Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like Robinson being on SNL is proof that it doesn't actually 'elevate' the best talents - sure, it gets the incredibly funny people but then it waters their work down to moderate dreck.

Oh yeah it’s interesting to see that with other actors, like Mike Mitchell from the Doughboys podcast. On that show he’s hilarious & quick witted with tons of original material, but when he was on Twisted Metal he’s reduced to “fat guy is dumb” archetype with no chance to show off. I know it’s still a huge win for him to be on a major show but educational that TV is a poor medium for finding worthwhile content and gotta dig a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

redshirt posted:

Did he talk about how much work is involved in putting a show together? I've always assumed it's a lot of work for all involved, but I don't know.
It does a bit, and it gets into his struggles to get his material on the show as a writer and to get airtime as a featured player, where you're essentially coming off the bench. It seemed like a very cutthroat environment where everyone was on the same team but also weren't. Working long wacky hours, trying to write sketches in a few days that might not be culturally relevant beyond Saturday, and working the internal politics just to give your sketch a shot or to get cast, only to get shot down week after week pretty much wrecked him mentally. It was a hard place to be as a newcomer.

That said, he didn't really have bad things to say about the people he worked with and I think was on good terms with most of them, but the whole environment was a pressure cooker.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 18, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

Is Sarah Squirm or whatever still on it? She seemed to run with a slightly more interesting type of comedian, but gently caress, if SNL pays the bills, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wvhet4Yl-Y

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

having not watched SNL since I was a kid in the 90's , I'm surprised they just haven't gone all-in on content creators and tiktok stars and such

or, have they?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think they have a guy and the only thing he does is Trump impressions that they got from Tik Tok or Youtube or something.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think they have a guy and the only thing he does is Trump impressions that they got from Tik Tok or Youtube or something.

He got popular on the internet for his Trump impression, but he's been around as a bit-part comedic actor for a while

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Frank Caliendo would like to have a word with this person

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Huh. Didn't know Alec Baldwin got his start on YouTube.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 20, 2023

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like Robinson being on SNL is proof that it doesn't actually 'elevate' the best talents - sure, it gets the incredibly funny people but then it waters their work down to moderate dreck.

He even made a bit about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAN0OCagHzQ

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Wow! That's not very good!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Escape From Noise posted:

Huh. Didn't know Alec Baldwin got his start on YouTube.

I just remembered that unfortunate stretch where SNL kept having Jim Carrey play Joe Biden. It was rough.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

I just remembered that unfortunate stretch where SNL kept having Jim Carrey play Joe Biden. It was rough.

Oh God. When was this? I haven't lived in the US since 2017 and don't really watch SNL.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh God. When was this? I haven't lived in the US since 2017 and don't really watch SNL.

It was the 2020-2021 season. There wasn't really anything to it and it was just for the sake of having a guest celebrity on call to do the cold open.

They should have just brought in Jason Sudeikis. I always liked his Biden persona back when Biden was VP. He was just this overly friendly guy who was also an excited child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Gavok posted:

He was just this overly friendly guy who was also an excited child.

Many are saying this