Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Is it better than 1995 snl at least?
https://archive.org/details/saturday-night-live-s-20-e-15-paul-reiser-annie-lennox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, they could do that same opening skit today

well, maybe not today because there is no republican house speaker, but you know what i mean

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Buce posted:

pete davidson was complicit in the 9/11 attack

:tinfoil:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

terrorism was his last resort to collect the $1500 owed by his dad

if his father hadn't failed him he never would've gone down that dark path

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What a lovely beard lol

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yes, If I don't turn off my TV in time after turning off my Playstation this Samsung car channel (presented by the History Channel) comes on with either lovely guitar riffs in between shows or dudes standing around a car and one of them is always near completely bald, but he spikes his remaining whisps all the towards middle and he has a chain wallet. It makes me so irrationally angry every time, and I'm too lazy to change it.

Know this exists for 24 hours a day is far worse than whatever bullshit SNL is death-rattling out.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

lol, they could do that same opening skit today

well, maybe not today because there is no republican house speaker, but you know what i mean

Check out that "Where's Superman?" sketch right after the monologue. It goes on for like 6 minutes and I think there were about two times it managed to get a laugh out of the audience.

They also went to the trouble to snag rather elaborate xenomorph costume effects for "Aliens 4: Mad About You Aliens" (at about 47 minutes) but didn't bother to write any, like, jokes for the skit or anything. I guess "Aliens in Mad About You because Paul Reiser" is itself a joke, but the writers needed a memo that a skit needs multiple jokes.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Heres a blisteringly hot take:

If you ask anyone when SNL was best they will likely say right around the time they were 14 years old.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
As a filthy foreign devil I’ve never seem the appeal of SNL, the “hilarious” ones I’ve seen are good for a chuckle and the others are painfully unfunny. Maybe it’s a cultural thing.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Today's SNL still hasn't aired here, so someone else will have to tell me if it's better or worse than "Turn On" a show that was cancelled during its first commercial break on its first episode in 1969: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Turn-On_Episode_1.webm

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Today's SNL still hasn't aired here, so someone else will have to tell me if it's better or worse than "Turn On" a show that was cancelled during its first commercial break on its first episode in 1969: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Turn-On_Episode_1.webm

awesome show great job!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yep going to watch that 30 minute video thanks

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

awesome show great job!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm watching it right now, about 14 min in, it's fascinating

e: lol, this banner that scrolled by from 54 years ago

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 15, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm watching it right now, about 14 min in, it's fascinating

? Orly

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

watched the whole thing, can confirm it was better than snl

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Turn On, more like turn off.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Okay the weekly update actually made me laugh several times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhQyKltB9Y

Jost and Che are like the only part still funny sometimes and watchable

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Who all's parents let them watch SNL at a somewhat young age? I knew some kids that weren't allowed. I pitied them. My parents didn't worry about what we watched but we also didn't have cable. We did have satellite though but I could never figure out how to work it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

SNL is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxAu_adwVA

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

watched the whole thing, can confirm it was better than snl

Good to know thx!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Dixville posted:

Who all's parents let them watch SNL at a somewhat young age? I knew some kids that weren't allowed. I pitied them. My parents didn't worry about what we watched but we also didn't have cable. We did have satellite though but I could never figure out how to work it.

My mom didn't care what I watched unless it had titties then all of a sudden she'd be all "what is this filth?!"

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 15, 2023

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dixville posted:

We were a MadTV family. They wouldn’t let me watch the Simpsons but this poo poo was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG55kNjO1Vs

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Buce posted:

also that awful space force show was 100 times more believable than for all mankind

They had interesting ideas seasons 1 & 2 especially the “anyone can die” vibe and the alternate timeline, but the bizarre decision to pivot to a bad love triangle & somehow making Mars boring has me kinda want to watch S4 to see how stupid it gets.

Poohs Packin posted:

Heres a blisteringly hot take:

If you ask anyone when SNL was best they will likely say right around the time they were 14 years old.

True, although holy cow looking up sketches I recall enjoying is a good way to realize Mike Myers in yellowface was a common occurrence.

XYZAB posted:

We were a MadTV family. They wouldn’t let me watch the Simpsons but this poo poo was fine.

Lol it’s interesting to think back on MadTV sketches I liked such as Kenny Rogers Jackass and realize I was just a Will Sasso fan. Thankfully his current podcast owns and is full of impressions.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Been hearing a lot of good things about Ted Lasso op

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I was listening to Pete’s book on dating “babes” and it was wild to learn his dad was working on 9/11 to pay for Pete’s special orthopedic underwear

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Is tvworst like bratwurst?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

XYZAB posted:

MadTV family checking in

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Imagine being home on a Saturday night watching TV.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wendigee posted:

Keenan ... is incredibly bad.

gently caress you

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Saturday Night Live has always been terrible. It is a couple good skits that are ok per week. A couple great skits per season. This has always been the case. Everybody who says SNL used to be good is remembering those great skits from each era and forgetting all the terrible ones that surrounded them. Yes, even Farley had mostly forgettable skits. Chris Rock too. Akroyd? Most definitely. Norm McDonald? Ok, all rules have exceptions.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Triikan posted:

Saturday Night Live has always been terrible. It is a couple good skits that are ok per week. A couple great skits per season. This has always been the case. Everybody who says SNL used to be good is remembering those great skits from each era and forgetting all the terrible ones that surrounded them. Yes, even Farley had mostly forgettable skits. Chris Rock too. Akroyd? Most definitely.

Chris Rock was barely even in anything

most of the consistently good poo poo was always Update

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SNL mostly sucks and always has, but Kenan Thompson owns. Him and Kel Mitchell are making a Good Burger sequel right now and I'm gonna watch it and like it.

Jimmy Fallon, on the other hand, has never once been funny. And Will Ferrell is only funny when he's not on SNL.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol it’s interesting to think back on MadTV sketches I liked such as Kenny Rogers Jackass and realize I was just a Will Sasso fan. Thankfully his current podcast owns and is full of impressions.

It's always been weird to me that Sasso isn't a big star. He's funny as gently caress.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lemons?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSJ1--kBZ4

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Animal-Mother posted:

It's always been weird to me that Sasso isn't a big star. He's funny as gently caress.

Yeah he definitely has the talent wonder if it was because he didn’t have a big breakthrough silly 90s comedy like Sandler or Carrey. His podcast Dudesy is hilarious & showcases his masterful impressions, in segments such as “Stone Cold Steve Austin Reads Will Sasso’s High School Diary.”

It’s fun when he rambles as a character about how NWO split into the Wolfpac & black & white to annoy his non-wrestling fan cohost but then realize he’s making sense & has encyclopedic knowledge about the sport.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah he definitely has the talent wonder if it was because he didn’t have a big breakthrough silly 90s comedy like Sandler or Carrey. His podcast Dudesy is hilarious & showcases his masterful impressions, in segments such as “Stone Cold Steve Austin Reads Will Sasso’s High School Diary.”

It’s fun when he rambles as a character about how NWO split into the Wolfpac & black & white to annoy his non-wrestling fan cohost but then realize he’s making sense & has encyclopedic knowledge about the sport.

Sasso and Koechner always reminded me of each other

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dixville posted:

That explains everything

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

:goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

SNL was never good

Even its so-called “golden age” in the 70s had maybe 1 good sketch per episode buried under a pile of cringe.

Brace yourself for such knee-slapping sketches like “Chevy Chase Falls Down”, “People Say The Word “Cheeseburger Really Fast”, as well as “John Belushi Mocks The Japanese.”