Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Okay so what terror attack was Pete's dad killed in? 9-11 or something? Wait was his dad like a firefighter responding

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Where's this "Pete Davidson's dad was at work on 9/11 because he owed his 7 year old son $1500 on a loan" thing coming from

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Triikan posted:

Saturday Night Live has always been terrible. It is a couple good skits that are ok per week. A couple great skits per season. This has always been the case. Everybody who says SNL used to be good is remembering those great skits from each era and forgetting all the terrible ones that surrounded them. Yes, even Farley had mostly forgettable skits. Chris Rock too. Akroyd? Most definitely.

Chris Rock was barely even in anything

most of the consistently good poo poo was always Update

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah he definitely has the talent wonder if it was because he didn’t have a big breakthrough silly 90s comedy like Sandler or Carrey. His podcast Dudesy is hilarious & showcases his masterful impressions, in segments such as “Stone Cold Steve Austin Reads Will Sasso’s High School Diary.”

It’s fun when he rambles as a character about how NWO split into the Wolfpac & black & white to annoy his non-wrestling fan cohost but then realize he’s making sense & has encyclopedic knowledge about the sport.

Sasso and Koechner always reminded me of each other

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Les Os posted:

When Lorne croaks y’all think the show goes with him? Who would they get to replace him, Dennis Miller? That’s like Attila the Hun replacing Napoleon at the Battle of Algiers

I'm pretty sure Keenan is supposed to take over when Lorne croaks, unless that changed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

great big cardboard tube posted:

I thought the Rick and Morty guy got outed as a horrible sex pest? Are they just posting through it? I never watched but I assumed they canceled it when that news broke

They fired and replaced him

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

And the woman producing SNL in 1980 had to basically be forced to take Eddie, she wanted Robert Townsend instead

lmao yeah good luck with meteor man

haljordan posted:

I wonder how much it costs to produce a typical SNL episode, apparently the pay for both performers and writers is notoriously lovely so I wonder if that's a factor in its longevity (plus what the hell else would NBC run at 11:30pm on a Saturday)

it cruises because it's probably better/more consistent pay than what they would be getting otherwise

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

Yeah true it's a guaranteed paycheck that won't bounce, which a million comedians currently working lovely clubs would brutally kill each other for

I mean, Robinson got elevated from writer to player, knew he wasn't working as a player, so he went back to the writer's room before he left. Guaranteed paychecks are nice.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haljordan posted:

My thinking was more that the execs kind of just renew the show out of habit because it's not a huge hit to the bottom line even when the ratings are real bad

That's probably part of it too as far as bottom-line, but it's totally a make-work program for some legitimately talented people who'd be eating poo poo otherwise as well.

Not all of them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Aaron Sorkin is one of the worst writers to ever get famous

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

N. Senada posted:

I was shocked to find out he wrote for SNL because his Netflix stuff was so good

You're shocked that someone who had to constantly write sketch comedy for a weekly live show was good at it when he and his friends got a budget and a yearly schedule?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Robinson would have never gotten paid regularly for years to work on his poo poo or gotten a development deal with Samberg's company if he didn't work on SNL

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

Is Sarah Squirm or whatever still on it? She seemed to run with a slightly more interesting type of comedian, but gently caress, if SNL pays the bills, whatever.

Yeah she's still there, she gets a few weird body horror skits a season and talks mad poo poo to Jost on Update a few times a season as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think they have a guy and the only thing he does is Trump impressions that they got from Tik Tok or Youtube or something.

He got popular on the internet for his Trump impression, but he's been around as a bit-part comedic actor for a while