Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kazzah posted:

We've finally completed the 20th century's greatest piece of infrastructure, a pair of space elevators, constructed right next to each other for some reason

One is for up and one is for down.

Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Does this show stay good? Watching the finale of season 1 right now and man this poo poo has been tense. also jesus christ why are you such an rear end in a top hat Frank Sobotka, you seemed like a pretty good guy I thought. THIS is what you want to get mad about during the last hour before you bleed out?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Does this show stay good? Watching the finale of season 1 right now and man this poo poo has been tense. also jesus christ why are you such an rear end in a top hat Frank Sobotka, you seemed like a pretty good guy I thought. THIS is what you want to get mad about during the last hour before you bleed out?

IMO yes it stays good.

Also I cut most of this stuff slack since they were born in like 1920 or what the gently caress ever.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like it. It has bad or dull episodes, but it's really cool overall and I love the setting and premise. It also looks like season 4 is a bit of course correction on the worst parts of season 2 and 3.

The only thing that truly makes this show hard to watch for me is it's loving depressing thinking about what might've been. This show doesn't even present a communist utopian vision, but at the very least it presents a world capitalism didn't do as much genocide, and didn't literally burn the planet's environment down. It really makes me sad about what could've been with some minor changes in the past.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's definitely not a perfect show, but it's a good one that's worth watching it despite its flaws.

Embrace the flaws and shitpost about them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nichael posted:

I like it. It has bad or dull episodes, but it's really cool overall and I love the setting and premise. It also looks like season 4 is a bit of course correction on the worst parts of season 2 and 3.

The only thing that truly makes this show hard to watch for me is it's loving depressing thinking about what might've been. This show doesn't even present a communist utopian vision, but at the very least it presents a world capitalism didn't do as much genocide, and didn't literally burn the planet's environment down. It really makes me sad about what could've been with some minor changes in the past.
A major points of divergence in the show is that the Three Mile Island nuclear accident, and other incidents like that, didn’t happen. So people don’t have the kind of emotional misgiving about nuclear energy that they do today.

It’s probably one of the most unrealistic premises. Even with all the investment in the world, tightly coupled systems like nuclear plants will fail. I think they needed a more believable way to sell this pro-nuclear future.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s a good enough show to suck you in and make you post about it’s flaws

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

:yeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I've felt the show has gotten more flawed with each season and some of the problems from season 1 have just really grown out of proportion (Ed has become almost a caricature), and they have hosed up some storylines pretty horribly... but I wouldn't still be watching if there wasn't gold in them there hills, and there is!

I do really, really miss Tracey and Gordo though, their final sequence was probably the high watermark of the show for me :patriot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I pray to god we get bin Laden even though it makes no sense

Reminds me of late era Tom Clancy where 9/11 happened in the Jack Ryan-verse even though it made absolutely no sense for it to have.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Phenotype posted:

Does this show stay good? Watching the finale of season 1 right now and man this poo poo has been tense.[/spoiler]
If you go into the subsequent seasons expecting Season 1, you're gonna be disappointed.

Some parts of Season 2 are as good as Season 1, but it has some low lows, straight-to-the-center-of-the-earth lows.

Imagine Season 1 is a normal prestige-level TV show, and Season 2+ are like if you told a high school creative writing class to watch S1 and take over from there. If you're able to take it at that level you'll have some fun.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
ok I kind of need to know what happened to Kelly’s baby. I’m no biologist but I can imagine developing in zero-g might cause some problems.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
It sucks but we get like two scifi shows a year that are decent and I've already finished the second one for 2023 so I may as well watch The Adventures of Mr. Dipshit in Space

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I believe in the fundamental thesis of the show so I'll keep watching it no matter how dumb it gets

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

It's definitely not a perfect show, but it's a good one that's worth watching it despite its flaws.

Welp, if this sort of thing is actively encouraged, then yeah lol I'm pretty aggravated after watching the first episode of S2. They built up all this intrigue about what the Russians were doing, that tense scene where Ed sees the Russian coming back up on their mining elevator, and oh poo poo the last shot of the cosmonaut was him looking suspicious at an empty Jamestown base, and now they're leaving Ellen all alone up there? And then boom, time skip, I guess none of that stuff mattered. Did they get a new writer's room or something? Felt like someone made a conscious effort to ditch all the plot seeds from the previous season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man you are reminding me of stuff I had forgotten, yes please keep posting your reactions!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

North Korea could have been so interesting if handled well. The alternative history could have easily been a country heavily subsidized by a dominant Soviet Union goes all in on tech rather than heavy industry and paranoia and reaped the benefits. Meanwhile South Korea languishes while the West plays catch-up and the cold war shifts to space. Unification under North Korea is the perfect kind of newspaper headline alt history and would actually matter to Korean war vet Ed.

