Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I wonder how much it costs to produce a typical SNL episode, apparently the pay for both performers and writers is notoriously lovely so I wonder if that's a factor in its longevity (plus what the hell else would NBC run at 11:30pm on a Saturday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

And the woman producing SNL in 1980 had to basically be forced to take Eddie, she wanted Robert Townsend instead

lmao yeah good luck with meteor man

haljordan posted:

I wonder how much it costs to produce a typical SNL episode, apparently the pay for both performers and writers is notoriously lovely so I wonder if that's a factor in its longevity (plus what the hell else would NBC run at 11:30pm on a Saturday)

it cruises because it's probably better/more consistent pay than what they would be getting otherwise

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah true it's a guaranteed paycheck that won't bounce, which a million comedians currently working lovely clubs would brutally kill each other for

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
hey remember when aaron sorkin did a show about a fictionalized version of snl, and made it about how serious and important this sketch comedy show was

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

Yeah true it's a guaranteed paycheck that won't bounce, which a million comedians currently working lovely clubs would brutally kill each other for

I mean, Robinson got elevated from writer to player, knew he wasn't working as a player, so he went back to the writer's room before he left. Guaranteed paychecks are nice.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I mean, Robinson got elevated from writer to player, knew he wasn't working as a player, so he went back to the writer's room before he left. Guaranteed paychecks are nice.

My thinking was more that the execs kind of just renew the show out of habit because it's not a huge hit to the bottom line even when the ratings are real bad

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

My thinking was more that the execs kind of just renew the show out of habit because it's not a huge hit to the bottom line even when the ratings are real bad

That's probably part of it too as far as bottom-line, but it's totally a make-work program for some legitimately talented people who'd be eating poo poo otherwise as well.

Not all of them.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Who’s keeping it alive now?

Nothing. It’s dead. We’re all dead. We’re just wandering through echoes of the past.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 17, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Who’s keeping it alive now?

As streaming culture gets more mainstream & old school networks are desperate for anything the youngs might watch that isn’t sports no way they’re gonna cancel something nearly all Americans have seen once or twice.

Who cares if it’s trash as long as the audience shows up and ads sell. Like how Simpsons will never end & someone keeps publishing Tom Clancy books.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

hey remember when aaron sorkin did a show about a fictionalized version of snl, and made it about how serious and important this sketch comedy show was

No, and I'd like to keep it that way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Aaron Sorkin is one of the worst writers to ever get famous

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

As streaming culture gets more mainstream & old school networks are desperate for anything the youngs might watch that isn’t sports no way they’re gonna cancel something nearly all Americans have seen once or twice.

Who cares if it’s trash as long as the audience shows up and ads sell. Like how Simpsons will never end & someone keeps publishing Tom Clancy books.

The very first year the Superbowl goes streaming only, broadcast TV is done for. It'll happen a lot sooner than you think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

Anyone who gets a meeting with Lorne has to wait outside his office for like an hour and a half no matter what, because he's a petty shithead

It's funny that at least two parodies of Lorne have made it to film: The much more famous Dr. Evil, and that character from the Kids in the Hall movie, Brain Candy. I think the KITH character came first.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh poo poo I forgot that character originated in Brain Candy as a Lorne Michaels dig. He shows up again in the new series but he's a more generic out-of-touch CEO character now. Probably bc Michaels still owns the rights to KITH through Broadway Video, so unfortunately they have to kiss rear end.

Which is kinda my main issue with Michaels, he demands a culture of kiss-assery and subsequently does poo poo like the making people wait outside his office for hours thing. And isn't afraid to crush people to get his way from a business perspective, in order to keep that fear and capitulation always going.

You don't get someone being a media 'boss' for this long without him also being a sleazy motherfucker who knows how to use power to his advantage, and does it often.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 17, 2023

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I heard Pete Taco Bell Davidson made some super cool and funny jokes about the Palestinian genocide.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

MrQwerty posted:

I was shocked to find out he wrote for SNL because his Netflix stuff was so good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Wendigee posted:

That doesn't make it even worse? Your dad worked 9-11 to pay you back a thousand bucks? loving hell

Lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is there any good stories about Lorne. You hear a lot of people say "oh Lorne, he's great", but every story I hear about him make him sound like an unfunny, rear end in a top hat, hack, who's only talent being maintaining power.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

dr_rat posted:

Is there any good stories about Lorne. You hear a lot of people say "oh Lorne, he's great", but every story I hear about him make him sound like an unfunny, rear end in a top hat, hack, who's only talent being maintaining power.

