Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Hey google

gently caress YoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

We here at PragerU really want to tell you about our overbearing conservative beliefs and inform you how correct they are! Why won't you watch our ads??

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Just putting a schlong in a burger, nbd

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

gdi GetCheapJorts.com isn't a real site

Somewhere out there Kevin Smith is laughing at my misfortune in bottomwear pricing

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah a few days ago I noticed my Firefox Ad block extension had an update and I haven't noticed anymore Youtube Ad Fuckery since then. I'm guessing so far they're keeping ahead.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Let them try...

:getin:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah I was free for a week or so and as of yesterday I started getting warnings again. Eat my rear end, Google!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Think I've been using Firefox since ~2005 too and have generally enjoyed my time with it with no real complaints. I tried Chrome several years ago and gasped when I saw how many resources it hogged. Never used it again.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

My girlfriend and I use the TV app for things like RLM videos so we can both watch the same feed at the same tine without needing to synch up our computers, and we have noticed the interface has changed in the last week, with ads popping up more frequently and taking much longer before we are allowed to hit "skip." They're getting really goddamn egregious with their ads and I don't intend to use the app going forward.

Christ, they've gotten so loving brazen with this. I wish we had more realistic options for large scale internet media.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

We have two amazon TVs, which as of the last week have received a firmware update. Now when we turn them on, they automatically want to play the ad for whatever lovely Prime series or movie is on their banner. I think it's possible to disable, I'll be fiddling with it tomorrow.

Confirmed what was going on here.

But yeah, Google decided to completely change the framework of skipping YouTube ads and now it works even worse on TVs than ever. It's partially by design and partially from incompetence, but frankly I couldn't tell you which is the bigger driver.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Denim Dude posted:

What OS does your TV use?

Edit: long story short, If it's android based you can install smart tube beta. If it isn't, the fire tv stick 4k is currently 50% off at 24.99.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube

scroll down for install instructions. I see no reason why you shouldn't use the easiest option.

I double checked before I posted this to make sure it was still blocking ads and it is. as a bonus it also has sponsor block. How long will it work? Beats me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can finangle this tomorrow too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I had company over today and we were watching YouTube videos on the smart TV using the main app.

We got a five minute advertisement for "fleshy" fleshlights. I was and still am aghast that this got allowed on their ad services, though maybe I shouldn't be surprised given how many shittysuggestive mobile game ads they've been forcing lately.

YouTube: "watch our sex toy ads you FUCKS"

:psyduck: how is this real life

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I was recommended uBlock like five months ago and aside from one small hiccup, it has worked perfectly ever since.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Are you like the last person on the planet to hear about uBlock? Good for you anyway.

Yeah, I'm admittedly not too tech literate nowadays. I used a regular AdBlock extension on Firefox for many years and it worked well until YouTube started getting shittier with their ads in the past year, and that forced me to start researching more ways to properly skip their awful ads.

I'm pretty laid back. I can deal with a few ads here and there, but when services start constantly bombarding with 2.5+ minute ads or really gross ones, they're finally forcing my hand. The balance is so overthrown that something's gotta give. They get enough drat money already. :mad:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

dervival posted:

very, very few. trying to create a captive audience for advertising has been the main focus for at least a decade now, at the obvious cost of their quality

That's a good way to put it. Most of the time, local ads I see end up being more memorable than any major companies' ads because they have a kitschy quality to them- but you're only going to see those types of ads if you're watching a local station, rather than anything on the internet.

The only time I'm curious to purposely look at ads is at the Super Bowl, and I haven't been satisfied with even those ads for years. It truly is about having a captive audience now and hoping something sticks, rather than them doing anything particularly memorable.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I was randomly in a conversation with two other people earlier today, and we all universally concluded that Google search sucks now. Then we talked about which internet browsers we all use, instead of the resource hog of Chrome.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

AI imaging is the worst thing to happen to the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

It feels like a cold war arms race with both sides continually trying to outmaneuver the other.