Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

How widespread is this?

I only have one ad blocker and it's a popular one, and I haven't gotten an interruption in ads being blocked on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I opened up YouTube in an incognito tab and it was incredibly depressing to see the garbage that normies enjoy. Nothing but Mr Beast and Dhar Mann as far as the eyes can see.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

The main issue with ads is that they simply take too long, so we should re-introduce blipverts instead: concentrated video bursts that blast 10 minutes of ads to the brain in only 10 seconds.

Warning: may cause seizures and/or spontaneous human combustion in 8% of viewers.

That reminds me of that MST3K episode (Trucker's Woman) where there's a random split second shot of pizza in the movie. Supposedly, it was done by a theater owner who would splice in single frames of food to try to drive concessions sales.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I understand how to use the command line and understand it. I just think it's a pain in the rear end.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

now im confused, I only watch youtube on my pc

Youtube makes you pay to be able to listen to or watch videos while it's in the background or the screen is locked, lol.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Are there any interesting Mozilla based browsers out there besides Firefox that are worth using? I seem to remember those being around years ago. I used K-Meleon for awhile years ago and liked it. I'm shocked to see it's still around, although the updates seem infrequent.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why do you need an "interesting" browser? Shouldn't "boring but works well" be the requirement?

I just meant if there's anything that's like Firefox but with more advantages.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

atomicpile posted:

I use librefox

Thanks! I'm giving it a try.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

pencilhands posted:

the picture in picture feature on youtube premium is so loving good i should have gotten this years ago

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

YT has some volume control in that very loud videos get their poo poo dampened (probably with a simple dynamic limiter) so they don't clip anymore, but there is nothing to help quiet videos.

If you right click a vid and go to stats for nerds, there is a value for (content loudness)
The 'consensus' if to have it somewhere around -6 to -3dB; sometimes you see -10 or less which is when you have to raise main Windows volume to hear anything.
If that value is positive, it's way too loud.

e; this is for a desktop Chrome browser, no idea about mobile apps etc

Yeah, it kind of sucks that I'll watch older content by creators who have since greatly improved their production values and I just have to click out of it because I know that I'll raise the volume and then forget that I raised the volume and when I watch the next thing, I'll get blasted in the ears by my 7.2 setup and freak out that I've damaged something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Also, :wtc: is up with Youtube ads? I was accidentally logged out and tried to watch a video and got a super loud ad about how the 2nd Civil War is going to make the I/P conflict look like child's play. :bravo:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

The very early days of Hulu would do something like this: "This episode of _____ was brought to you, commercial free, by _____. Enjoy the show." Sometimes a whole movie would be ad-free except for that 7 second spot. Didn't expect that to last, of course, but it was nice.

Of course, early TV and radio would have the entire show sponsored by one company. And shows like Jack Benny would poke fun at the actual sponsor, or the idea of the ad spot itself. I was watching a couple old Red Skelton shows and there'd be a straight 7 minute segment full of (corny) jokes that would lead, inappropriately, to mention of the sponsor. Example: a frustrated couple on a desert island, arguing over whether the dirty state of their laundry was why they couldn't flag down a rescue ship. Five minutes another ship shows up and the man whips out a box of Tide to clean the clothing with. The audience is laughing in part because they are in on the joke: the joke is that ads are lame as hell, and this is as lame an ad as we could come up with. We hate 'em, you hate 'em, let's have some fun. The product becomes cool by proxy.

This isn't identical to what you're suggesting, but it's very similar: we, the corporation, are directly financing or bringing you this abject wackiness. Big difference from "we paid money to interrupt this thing you want to see with something that we want you to see. It has nothing to do with what you've been watching, and you have no choice but to watch it if you want to continue seeing the thing you're actually here for."

One is akin to patronage, the other is the marketplace of content and ads. (They both suck, but one is much worse.)

Product integration can work on certain types of shows, like comedy and variety stuff. I don't want to see it if I'm watching a serious drama or something, unless it's really brief and not awkwardly shoehorned in.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Mebh posted:

Weren't all the old Daily show side skits about stuff like "Arby's, why not challenge your stomach to a fight?" A paid product placement? I wouldn't mind more stuff like that. Behind the bastards' podcast product segments are also pretty amusing.

Ironically, I listen to BtB on YouTube with ad block on, so I've never heard their ads.

Some More News' AG1 segments are pretty funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Denim Dude posted:

by the way if you have an android based tv instead of a web os based tv you can sideload the "downloader" app and install smart tube.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube

if you have a roku based device you can try this, https://github.com/iBicha/playlet but i personally have not.

edit: i was reading the github page for the playlet app and this is from the developer:

There's a cliché about how a lot of open source software is "Made with ♡". This project in particular is not.
Playlet was created out of spite, because I believe I have watched enough back-to-back, unskippable YouTube ads for a lifetime.

i thought that was funny.

That Roku app is nice. Thank you. :)