The following is purely speculation: Based on how absurd his most outrageous practices are, I suspect the initial thought was "Wouldn't it be funny if..."

But nobody says anything or reacts, he doubles down, eventually he's hiring dozens of college age girls as assistants or wasting people's time and it feels good. He's addicted to being an rear end in a top hat.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

N. Senada posted:

I was shocked to find out he wrote for SNL because his Netflix stuff was so good

You're shocked that someone who had to constantly write sketch comedy for a weekly live show was good at it when he and his friends got a budget and a yearly schedule?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

GIMME GIMME GIMME THE BALL BECAUSE I'M GONNA DUNK IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-uSWAJd9GE

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I heard Pete Taco Bell Davidson made some super cool and funny jokes about the Palestinian genocide.

It’s Pete Butthole Eyes get it right, dingus!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I feel like Robinson being on SNL is proof that it doesn't actually 'elevate' the best talents - sure, it gets the incredibly funny people but then it waters their work down to moderate dreck.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Robinson would have never gotten paid regularly for years to work on his poo poo or gotten a development deal with Samberg's company if he didn't work on SNL

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I still can’t believe Jack Handy was actually the writers name lol. Deep thoughts was always good.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I still can’t believe Jack Handy was actually the writers name lol. Deep thoughts was always good.

Because, hey, free dummy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One of Jack Handy's books had a bunch of SNL scripts, including a sketch that never got made for a Carl Weathers episode called the Zombies vs. the Bees. It was a horror movie where zombies and bees were at war with each other and the humans were casually arguing over which side they were on. Weathers was going to play the sheriff, who just did not have time for this poo poo.

It was pretty funny.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
all sketch comedy shows have spotty writing because it's too hard to constantly churn out good ideas, so quality is mostly dependent on how many high level performers who can sell a mediocre joke the show has in the cast at the same time. like on one end you've got madtv with will sasso and on the other end is SCTV where almost the entire cast can kill.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I have an earlier version of this SNL oral history.

Cast members’ and others’ opinions of him vary. The most common things being that he’s like a distant father figure, who’s masterful in his control of himself and others, and that it’s hard to know why he does the things he does. And then someone will say he’s easy to understand, perceptive, and a great guy. Oh, and he loves popcorn, and does or did have many blonde assistants known as The Lornettes.

The last chapter is devoted totally to him, below are some excerpts. Sorry for the long post, it’s a great book if you’re interested in comedy/SNL.

Fred Wolf posted:

I had a turbulent family life and my dad wasn’t around that much, and I just think Lorne is the greatest. I’d be furious at him and I’d be like really happy sometimes and other times I’d be sullen, but he’s just the greatest guy that I’ve come in contact with, certainly in my career. Some people can get away with everything with him, and some people he would just never give a break to, and you can never really figure out why.

Paul Simon posted:

He was like one of the guys. He wasn’t a father figure to me. Not to Michael O’Donoghue. Not to Gilda. But Lorne became the father figure as the cast and writers became younger in comparison to his age. And I think that was one of his big transitional points, when he realized that he wasn’t one of their contemporaries; when he wasn’t one of the boys and he wasn’t looked upon as one of the gang. I think that’s when he started to act separate from everybody. He used to wear jeans and a blazer. Then he became a suit and tie guy.

Laraine Newman posted:

I think the worst you can say is that he mismanaged or underestimated the impact he had on people who depended on him, and when he couldn’t make it good for them, how betrayed they felt.

Tom Davis posted:

Lorne a snob? Sure he’s a snob. He’s a starfucker of the highest order...but you just have to get past it. He has a very sweet side. He also, in my opinion, does reward the squeaky wheels.

Candice Bergen posted:

Well, he’s an extraordinarily good friend. He’s a wonderful storyteller and he loves to talk. You’d think he wouldn’t have time to pay attention to you, but he pays real attention and he’s incredibly generous as a friend. And very loyal. He’s so smart and perceptive about people; he just gets people so quickly and he’s so astute in what he picks up about them. He’s amazingly measured and wonderfully witty. I love hearing Lorne’s point of view on everything, basically, because I just think what he has to say is so worth hearing. Lorne is only a force for good...
When my husband died and there was a tribute for him, without even asking, Lorne had it filmed and had videotapes made. And it was the kind of thing he would do and then never even refer to it.

Garrett Morris posted:

There’s this commercial with a guy sitting on top of a John Deere machine and the guy says, “How long does a John Deere last?” You know, they’re like a Maytag, nobody ever goes to repair these motherfuckers, right? That commercial always reminded me of Lorne. Nobody ever had to call the repairman on him...
Lorne dug me with all of my flaws, I dig him with all of his. I’m still a Lorne Michaels man.

