBlock suggested videos so you don't constantly get barraged with 1-hour long Super Mario 64 lore and/or Fox News anti-Chicago/San Francisco Crime By Scary Foreigners videos because uBlock is good and cool

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

emSparkly posted:

Product placement is the type of advert that always seems to have affected me the most. I scoff at commercials with dumb jingles and slogans, but when I see someone buy a Pepsi in a movie I sometimes catch myself going "Man I could go for a Pepsi now that I think about it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVP2XxV3QU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The automatic pausing and scroll-stopping even after uBlocking the anti ad blocker ad seems to have vanished.

For now...

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

uBlock origin owns because when there are ads that slip through the main adblocker(and there are more and more nowadays because why wouldn't there be) you can manually pick the elements to block and they are loving obliterated :science:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

What if I don't buy stuff from ads :grin:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The Grimace posted:

gdi GetCheapJorts.com isn't a real site

Somewhere out there Kevin Smith is laughing at my misfortune in bottomwear pricing

Now you know the true might of advertising, sucka :ocelot: :grin:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

busalover posted:

Watching Youtube with ads these past few days was really surreal, there's so much qanon-type level bullshit getting peddled, it was eye-opening. How is this even legal? I feel like back in the 1800s listening to some quack selling me snake oil from the back of his carriage.

Depending on who you ask, Capitalism/AIs By Elon Musk/All Social Media Is Deliberately Plagued By Right Wing Propaganda To Embolden The Fascists That Will Kill You

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

They should make more ads in the style of the terry crews old spice commercials and the black/white failing-miserably-at-menial-tasks infomercial one I would watch those instead of worthless poo poo about remortgaging homes or medicine for people that have three forms of lung cancer

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

[Anime villain voice] Only two things are guaranteed in life: Death and ads.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Anyway I have been using adblocker and more importantly uBlocker on firefox and the closest youtube has gotten to threatening me is all the videos automatically pause at the beginning. No scroll-stopped pages. No warnings telling me I can only watch 3 more videos before I can click out and then watch 3 more videos and get barred from accessing youtube ever again. I don't even have to manually purge caches and reset filters.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

Forgot to re-enable my ad blocker yesterday and got a quick glimpse of the current state of online advertising

(Photovoltaic: This is the most expensive mistake people make)

I don't have a house or any idea who could possibly benefit from me seeing this crap between news articles.

Don't doxx the avatar of my next Baldur's Gate 3 run

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Lpzie posted:

Saw some nice ads today. Haven't seen them before. Was pretty entertaining. One of them repeated later but I successfully tuned it out and got some meditation time in. Anybody else doing this?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Scrolling is now impossible on youtube videos for me, but tbh I don't think that's bad considering how poo poo the recommended videos are

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I discovered that if you use Ublocker on firefox at least to deal with the penicillian-resistant ads and you go fullscreen, you can scroll down off the video to look at the comments and related videos, unfreezing your scrolling. Either in fullscreen, or you go into fullscreen for a second then back out. Frees up scrolling.

Granted, the better thing is probably not reading any comments or seeing any fox news "ONE THOUSAND MURDERS CONFIRMED IN CHICAGO BY GANGS AND THE MAYOR SAYS NOTHING" related videos off to the side, but it's something :v:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Firefox and uBlock still work just FYI.

I've been using that and even when the video pauses 1 second after it starts and locks the window, going to fullscreen and out of fullscreen fixes it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Update: it seems I'm not getting any one-second-in pauses on videos. I don't have to keep entering and exiting fullscreen to get the scrolling back. Maybe they gave up...or uBlock got ahead of the arms race for a few hours and then it'll go back to the pausing and scroll stopping later and then we're back at it again.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The General posted:

The other day I did a search for some pics on google and 7/12 of the top results were all AI generated garbage pictures. On a lark I wanted to see if Edge and Bing could do any better, thankfully Edge immediately told me not to waste my time.

Lol.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

drat. I searched and tried a few youtube addons, that kind of ad seems uncatchable

uBlock element picker might help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

Is this the same as right click --> blocking elements function?

the rule i got is

! 2024-03-16 https://www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com#%23.sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope

seems to work for now

I just click the app icon in the top right, pick the dropper, then click on the ad to blast it off my loving screen.

The one to the right of the lightning bolt. Works well for obliterating what slips through the filters.