Season 3 should have been the US and USSR racing each other with dueling ion drives that they spent the decade playing spy v. spy over and Unified Best Korea going from punchline to player when they deploy the solar sail.

I wonder if it's a case of the writers not being able to naturally progress where their alt history will go, if they're doing that harry turtledove thing of "people won't read/watch if I don't put in events they know" or if it's the people right at the top not wanting to make political statements that stops stuff like that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

devmd01 posted:

ok I kind of need to know what happened to Kelly’s baby. I’m no biologist but I can imagine developing in zero-g might cause some problems.

IIRC mammal pregnancies don't really work out very well in microgravity. Apparently some important processes in the very early stages require gravity to work correctly.

But Kelly was on Mars in 1/3 g, so the kid might live. Maybe.(It was such a dumb decision to not abort it)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The pregnancy was so insanely irresponsible on the part of everyone involved, at every step along the way, that you gotta wonder if there will be consequences in show. Probably not.

I wonder if the juxtaposition between our fearless and mission oriented gay astronauts and our deranged pill popping rage punching childbearing heterosexuals was on purpose. Combine that with the power of juche sustaining a North Korean comrade through the most titanic feat of endurance in human history and you might start to read this show as radical leftist propaganda :gay:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

General Battuta posted:

The pregnancy was so insanely irresponsible on the part of everyone involved, at every step along the way, that you gotta wonder if there will be consequences in show. Probably not.

I wonder if the juxtaposition between our fearless and mission oriented gay astronauts and our deranged pill popping rage punching childbearing heterosexuals was on purpose. Combine that with the power of juche sustaining a North Korean comrade through the most titanic feat of endurance in human history and you might start to read this show as radical leftist propaganda :gay:

won't be convinced until ed turns to the camera to praise marxist thought and a five hour lecture on dialectical materialism's extension into space

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

On ep3 of season two now, and okay, at least they're doing SOMETHING with the cosmonaut from the end of season one. Are they even in the same lunar base that he would have bugged? I thought the new one looked a lot different than the original Jamestown base, although I guess they might have just added onto the original. Still feel like this would have been a lot more gripping without a NINE year timeskip, though, seems dumb for all the tension between the Russians and the Americans up there to just take a hiatus for that long.

Also really really hoping for more tense season one space mission stuff. This show was at its best when it was showcasing just how difficult it was to send people into space, and how easy it was for things to go wrong and leave everyone stranded and helpless. The interpersonal stuff has always been interesting -- I like these characters, for the most part -- but man these first few episodes have dragged it out without much of the cool space stuff. Also not a big fan of Molly Cobb leaving her radiation badge in the cave in that first episode, felt too much like lame TV show forced drama where people lie for no reason so there can be a dramatic reveal later in the season. I get that she didn't want her career to be over, but lol cmon, you'd want to know if you've just treated yourself to a horrible death within the next month or two.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

General Battuta posted:

It blew my mind that the reveal of her pregnancy suggested so many potential plots moving forward - would Kelly be torn morally over the pregnancy, how would the crew react, was the doctor gonna try and force a termination, what would be the reaction back on Earth etc - and then (from memory) the next episode is just like 3 months later and everybody is just,"Oh there goes Kelly, our pregnant fellow astronaut :wave:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Also really really hoping for more tense season one space mission stuff. This show was at its best when it was showcasing just how difficult it was to send people into space, and how easy it was for things to go wrong and leave everyone stranded and helpless.

Season 2 being primarily "the moon is just a place we can go to regularly now" definitely shoves more of the enthralling "getting into space is REALLY difficult!" stuff in the background, but for all season 3's faults it does make that a primary feature of the show again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Phenotype posted:

On ep3 of season two now, and okay, at least they're doing SOMETHING with the cosmonaut from the end of season one. Are they even in the same lunar base that he would have bugged? I thought the new one looked a lot different than the original Jamestown base, although I guess they might have just added onto the original. Still feel like this would have been a lot more gripping without a NINE year timeskip, though, seems dumb for all the tension between the Russians and the Americans up there to just take a hiatus for that long.

