Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

104 year old ed baldwin disagrees

Hey now hell only be a spry 94 in season 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I feel like there must be a compilation clip of all the times Margo was chewing in the show. She has such an exaggerated chewing action and the scenes always linger on it for so long that someone out there must have created one. It's probably someone's fetish. Probably the show director's.

Somewhere in Season 3 we started calling it out. "She's chewing again."
It happens a lot.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Big lmao at the camera gliding past the CIA torture guy looking all po-faced in that shot outside of sickbay after Dani got shot. Miles looking down at his bloody hands was dumb, but that was terminally lib-brained.
Just reminding me that this space show could literally spend its runtime anywhere in the solar system but we had to waste time watching people beat up a guy who failed his way into the Space Mafia

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Sivart13 posted:

Just reminding me that this space show could literally spend its runtime anywhere in the solar system but we had to waste time watching people beat up a guy who failed his way into the Space Mafia

dont forget those two hardened spooks realizing violence is bad because someone used a gun

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

dont forget those two hardened spooks realizing violence is bad because someone used a gun

Just as they were bashing people with metal batons in the head.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

This is very much how most people in the world contextualize violence in the current media landscape.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
After recently finishing this season and thinking about this thread has gotten me craving a big mac.. thanks advertising.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Previous renewals came before or during the previous season airing.

I'm getting real vibes that it's dropped or we'll get a final season announcement where they'll have to rush to a big finish.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Previous renewals came before or during the previous season airing.

I'm getting real vibes that it's dropped or we'll get a final season announcement where they'll have to rush to a big finish.

They know the old age makeup is hitting its limit so now they're just waiting until the actors age up before filming the next season.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

w00tazn posted:

After recently finishing this season and thinking about this thread has gotten me craving a big mac.. thanks advertising.

Check your doors and corners before taking that first bite

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bump thread. I just finished watching all four seasons after really enjoying 1 and 2, but burning out halfway through season 3 in its original airing.

Season 1 was fantastic.

Season 2 was goofy but still real good.

Season 3 was okay. A whole lot of really dumb disbelief suspending things (Kelly not only let herself get pregnant, but kept the baby??) where the first two seasons seemed at at least semi grounded. Loved the design of the Soviet Mars ship. Don't care about Danny and Karen, yada yada, all the same complaints everyone else in the thread had. The schlock did lead to my favorite scene in that season, though: the two North Koreans blasting down to the surface of Mars in their tiny busted capsule. (Yes, they absolutely should have been Chinese, but I did like that Ed could speak Korean to the guy. That writer gets a gold star for remembering a thing about the character!)

Season 4 was ... not good. Way too many storylines and characters that didn't go anywhere. What happened to the lady who got sent to India? I do not care about unions on mars or world's stupidest mob boss or the big asteroid. "Goldilocks" is a dumb name for the asteroid that doesn't seem to have any particular meaning. I think the writers picked it because "oh it's made of precious metal, it'll make everyone rich" not knowing that the story isn't about gold at all. Kelly is not an entertaining character, a buzzkill who perpetually alternates between sad/stressed and overly serious, but I thought her search for life was vastly more interesting than the asteroid plot, or could have been if they spent more than 11 minutes on it across the whole season. The timeline was super weird; a couple of times things would seem to advance by weeks or months on Mars, but just a couple of days on Earth for Margo.There were like a hundred million holes in the story that other people in the thread have pointed out many times. I wasn't invested in any character, even the ones from previous seasons. The sneak preview scene for next season was terrible and boring. The only scene in the whole season that I really liked was the moment Aleida reunited with Margo in the hotel.

Margo talking about running away with Sergei and "what are we going to do, [as soulmates finally living together in tropical paradise], stare at the walls of the apartment?" made me consider: is Margo is a lifelong virgin?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 24, 2024

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The asteroid was called goldilocks because it was just the right size in the right space at the right time. Not too big to be impossible to capture, not too small to be not worth capturing. Idk if you're familiar with English language fairy tales, but goldilocks is a story about a girl called goldilocks who goes into a house in the woods where three bears live. She then goes about stealing all their poo poo. The big bear's chair is too big, the little bear's chair is too little, but the middle bear's chair is just right. One bear's food is too hot, one bear's food is too cold, but one bear's food is just right. Etc. Etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldilocks_and_the_Three_Bears

And yes, Margo is 100% a giga virgin

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 24, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Goldilocks had been used to describe planets that are just right for life too. It makes perfect sense from a space things perspective.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This season was pretty bad but I still kinda enjoy how hammy it gets.

That said one thing I was thinking is that maybe the Soviets send Margo to America precisely to lure Sergei out of hiding. There’s not direct textual evidence of this and maybe it gives the writers more credit than they deserve, but it makes sense to me. Neo-Stalinist Premier wants to make an example of national enemies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That could be it. Though I don't know if he's exactly hiding in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if they just dumped him in the midwest and told him to lay low without giving him anything besides a math teacher job because "Russians are good at math, right?" Then the KGB spent years looking for him and never bothering to check Omaha or something.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Cojawfee posted:

without giving him anything besides a math teacher job because "Russians are good at math, right?"

