Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Brace yourself for such knee-slapping sketches like “Chevy Chase Falls Down”, “People Say The Word “Cheeseburger Really Fast”, as well as “John Belushi Mocks The Japanese.”

my mom brought up the cheeseburger sketch the other day and I said I never understood what was funny about it and she thought for a minute and finally said, "well, he says cheeseburger a lot" and then she shrugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TIP posted:

my mom brought up the cheeseburger sketch the other day and I said I never understood what was funny about it and she thought for a minute and finally said, "well, he says cheeseburger a lot" and then she shrugged

lmao

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gatto Grigio posted:

SNL was never good

Even its so-called “golden age” in the 70s had maybe 1 good sketch per episode buried under a pile of cringe.

Brace yourself for such knee-slapping sketches like “Chevy Chase Falls Down”, “People Say The Word “Cheeseburger Really Fast”, as well as “John Belushi Mocks The Japanese.”

It was a different time. Being a sweaty gross guy was still a novelty.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It was a different time. Being a sweaty gross guy was still a novelty.

also it was network tv, before cable. It killed in the Nielsens because there was literally nothing else playing on other channels during its timeslot.

It’s easy to come out on top when your only competition is a holding pattern.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NS2H55dxI

I like this bit :3

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

TIP posted:

Your mom is dumb.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I don’t think his mom is dumb. It’s just that standards for comedy have changed a lot as future generations became more media-savvy.

And like I said before, there was also literally nothing else to watch if you were a young boomer staying up late on a Saturday night

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Even in the glory days, the musical guests were the only good reason to watch SNL. If you wanted funny, you watched SCTV.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Was SNL ever considered "good" or has it always been the same poo poo it is today?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The real problem with SNL and a lot of skit shows in general is that they generally have about 90 seconds of good material stretched out into five minute long skits.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
SNL makes me view America as a depressing shithole more than your work culture, car worship, health care system and politics. The world looks at a country with SNL and thinks "thank god that's not me"

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

SNL makes me view America as a depressing shithole more than your work culture, car worship, health care system and politics. The world looks at a country with SNL and thinks "thank god that's not me"

As an American… yeah, no argument there.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

obviously you missed the mango episodes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Today's SNL still hasn't aired here, so someone else will have to tell me if it's better or worse than "Turn On" a show that was cancelled during its first commercial break on its first episode in 1969: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Turn-On_Episode_1.webm

Is that a show or an anxiety attack?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

TIP posted:

Olympia Diner is pretty funny. The super limited menu. They only serve Pepsi. They are incredibly rude to customers but have super fast and streamlined service.

Its sterotypes but they're not exactly harmful.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

heyyyyyyyyyyyy it’s the dudemeister, makin copies, eyyyyyyyyyyyy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Today's SNL still hasn't aired here, so someone else will have to tell me if it's better or worse than "Turn On" a show that was cancelled during its first commercial break on its first episode in 1969: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Turn-On_Episode_1.webm

Apparently networks were flooded with calls from church lady types who were incredibly offended by the show, and some network executive in Cleveland found it so unpalatable that he immediately pulled the show and went to the test pattern during the first commercial break. He then proceeded to call networks in timezones further west and persuaded them not to air it either.

Even today the show is… interesting in an avant-garde way, but I can't see people back then, or even now, sitting down to watch this every week. You needed some very thin skin to find this offensive though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol "SNL was never funny". Some of y'all are spoiled and don't realize it.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

The child molesting robot sketch the rock was in was pretty good

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Caesar Saladin posted:

The real problem with SNL and a lot of skit shows in general is that they generally have about 90 seconds of good material stretched out into five minute long skits.

Yeah plus it has to be sanitized & dumbed down because that’s how they get the fast food & car companies to keep buying ads. One plus about the show is it helps talent get funding for genuinely quality shows such as I Think You Should Leave & Documentary Now, that would never work on SNL.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think the episode of SNL with Steven Seagal is prob the worst one in existence, but it's so brutally unfunny that it ends up becoming the funniest SNL

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Celebrity Jeopardy was good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Caesar Saladin posted:

A lot of sketch shows also have extremely dated references and celebrity impersonations to (then) current events and pop culture phenomenon that is lost to current audiences when watching them 20 to 30 years later.

So you’re left with people who weren’t around back then wondering or just plum forgot who the hell Arsenio Hall is and why his audience is WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOOing loudly.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 16, 2023

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
When Lorne croaks y’all think the show goes with him? Who would they get to replace him, Dennis Miller? That’s like Attila the Hun replacing Napoleon at the Battle of Algiers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Les Os posted:

When Lorne croaks y’all think the show goes with him? Who would they get to replace him, Dennis Miller? That’s like Attila the Hun replacing Napoleon at the Battle of Algiers

lol I understood this reference, coochi-coo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Every new "comedy" is a handful of former snl cast members doing bad improv with a bunch of no names that aren't allowed to be funny.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Les Os posted:

I'm pretty sure Keenan is supposed to take over when Lorne croaks, unless that changed

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
the top thread in GBS being about hating SNL is so very GBS

trump-tier criticism, good work everyone

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I like will Ferrell and Tina Fey and the parks and rec lady whose name I can't remember right now because I'm still waking up

I would watch a lot of early 90's SNL reruns until 3am on comedy Central back in the day and enjoyed them a lot, but today I'm very meh

AMY POEHLER that's it!!!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've never understood the saccharine ending to this show. The music, the hugging and celebrating each other's existence, the waving to the audience. It just seems so contrived. Also, I am Australian.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

huh posted:

I've never understood the saccharine ending to this show. The music, the hugging and celebrating each other's existence, the waving to the audience. It just seems so contrived. Also, I am Australian.

Because it's a live show it's mostly just a runtime thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

huh posted:

That's an actor thing. They do that at stage plays too.

And consider the cast has been working together probably pretty hard for a few days at least and I'm sure it feels great when it's over.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should instead kowtow and apologize at the end of every show

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
at the end of every show they should pick the weakest performer and kick them off the show

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Anyone who thinks SNL is the worst it's ever been right now skip to 57:50 in this and watch the One Brother sketch.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The_Franz posted:

Apparently networks were flooded with calls from church lady types who were incredibly offended by the show, and some network executive in Cleveland found it so unpalatable that he immediately pulled the show and went to the test pattern during the first commercial break. He then proceeded to call networks in timezones further west and persuaded them not to air it either.

It's like the ending of Halloween III Season of the Witch in real life.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
I'm too old to stay up for SNL anymore anyway. Nothing beats falling asleep before midnight.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Roleplaying Dad posted:

I'm too old to stay up for SNL anymore anyway. Nothing beats falling asleep before midnight.
I don't even know how to watch it any more, they took it off Hulu a while ago which is the last streaming service I was aware had it.

I'm guessing now you have to watch it on the website in lovely quality with commercials?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jelly posted:

the top thread in GBS being about hating SNL is so very GBS

trump-tier criticism, good work everyone

actually a lot of people here love the show and support its vital role as an incubator for fresh comedic talent and incredible one-of-a kind characters, like mango

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Roleplaying Dad posted:

I can't even make 11 these days.