Without spoilers:

Yes, definitely built onto the original base. That comes up in S2 as a thing.

The time skips are part of the DNA of the show, so get used to them. Right from the start RTD RM has talked about them having a multi-year plan worked out (although lots of details of it have changed) moving towards a literal starship.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 17, 2023

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Phenotype posted:

Jamestown has expanded quite a lot. The original base is still there, it's the back door and covered in solar panels in 1983.

quote:

Also not a big fan of Molly Cobb leaving her radiation badge in the cave in that first episode, felt too much like lame TV show forced drama where people lie for no reason so there can be a dramatic reveal later in the season. I get that she didn't want her career to be over, but lol cmon, you'd want to know if you've just treated yourself to a horrible death within the next month or two.

Molly Cobb is the most Star Trek character on the show, she's the self-sacrifice type.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Right from the start RTD has talked about them having a multi-year plan worked out (although lots of details of it have changed) moving towards a literal starship.

Russell T. Davies writing this show would be a headtrip!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Ed is going to eat the baby and gain it's life-force. Allowing him to continue doing space missions for another four seasons.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Ed is going to eat the baby and gain it's life-force. Allowing him to continue doing space missions for another four seasons.

They're going to do "anti aging drug that can only be synthesized in space" aren't they surely not

The REAL twist for this season would be newtypes

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

General Battuta posted:

They're going to do "anti aging drug that can only be synthesized in space" aren't they surely not

The REAL twist for this season would be newtypes

Ed is the Second person to ascend to an energy form.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Was the first the guy who got jerked into the Saturn IV-B exhaust in season 1

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

General Battuta posted:

no, it was karen

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Phenotype posted:

lol they had to use the text of s3 to outright put this in a context that seemed slightly less lovely because deke slayton was a real alive guy

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

For All Mankind is an Expanse prequel, and nothing will convince me otherwise.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Molly, who became light an instant before Boomybangbad. I reckon.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

Climate change wrecked our poo poo in The Expanse, while glorious communist space flight seemed to have mostly averted that in this show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay this season has been stuck in the doldrums but lol at the triumphant GUNS IN SPACE closer on episode 7 with I Fought The Law playing and the space marines doing chest bumps. The CGI wasn't terrible either on the LEM's flight, got a good sense of this fragile little aluminum foil vessel doing the trench run with four dorks clinging onto the back.

But jesus, I thought they'd done that ages ago! I feel like the last time they mentioned that the Russians had stolen their site, they said they'd need to take it back immediately and just keep it staffed around the clock because the Russians would have to go home at night. And they DIDNT FUCKIN BARELY TALK ABOUT IT EVER AGAIN even though it's the most interesting thing going on. I figured it must have happened off camera over the month(?) we spent doing all kinds of character drama on earth, because man, they've really pulled back from the main reason season one was so gripping. The actual space missions are just kinda happening in the background without any direct input from the characters. I did like Margo's little friendship with the Russian engineer, at least.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I did like Margo's little friendship with the Russian engineer, at least.

Margo is fun times all around!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Margo is fun times all around!

I like the character a lot, but I also feel like the migrant family from season 1 and the daughter Aleida could have been cut completely except that they wanted to give her an arc outside NASA. Felt like her little visit to Werner in season 1 was kinda similar, interesting enough for the character but really kinda unnecessary, and divorced from everything else going on. A lot of stuff like that in general in season 2, just too much character drama versus the space missions and political commentary that stood out last season. Don't show me Karen almost getting with her son's old friend when you could be showing me tense standoffs on the moon where everyone's living at the end of a very tenuous thread and they're all hosed if people start shooting and blowing holes in their fragile little aluminum habitats.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 17, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Madurai posted:

no, the Expanse respected orbital mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Margo and Sergei was my favorite thing about season 2. :)

Phenotype posted:

Okay this season has been stuck in the doldrums but lol at the triumphant GUNS IN SPACE closer on episode 7 with I Fought The Law playing and the space marines doing chest bumps. The CGI wasn't terrible either on the LEM's flight, got a good sense of this fragile little aluminum foil vessel doing the trench run with four dorks clinging onto the back.

This was one of my least favorite things in season 2 :sigh:

The followup where the Americans get a taste of assholes militarizing the moon was somewhat cathartic as a result. Not so great being on the other side is it you dicks! :argh: