Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I've had zero shenanigans so far for Firefox + uBlock Origin on my desktop, but I only this past week learned that the weird "pay-for search engine" Kagi have a free web browser for iOS called Orion, which (if enabled in the settings, as it's "beta") can use Firefox and Chrome extensions.

As such I installed uBlock Origin (for FF) into it on my phone and YouTube now seemingly works ad-free, the first time I've used YouTube on my phone in years.

Movies seem to work too, though I had to set Orion's User-Agent to match my desktop Safari (and only the first time, when the movie loaded, I glimpsed like four adverts all just flash before my eyes, then the movie just began). Also doing this with the user agent will make YouTube take on a desktop UI design, so it's pretty much only worth it for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

I use Jellyfin instead of Plex, which is totally offline and still supports hardware transcoding (I have it use the Intel on-board video on my server, since I use the nVidia for running image recognition/etc. models). The only downside to Jellyfin is that it doesn't have the over-the-internet stuff.

I did just make a VPN on my router that my friends and family have accounts for, though, so they can access it that way, but it's slightly more involved (for me, for them it's just "use this profile file with this app")

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

YouTube actually turns on DRM if you watch the "YouTube Movies" content. Supposedly yt-dlp will still download the file for you, but you need a mystery tool to decrypt it (I genuinely don't know, I have never looked into it beyond being curious about the DRM as I knew they had it sometimes).

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

IIRC the image is decrypted on the monitor itself, so Windows could at best only capture an encrypted image. Usually it just shows up us a black blank image in the screen recording.

But as many other people itt already said, there many ways to get around the scheme. It's far from perfect and now only serves to deter the least motivated pirates.

The encryption to the monitor is just HDCP, which is just the entire screen's image and always on (if available - apps can check if it's enabled for the current screen and will use this to decide what resolution to play at in their window). If you have a dodgy HDMI/DVI-D cable (same electrical signals, effectively) this is why you'll occasionally suddenly see colour static on your monitor/TV, because the HDCP decoder in the screen and the encoder in the computer lost synchronisation for encryption keys. As mentioned, this is fairly easily broken, it used to be you could just buy an "HDMI splitter" on aliexpress that'd remove HDCP as part of the splitting process though I think it might be harder than that now.

The images from your DRM-protected movie exist unencrypted in your Windows (or macOS) machine's RAM during playback, the only thing protecting them when you take a screenshot is the OS itself. When you press the screenshot button, the OS copied out all the graphical surfaces not marked "protected". The movie is marked "protected" so the screenshot function just doesn't copy it out into the screenshot image that it then saves. These protected surfaces generally also aren't accessible from user space (e.g. applications) at all, to make them harder to just grab from RAM.

I've heard one trick to just being able to screenshot DRM content is to just run your web browser in a VM. Since that just flattens all the content into the framebuffer that you see for the whole OS inside the VM's window, it can't be individually marked protected anymore, and the VM itself isn't marking the whole screen as protected either, so the screenshot works (though I'm sure some DRM developers are trying to detect VMs too - I know some anti-cheat game software tries to detect VMs and disable the game).

I feel like a lot of the development in OSs over the past 15 years or so has pretty much just been anti-consumer stuff like DRM and locked down "app stores".

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

I've been buying legit copies of stuff from our local used record store and ripping them for Jellyfin (I keep the disks, but since we have a toddler I need to hide them, effectively). TNG is definitely a bit large even there though, and there's no guarantee it'll rip successfully (looking at you, weirdly shaped Simpsons S7 DVD box set that I need to return as I can't rip it). I did buy all the 'old' Star Trek movies for my collection, though, even Nemesis, as they were $1 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

These are all still in use today.

I've actually been curious about this. I used to enjoy posting on Usenet and never really bothered about the binaries groups - are people still posting conversation there or is it just binaries now? Obviously I used it when your ISP would give you a Usenet server along with your e-mail service, but having to pay (presumably to get access to the binaries) I assume has stopped conversation.