Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

SNL was never good

Even its so-called “golden age” in the 70s had maybe 1 good sketch per episode buried under a pile of cringe.

Brace yourself for such knee-slapping sketches like “Chevy Chase Falls Down”, “People Say The Word “Cheeseburger Really Fast”, as well as “John Belushi Mocks The Japanese.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TIP posted:

my mom brought up the cheeseburger sketch the other day and I said I never understood what was funny about it and she thought for a minute and finally said, "well, he says cheeseburger a lot" and then she shrugged

lmao

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It was a different time. Being a sweaty gross guy was still a novelty.

also it was network tv, before cable. It killed in the Nielsens because there was literally nothing else playing on other channels during its timeslot.

It’s easy to come out on top when your only competition is a holding pattern.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I don’t think his mom is dumb. It’s just that standards for comedy have changed a lot as future generations became more media-savvy.

And like I said before, there was also literally nothing else to watch if you were a young boomer staying up late on a Saturday night

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

SNL makes me view America as a depressing shithole more than your work culture, car worship, health care system and politics. The world looks at a country with SNL and thinks "thank god that's not me"

As an American… yeah, no argument there.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

heyyyyyyyyyyyy it’s the dudemeister, makin copies, eyyyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The funniest thing about Steve Martin is that he’s such a socially-awkward introvert off-camera that it’s been said “to be alone in a room with Steve Martin is to be in an empty room.”

I’ll also go to the mat for Only Murders in the Building, it’s been a very fun mystery comedy series.

It’s also the only boomer-detective-show I’ve seen where all the jokes are at the expense of boomers