Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

temple posted:

If you would have told 90s me that I'd have the world's music at my fingertips, in exchange for seeing ads, I would have clicked my heels with joy.

Yup, kids are pretty loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is what I was listening to at age 14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUNKK5tVupk

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The only thing I make a profit on is my emerald selling division. My mining equipment purchasing arm is WAY in the red!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khanstant posted:

Honestly if you own a TV these days I assume you're some kind of couch potato

Or a melee player.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its pretty loving funny that they can detect the ad-blocker and then popup a notice with text and images and poo poo, but they can't just put an advertisement in that same space because ad blockers are too good.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tarkus posted:

What was the name of that software that allowed you to download youtube videos again? I'd like to get something, even if it's a paid thing, but I need something that's not malware and I'm not confident in what I've seen through the search.

That's why you run it on a dedicated linux VM sandbox and then mount the downloads folder on a passthrough block device to your multimedia PC.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm just kidding.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Opera 12 was the greatest browser to ever exist. Then they fired all the developers, threw their rendering engine in the trash and forked chromium, and its been poo poo ever since.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sentinel Red posted:

@Salt Fish What was so special about Opera 12 particularly?

For real, I’m playing it at the moment and it’s both awesome and utterly terrifying as far as glimpses of a possible future go. So many ads you wonder if there’s any room for actual content, trash bags piling up everywhere, toxic water (lmao, I splashed out on real water for some French dude as a flex), almost all animals bar roaches dead, the net is worthless…

..lovely.

It was the last release with presto just prior to all their developers quitting and the company being sold to a Chinese company. They did an IPO in like 2004 and putting their best product into the meat grinder was an important part of that process leading up to selling.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zero VGS posted:

I mean like an option to check on your own end, every 15 minutes or so. Counting from the second you enable it, so everyone isn't doing a request at the same moment in time.

Ublock origin autoupdates filter lists every hour by default, but you might have to relaunch your browser and then wait for a cooldown timer:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Advanced-settings
ctrl+f for update in this settings list to the options you can set.

edit: yeah looks like the default is to not interupt the plugin when an update takes place, so you have to enable/disable it or reset your browser:

"extensionUpdateForceReload
Default: false.

uBO 1.23.0 and above.

If set to true, restores update behavior from before 1.22.3b ("Prevent uBO from being reloaded mid-session "), the extension will unconditionally reload when an update is available; otherwise, the extension will reload only when being explicitly disabled then enabled, or when the browser is restarted."

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 16, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tunicate posted:

fun fact you cannot cast shorts to your TV, they're just arbitrarily less useful.

They don't have a volume slider unlike a normal video. They had to write extra lines of code to get rid of the volume slider, I'm 100% sure that was someone's job for 20-40 hours. Writing out the ability to change volume and testing it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Grab Im Moor posted:

Did that happen to anyone else?

lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

First of May posted:

I just pay for YouTube Premium since I watch it more than any other streaming platform, and I like that the creators of the videos I watch get paid extra out of my subscription fee.

I also use SponsorBlock, which is a user-contributed database of timestamps that will automatically skip the in-video sponsor segments. The stats say I've saved about 48 hours of time just from skipped segments.

Time isn't all you can save when you choose NordVPN. Protect your security and save money with the number 1 VPN provider, NordVPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khanstant posted:

It's also helpful for music videos and other things with skits or whatever intro and you just wanna skip right to the good parts.

Hey speaking of have you ever seen the music video for MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCv86Olk8E