Janeane Garofalo posted:

I waited in his office for hours. And then I decided I would refuse to be embarrassed like that again. You’ll wait a lot of hours - that’s a power thing.

Damon Wayans posted:

He never said anything but great things about me - even though he fired me. I remember there was a kid on the show who had a drug problem, and Lorne would put him in rehab and take care of him and pay him while he was there and then bring him back to the show. He was like a father to the kid, with the kind of patience a father would have.

James Signorelli posted:

I swear to God - and I’ve been around this guy for almost thirty years - Lorne has no interest in what you want to talk about. None. What Lorne thinks is, if you need him to help you solve it, it’s not worth solving. And you ultimately are going to solve it yourself, even if he told you a better solution.

Conan O’Brien posted:

...because Lorne will not usually confront you directly. He would just say things like, “oh, I loved how it had no ending,” or “it was brilliant how it just sort of dribbled off.” And he’s trying to talk about the lousy dress, and I think Bob Odenkirk, who was very junior at that point, whispered to somebody something, and Lorne just went, “Odenkirk, you speak again, I’ll break your loving legs.” And it was like the first time I had seen him actually swinging into action and actually beating someone up. It really made me laugh.”

Bernie Brillstein posted:

My dad died in New York and the funeral service was ten-thirty in the morning. The last person I think that’s going to be there at ten-thirty in the morning is Lorne. But he was the first one. That’s Lorne. His depth of feeling, his depth of being hurt, is really tremendous. And so is his depth for enjoyment. He’s really the most unique guy with his loyalty. We’ve been together some thirty years, and he was romanced by the best of them. But he’s never left me.

Marilyn Suzanne Miller posted:

...mine was advanced breast cancer, which is to say I didn’t have metastatic breast cancer, but I did have a huge tumor with many nodes, so I had experimental chemo. I told my manager, “I don’t want to go back to L.A. I’m too scared.” So I was going to stay in New York and have this chemo and radiation. And I was just in shock. At that point I didn’t know if I was going to live or die. It was very aggressive cancer.
Lorne had of course been on the phone with me. Everybody from the original show called - the family thing again. Our ties are very emotional. Then one day Lorne called me up. He knew that I wanted to be in New York for the treatments and that I had left a job in L.A. And he said, “How’d you like to come back to the show?” And I thought, “Yeah. I’d love to!” So in the spring I went back. Back home - to Saturday Night Live.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overall those quotes make him seem like a good, but complicated guy. Probably with rear end in a top hat tendencies.

Anyone who gets that kind of power is inevitably going to be perceived as an rear end in a top hat by some.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The Replacements getting banned from the show and getting Harry Dean Stanton hammered is pretty good.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like Robinson being on SNL is proof that it doesn't actually 'elevate' the best talents - sure, it gets the incredibly funny people but then it waters their work down to moderate dreck.

For sure, I will almost always go to bat for the talent on SNL. They really have a lot of incredible comic performers who would all be much funnier on another sketch show.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FishBowlRobot posted:

Damon Wayans posted:

He never said anything but great things about me - even though he fired me.

Oh yeah I forgot Damon Wayans got fired from SNL lol

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Old SNL, op.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

The Replacements getting banned from the show and getting Harry Dean Stanton hammered is pretty good.

gently caress yeah it is

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Is Sarah Squirm or whatever still on it? She seemed to run with a slightly more interesting type of comedian, but gently caress, if SNL pays the bills, whatever.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

Is Sarah Squirm or whatever still on it? She seemed to run with a slightly more interesting type of comedian, but gently caress, if SNL pays the bills, whatever.

Yeah she's still there, she gets a few weird body horror skits a season and talks mad poo poo to Jost on Update a few times a season as well

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://twitter.com/HowardFreiberg/status/1069343959627886593

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Speaking of books, Jay Mohr's memoir about his 2 years on SNL was an interesting read. A lot of behind the scenes stuff but also he got into the mental health struggles he endured while on the show. For instance, he once had a panic attack during a live recording and literally sprinted out of the building and to his apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shyduck posted:

Speaking of books, Jay Mohr's memoir about his 2 years on SNL was an interesting read. A lot of behind the scenes stuff but also he got into the mental health struggles he endured while on the show. For instance, he once had a panic attack during a live recording and literally sprinted out of the building and to his apartment.

Did he talk about how much work is involved in putting a show together? I've always assumed it's a lot of work for all involved, but I don't know.