Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I rather dont use youtube or any other videoplatform than getting ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

hot date tonight! posted:

Adblock devs are winning the race at the moment and unless YouTube does something drastic that's probably not going to change.

Even if uBlock is defeated, the next layer is ready AdNauseam

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Really dumb question: How do i update uBlock? Is it enough when i select the Auto update or is there a way to trigger a update manually?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i pay for youtube premium, op
Yeah and Star Citizen will launch in 2024

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

zhar posted:

if you want to update the youtube block open ublock dashboard -> filter lists -> click little clock icon next to builtin ublock - quick fixes and click update now. Youtube has been updating anti-adblock script fairly randomly up to several times a day whereas ublock auto-update happens at regular intervals which is why it may not be adequate (if you click the eye next to a list you can see when it expires in the header, quick fixes seems to be 12 hours). If you don't get the youtube message you obviously dont need to do anything.

if you want to force update all lists on same screen purge all caches and update.

Thx dude, didnt know where all the filter stuff was. After enabling autoupdate all the lists were like 3h old, so ok i guess. Pretty aggressive from YT, lets see how this is going to play out. IMO people should spend less time online and do more stuff outside, so not the worst development

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

peachy... posted:

Firefox + ublock + noscript. I will never see a website again

+PrivacyBadger for good measure

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Apparently YouTube adds a 5 second delay to the loading time if you're running Firefox. Because that's a perfectly normal, none evil thing to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/17ywbjj/comment/k9w3ei4/

I thought my internet router was to blame, gently caress you google

e: Thanks Reddit, filter rule works for me

www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 20, 2023

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Zero VGS posted:

They changed something last night to make the message appear when I'm running uBlock and AdNauesum at the same time. Turning off AdNauseum and leaving uBlock enabled fixes it, and turning AdNauseum back on breaks it.

I dont think you are supposed to run those together iirc

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Khanstant posted:

My roommates have been watching TV in living lately and everytime I catch a glimpse it's on ads. Last night saw one that was an ad, but around it was a graphical wrapper of another ad, with a another section that was delivering trivia as an advertisement for a third thing.

Thats nightmare fuel mate.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Klyith posted:

Here's the list:
1. get Firefox
2. install ublock origin
3. if youtube gives you poo poo about adblock, do this:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Should be on every page

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Just Another Lurker posted:

Finally got an advert!! :peanut:

It was a Disney banner ad on my Home Screen, advertising festive movies... like Die Hard.

That makes Die Hard an OFFICIAL XMAS MOVIE.... it always was to me. :c00lbert:

edit: Running Firefox + uBlock Origin.

Interesting, running the same+noscript+privacybadger+sponsorblock, my stuff just breaks and plays nothing or gets the youtube subscribe message once every week.

But i have never seen an ad, like for forever

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I had for the first time a chair ad appear in the video list on the right side.

Is this new?

I am running FF with UBO Noscript Sponsorblock and some cookieblocker.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

To be more precise:

I had to try like 10 videos, it appeared again (clicked a few random videos from the list):

I dont even know how something linux related is in my list

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thanks Ants posted:

I am getting that as well and uBO isn't catching them. I'll take them over video ads though.

drat. I searched and tried a few youtube addons, that kind of ad seems uncatchable

I rather dont watch a video beforehaving to sit even through 10s of an ad. My ad pool is quite terrible because of lack of info, google doesnt get anything from me.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

EorayMel posted:

uBlock element picker might help

Is this the same as right click --> blocking elements function?

the rule i got is

! 2024-03-16 https://www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com#%23.sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope

seems to work for now

Thanks mate, good food for thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Klyith posted:

Ublock Origin and every other ad block runs on filters that have to get updated by people when companies like Google change poo poo. It takes a few days sometimes, particularly when Google starts slow by only showing the new ad to 10% of viewers or whatever.

You can add a custom rule like you did, or just wait.

Waiting is my general recommendation because a filter you make today sometimes causes problems 3 years later when they use "sparkles-light-cta.ytd-in-feed-ad-layout-renderer.style-scope" for something that's not an ad and it breaks the layout. And you've long since forgotten.

Yeah, that would be the smart play.