Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just installed opera, turned on the default ad blocker went to youtube without signing in and no ad's or messages, or pauses before a video starts. Playlists works as well.

Have firefox open and can check if any of the channels I'm subscribe to add anything new. Copy and paste title into opera. Bit of extra effort, but only a couple of seconds to C+P and alt tab. :shrug:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Also, stupid question but is there a way to make a YouTube channel vile enough that no advertiser wants ads on it, but not so vile that it violates TOS?

edit: Maybe if your whole channel was devoted to talking poo poo about the last ad that ran on it?

There's probably just a whole bunch of advertises that simply don't care, as long as they're getting some sort of eyeballs. Think about all that scammy poo poo that's still advertising on twitter, click bait bullshit type stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BasicLich posted:

yeah allowing people to insert 2 hour podcasts as autoplay ads was a real mistake

Look as the saying goes in advertising, if someone doesn't seem to be into what your selling just annoy them for two hours straight until their brain melts and they give in.

If someone still has the will to live after you've advertised to them, you haven't done your job right.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pencilhands posted:

i just gave up and got youtube premium

When Osiris weighs your soul against a feather to see if you shall go on to the eternal paradise of the Field of Reeds, this decision shall indeed make your soul heavy as gently caress. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

getting some real mixed messages

I still remember reading ages ago about how at one period it was either Sony had one division putting out dvd movies trying to put in anti copying stuff on them, and another division making dvd writers that would try and ignore the anti copying stuff as much as they could, or it was CD music/ Cd writers. But yeah multinationals being consistent, lol.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I mean, look at this chart.

Wow, I had no idea Firefox's market share had crashed so hard. I mean I honestly don't notice to much of a difference between browsers, but I do find myself using Firefox more than any other. Possibly I'm just used to how it lays out it's settings.

Also don't really want google having another avenue of tracking me. You already know everything I search for online, isn't that enough!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Microplastics posted:

Youtube has really been screwing up their platform lately.

This seems to be google in general. They really do seem to be just resting on top assuming that no one's ever going to compete with them again. As there are other good video streaming sites that people don't use, seem with youtube, at least for the foreseeable future, they're probably unfortunately right about that.

Search I'm not so sure about. I think a competitor could pretty easily take the top spot from them for that, if they can make a search as good as googles used to be. It's pretty trivial to change what search engine your using, and people have been pretty unhappy with google search for a while now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Elukka posted:

It's hilariously bad. You have to watch on mobile devices or "selected smart TVs" to get HD content. Otherwise it's 480p.

Is there any way to trick a website into thinking you're connecting to it as a mobile phone? I feel like this should be something that's pretty trivial to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

he higher-protection encryption on like Netflix and HBO 4k streams is difficult, but not impossible.

Is it difficult? Wouldn't any decent screen capture software easily do it? If the video is showing on your screen and the audio is coming out of your speakers, seems it shouldn't exactly be hard.