I mean, he was head of the Russian space agency and had worked directly with NASA on complex engineering problems. I think they had enough direct evidence of his mathematical ability beyond 'tovarich does sums good'.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The theory also kinda lines up with how sloppy the suicide looks. They don’t really want it to look like a suicide.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It would have been nice to more deeply explore the context of Margo's situation and Sergei's death, but there's just no time for it -- not without cutting out such plot-critical scenes as "kelly and her mother-in-law still don't get along," "ed smokes weed again" or "adam sandler's wife tours her new house"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 29, 2024

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I don't think the problems with this season are "not enough Margo"

those first couple of episode are half about watching her as an old lady stare at stuff or get menaced

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sivart13 posted:

I don't think the problems with this season are "not enough Margo"

those first couple of episode are half about watching her as an old lady stare at stuff or get menaced

I’m sorry but Margo’s Interrogation Conga Line is one of my favorite moments of the entire series

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m sorry but Margo’s Interrogation Conga Line is one of my favorite moments of the entire series

Hell, :same:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just discovered this piece of casting information I hadn't realised.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's also Avatar Roku.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Season 5 renewal confirmed, along with a Soviet-based spinoff series

https://www.thewrap.com/for-all-mankind-renewed-season-5-spinoff-show/

quote:

Described as “a propulsive paranoid thriller that takes us back to the key moment in the alt-history retelling of the space race,” “Star City” explores how the Soviet Union became the first nation to put a man on the moon. This was covered early in the “For All Mankind” run, but this time “we explore the story from behind the Iron Curtain, showing the lives of the cosmonauts, the engineers, and the intelligence officers embedded among them in the Soviet space program, and the risks they all took to propel humanity forward.”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Is that a prequel to the alternate history series that takes place before the point of divergence.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh, I feel like any of their non-US plotlines are the weakest parts of the show to begin with. Who had the bright idea to focus solely on that???

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We don't precisely know what the exact moment of divergence was (except the major historical events ofc) so maybe this will go places FAM did not go.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ixnay posted:

This is bizarre.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Ugh, I don't really have a lot of hope for this. I always thought that the best thing the show did was not explain how the Soviets were first, just that they were.

Trying to explain it is going to cause my head to explode because of how dysfunctional the Soviet space program was and there really isn't a way to fix that without a massive loving divergence from history to the point that the Soviet Union sort of stops being the Soviet Union for the purposes of the narrative.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McNally posted:

Ugh, I don't really have a lot of hope for this. I always thought that the best thing the show did was not explain how the Soviets were first, just that they were.

Trying to explain it is going to cause my head to explode because of how dysfunctional the Soviet space program was and there really isn't a way to fix that without a massive loving divergence from history to the point that the Soviet Union sort of stops being the Soviet Union for the purposes of the narrative.

I mean it's already hosed because they had Korolyev on the show, with the implication that he was pretty high up in the food chain. Of course the general audience who doesn't necessarily know that much about the Soviet program in our time-line won't have major issues watching whatever alt-history is presented, but I agree that the Soviet scenes we have seen have been inconsistent and not all that great. From a drama perspective, anyway, Margo's experience with the NKVD was extremely hilarious but I doubt it was intentional :banjo:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Rappaport posted:

I mean it's already hosed because they had Korolyev on the show, with the implication that he was pretty high up in the food chain. Of course the general audience who doesn't necessarily know that much about the Soviet program in our time-line won't have major issues watching whatever alt-history is presented, but I agree that the Soviet scenes we have seen have been inconsistent and not all that great. From a drama perspective, anyway, Margo's experience with the NKVD was extremely hilarious but I doubt it was intentional :banjo:

oh poo poo Margo time traveled too?

NKVD became the MGB in 1946 which became the KGB in 1954

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McNally posted:

oh poo poo Margo time traveled too?

NKVD became the MGB in 1946 which became the KGB in 1954

I know, but traditions are important

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Either though the show gets dumb, I'm hoping they get to tell their seven season story fully. It's frustrating having three Star Treks dead before a desired ending for any of them.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
KEEP TROWELING ON THAT HORRIBLE OLD MAN MAKEUP

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ixnay posted:

I don't trust anyone who would be involved with this project to do this in a way that doesn't come across horribly insulting and ignorant

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm gonna guess this came about because they know the strength of the show was the alt-history aspect. Wouldn't be surprised if some producer was pushing for them to do flashbacks to the 60s in S5 to balance out how much it's becoming a futuristic SciFi show.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's hard to do a alt history show about a history that very few people in the West (and in general) are actually familiar with.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I actually quite dig the idea of seeing the other side of season one from the antagonist perspective. It's a novel idea, if anything else.

Mind you, I would rather they greenlit and fast track two more seasons of the main show, but it could be fun.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So the spinoff prequel will have a deaged Ed right? He needs to be in it, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Boris Galerkin posted:

So the spinoff prequel will have a deaged Ed right? He needs to be in it, somehow.

He was a Russian agent all along