Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Turn On would fit right in on Tiktok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

"In reruns, the "O'Callahan and Sons" sketch is replaced with the short film Vacation because Jay Mohr admitted plagiarizing "O'Callahan and Sons" from comedian Rick Shapiro."

Lazy AND unfunny

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
the bachelor/ette?

or america got talent, that poo poo is dire

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

super sweet best pal posted:

Turn On would fit right in on Tiktok.

Turn On was shitposting before shitposting.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jelly posted:

I don't even know how to watch it any more, they took it off Hulu a while ago which is the last streaming service I was aware had it.

I'm guessing now you have to watch it on the website in lovely quality with commercials?
NBC presumably stuck it on Peacock, the NBC streaming service no one uses.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Knormal posted:

NBC presumably stuck it on Peacock, the NBC streaming service no one uses.
Like everyone else, I cannot stop forgetting this exists. I thought Paramount+ was bad but it has at least five interesting things like the Star Trek franchise, Twin Peaks, Ninja Turtles, Detroiters and Review. What does Peacock have?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdDeWNvvTI

this is the only SNL thing I regularly think about whenever it comes up in weather news

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

Like everyone else, I cannot stop forgetting this exists. I thought Paramount+ was bad but it has at least five interesting things like the Star Trek franchise, Twin Peaks, Ninja Turtles, Detroiters and Review. What does Peacock have?

Premier League, if you're into that kinda thing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

This remains the greatest thing ever written about SNL (and perhaps TV in general):

https://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/47548/

And trust me, if you think SNL is bad now go look up some of the episodes from the 1980/81 season. Holy gently caress. It was after Lorne got canned/left the show so they hired Jean Doumanian as producer. She didn't even want to hire Eddie Murphy!!!! Charles Rocket straight up used the n-word uncensored during a sketch and was met with 10 seconds of total dead silence from the audience.

Bimmi posted:

Even in the glory days, the musical guests were the only good reason to watch SNL. If you wanted funny, you watched SCTV.

Rage Against the Machine was forcibly ejected from the premises after only doing one song because they hung an American flag upside down and the crew got all pissy about it. They were also booked as the musical guest on an episode hosted by Steve Forbes, which is probably the funniest SNL bit of the last 25 years.

Elvis Costello pulled a great move too when he suddenly stopped playing the song his label forced him to play and ripped into "Radio, Radio". He got banned for awhile for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD_24nDzkeo

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 17, 2023

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

haljordan posted:

This remains the greatest thing ever written about SNL (and perhaps TV in general):

And trust me, if you think SNL is bad now go look up some of the episodes from the 1980/81 season. Holy gently caress. It was after Lorne got canned/left the show so they hired Jean Doumanian as producer. She didn't even want to hire Eddie Murphy!!!! Charles Rocket straight up used the n-word uncensored during a sketch and was met with 10 seconds of total dead silence from the audience.

Rage Against the Machine was forcibly ejected from the premises after only doing one song because they hung an American flag upside down and the crew got all pissy about it. They were also booked as the musical guest on an episode hosted by Steve Forbes, which is probably the funniest SNL bit of the last 25 years.

Elvis Costello pulled a great move too when he suddenly stopped playing the song his label forced him to play and ripped into "Radio, Radio". He got banned for awhile for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD_24nDzkeo

It's hosed up what they did to Janeane Garofalo

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

haljordan posted:

Paywalled, but I want to read it

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jelly posted:

Oh it just loads normally for me, that's weird.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

oh dope posted:

"In reruns, the "O'Callahan and Sons" sketch is replaced with the short film Vacation because Jay Mohr admitted plagiarizing "O'Callahan and Sons" from comedian Rick Shapiro."

Lazy AND unfunny

Jay Mohr is weird but he cracks me up doing his Tracy Morgan impression.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jelly posted:

add a . after the com

https://nymag.com./arts/tv/features/47548/

works a surprising number of places

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

It's such a brutal piece but only because the guy who wrote it had total access to everyone at SNL and just wrote down what they said, word for word. poo poo like this:

quote:

“Someday, Chris,” Downey continues, still in his deadpan mode, “your son will be in a library with a friend, and he’ll pull down the Readers’ Guide to Periodical Literature. ‘Oh—January to March 1995. Hey, Dad’s in this one!’ ‘What’s it for? The ‘Fatty Arbuckle incident’—where he had that incident with the girl, and he was tried?’ ‘No, this is the one where he farts!’”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Kids in the Hall remains the GOAT sketch comedy show.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

this is the funniest thing ive ever seen but i guess not on purpose

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

pencilhands posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

this is the funniest thing ive ever seen but i guess not on purpose

Yeah this is cringe to the one billionth power. Either that or Alec Baldwin holding up a "YOU'RE WELCOME" sign at the end of the season finale a few years ago....I guess we should be thanking him for his terrible terrible Trump impression and taking a spot away from someone who actually deserved a shot?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

haljordan posted:

reading this and being like "oh, 95? When they still had Sandler and Farley around? Dude you have no idea how far you have to fall."

