Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

No oil on mars, the plastics to be made from Ed's Hemp Emporium

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I felt really let down when no one got vaporized by the engines in the finale. In an earlier season, that's definitely happening.

Season had too much palace intrigue and not enough "people finding novel, space-related ways to nearly die."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Was Danny the first space suicide? I can't remember others

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shrimpy posted:

I felt really let down when no one got vaporized by the engines in the finale. In an earlier season, that's definitely happening.

Season had too much palace intrigue and not enough "people finding novel, space-related ways to nearly die."

It was specifically so Massey could be shown to be "Good"
If she'd vaporised that guy it would have opened up a lot of bad things to happening, even if we don't explicitly see it. Now she can be in the next series and have it not be as insane

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

alexandriao posted:

"ed is too old" bitch have u looked at ur representatives lately lmfao

It would be fitting if season 5 opens and it's revealed that Ed is the president of the United States.

Though it's more likely he's president of Mars.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m rewatching Expanse on background right now and Fred Johnson, an earth born former earth military officer now living in the belt, considers himself a belter. There’s a speech he says to other belt-born belters where he says “we belters suffer and earth and mars take” and nobody bats an eye. Although iirc he gives this speech right after he spaces a belter for talking back to him so who knows if the space born belters consider him a belter.

I didn’t feel like finding the quote from the people speculating if ed would be considered a belter but that’s the context of this post.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rappaport posted:

Was Danny the first space suicide? I can't remember others

Maybe the first to suicide when he didn't really have to. But Gordo and Stacy killed themselves to save the station. That one Russian committed suicide by space cop when they tried to take over a mining site.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gordo and Stacy went on basically a suicide mission, but they did try to survive.

Danny never should've been up there, and I wish they would've addressed that whole situation more this season. They clearly learned nothing about maybe not sending unstable people to Mars, though.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Season 4 may have been the worst one yet. The whole Miles storyline was lazy as hell.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

not on mars they don't!!!

Regolith isn't much better honestly. You really don't want that stuff anywhere near your lungs, if they had any sense the suits would get hosed down every time they come back inside.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 30, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Season 4 may have been the worst one yet. The whole Miles storyline was lazy as hell.

It's a tough choice. Milosh's story was nonsensical, Danny's story was creepy, weird and made everyone around him act in the dumbest way possible.

On the whole though, season 4 was a step up from season 3, fite me :colbert:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rappaport posted:

It's a tough choice. Milosh's story was nonsensical, Danny's story was creepy, weird and made everyone around him act in the dumbest way possible.

On the whole though, season 4 was a step up from season 3, fite me :colbert:

Season 3 was nonsensical

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Season 3 was nonsensical

what are you talking about housewife > bar owner > COO of multibillion dollar company is a perfectly logical career progression

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bloody Pom posted:

Regolith isn't much better honestly. You really don't want that stuff anywhere near your lungs, if they had any sense the suits would get hosed down every time they come back inside.

Whether or not Martian sand is as jagged as lunar regolith is still an open question. My money is on it not being as bad since there's at least a little bit of weathering happening on Mars and used it have water.

I cringed when all the spacesuits were sitting on the ground outside in S4. You can't just brush them off and keep using them, even Earth sand will mess with the seals, let alone jagged regolith. All the contamination might make them unusable, or at least require extensive rebuilds.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Will my duct tape space suit be OK with the regolith though :ohdear:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

skooma512 posted:

Whether or not Martian sand is as jagged as lunar regolith is still an open question. My money is on it not being as bad since there's at least a little bit of weathering happening on Mars and used it have water.

I cringed when all the spacesuits were sitting on the ground outside in S4. You can't just brush them off and keep using them, even Earth sand will mess with the seals, let alone jagged regolith. All the contamination might make them unusable, or at least require extensive rebuilds.

I saw a youtube comment on a science video recently, the person said they worked on a experiment planting crops in regolith and the fine dust acts like concrete so much the roots can't push through it, and they gradually push the plant out of the medium unless they sift the gently caress out of it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

skooma512 posted:

That's a good point re: weathering, but I've also read that Mars dust is still potentially made up of silicates that happily react with moisture to become some pretty lung-shredding stuff, not unlike what you'd find in a quartz mine.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Isn't Mars mostly covered in tholeiitic basalt? Which i would assume is a shitload of silicates across the whole planet

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They found martian soil is drenched in chlorine compounds which are toxic to humans and plants. Science once again tramples on our purest hopes and dreams :smith:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Hey Mars, electrostatic chlorine dust storms seems unnecessary. Get your act together.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

breadshaped posted:

They found martian soil is drenched in chlorine compounds which are toxic to humans and plants. Science once again tramples on our purest hopes and dreams :smith:

Season 6 to Europa plz

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

External Organs posted:

Season 6 to Europa plz

You'll get an asteroid and you won't like it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

External Organs posted:

Season 6 to Europa plz

I have it on good authority that we should attempt no landings there.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Admiral Bosch posted:

I have it on good authority that we should attempt no landings there.

104 year old ed baldwin disagrees

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Race to land between Ed, Milosh and Dani

It doesn't even matter which agency sent whom

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Race to land between Ed, Milosh and Dani

It doesn't even matter which agency sent whom

They were all sent by the same agency in the same ship but they rigged it into 3 ships so they could race each other.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really hope S5 isn't just S4 with a gray filter instead of a red filter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope it's the exact same with the scripts having a find replace for mars and iridium and whatnot. Including then finding another asteroid that they put into orbit around the Goldilocks asteroid.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I hope S5 is about the discovery of unobtainium at the bottom of the Mariana Trench and the race to exploit it

Ed is a submarine pilot now

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I really hope S5 isn't just S4 with a gray filter instead of a red filter.

Sounds like somebody needs to learn to live in the gray.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Wafflecopper posted:

Ed is a submarine pilot now

you cant smoke weed on a sub

not even on stockton rush's sub!!!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eau de MacGowan posted:

you cant smoke weed on a sub

tell that to ed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"The only way I can stay alive is by smoking this deep sea kush."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Ed: how many atmospheres of pressure did you say this thing could handle?

Professor Farnsworth, original season 5 character, do not steal: well, it's a spaceship, so anywhere between zero and one

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Submarining in Europa would be a direction that helps avoid retreading too much ground. You could even do alien life that doesn't need a microscope.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

mossyfisk posted:

Submarining in Europa would be a direction that helps avoid retreading too much ground. You could even do alien life that doesn't need a microscope.

I’m afraid that they would feel a need to add a lot of drama to that. I didn’t dislike this season but I do miss the more science/alt-history focus of the first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The drama is them fighting off the squid monsters that live on Europa.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Have none of you watched The Shape of Water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Finally got around to finishing the season; definitely an improvement from S3 but I still wish there was less "you need to turn off your brain to enjoy this".

Big lmao at the camera gliding past the CIA torture guy looking all po-faced in that shot outside of sickbay after Dani got shot. Miles looking down at his bloody hands was dumb, but that was terminally lib-brained.

I'll echo that I'm not sure what the hook for S5 is going to be; I don't think asteroids are that interesting so maybe it'll be the Jovian moons? I don't know how they'd make Kelly's microbes compelling from a "show about space" point of view, at least.

Considering how big of an "F you" stealing the asteroid was, the logical thing is for the US to do is to nationalise Helios and come get Dev and the other people in on the plan, I imagine there'll be some kind of thin explanation as to why not. It would be interesting if we started seeing the rise of huge corps as rivals to nation-states a la Snow Crash or something, but it doesn't seem like that's been set up.

kiminewt posted:

Have none of you watched The Shape of Water?

Buddy,