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

TIP posted:

add a . after the com

https://nymag.com./arts/tv/features/47548/

works a surprising number of places

whoah cool, thanks for the pro tip

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

haljordan posted:

Yeah this is cringe to the one billionth power. Either that or Alec Baldwin holding up a "YOU'RE WELCOME" sign at the end of the season finale a few years ago....I guess we should be thanking him for his terrible terrible Trump impression and taking a spot away from someone who actually deserved a shot?
are we still doing phrasing?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jelly posted:

are we still doing phrasing?

Hiyoooo!!!

Also I like how the armorer on that movie was apparently hungover and had coke/meth on her lmao

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

haljordan posted:

This is pretty wild stuff. I feel bad for Garofolo.

I’ve been a longtime fan of Conan O’Brien’s podcast and he’s always saying such nice things about SNL. He recalls it with such tinted lenses that you kinda have to remind yourself it was a fratty, sexist, nasty place catering to the lowest common denominator.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jelly posted:

Paramount+ also has Beavis & Butthead reboot, by far best animated thing going at the moment. Tom Anderson war stories are amazing.

Vegetable posted:

This is pretty wild stuff. I feel bad for Garofolo.

I’ve been a longtime fan of Conan O’Brien’s podcast and he’s always saying such nice things about SNL. He recalls it with such tinted lenses that you kinda have to remind yourself it was a fratty, sexist, nasty place catering to the lowest common denominator.

His podcast is so good, definitely has no need to do it but part of the compulsive performance thing. His riffing with Mulaney is amazing.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 17, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Steve Martin dressing up like an Egyptian and dancing around was apparently a monumental moment in comedy history, pop culture is fuckin' bizarre.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 17, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Paramount+ also has Beavis & Butthead reboot, by far best animated thing going at the moment. Tom Anderson war stories are amazing.
Thank you for this! I am learning a ton of poo poo from this thread today.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Who is the single biggest star to ever come out of SNL? Gotta be Eddie Murphy, right?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

Who is the single biggest star to ever come out of SNL? Gotta be Eddie Murphy, right?

Bill Murray.

Murphy was a huge star, but he fell pretty hard and never recovered.

Murray's been trucking along since the 70's as a star.

Will Ferrell has to be in the top five.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

haljordan posted:

technically it’s Robert Downey Jr. who did one (bad) season

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Murphy was the first (and probably only) cast member to host the show while still a cast member, I guess that's why he goes to the top of my list.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

redshirt posted:

Bill Murray.

Murphy was a huge star, but he fell pretty hard and never recovered.

Murray's been trucking along since the 70's as a star.

Will Ferrell has to be in the top five.

Sandler is top 5 as well.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Apparently Eddie Murphy was fuckin' FURIOUS over this joke from David Spade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdRfl0W6qbM&t=160s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm2cnYDcwkE

Jelly posted:

Sandler is definitely way up there, that guy has the rarest form of power in Hollywood: He can actually make careers.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i saw taylor swift on snl, she became a pretty big star, maybe even bigger than adam sandler

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Pimpcasso posted:

this poo poo is like that netflix spaceforce show

criminally unfunny

Dude, what even was that. If a whistleblower were to come out tomorrow and say that show was entirely written by what would go on to be called GPT-3, I wouldn't be suspicious because I thought it was implausible; I'd be suspicious because I'd think it was one of their competitors trying to run ChatGPT out of business.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

Yeah, for sure.

I'm trying to think of another top 5. Mike Meyers? Martin Short? Billy Crystal?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

steve martin

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

haljordan posted:

Steve Martin dressing up like an Egyptian and dancing around was apparently a monumental moment in comedy history, pop culture is fuckin' bizarre.

I almost made a separate thread for this, but somebody please explain Steve Martin to me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

steve martin

Only a guest, never a cast member, I think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I almost made a separate thread for this, but somebody please explain Steve Martin to me.

He can really play the banjo! And juggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

redshirt posted:

Yeah, for sure.

I'm trying to think of another top 5. Mike Meyers? Martin Short? Billy Crystal?

Also Bill Hader, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler. They're still prime.