Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Today's SNL still hasn't aired here, so someone else will have to tell me if it's better or worse than "Turn On" a show that was cancelled during its first commercial break on its first episode in 1969: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Turn-On_Episode_1.webm

Apparently networks were flooded with calls from church lady types who were incredibly offended by the show, and some network executive in Cleveland found it so unpalatable that he immediately pulled the show and went to the test pattern during the first commercial break. He then proceeded to call networks in timezones further west and persuaded them not to air it either.

Even today the show is… interesting in an avant-garde way, but I can't see people back then, or even now, sitting down to watch this every week. You needed some very thin skin to find this offensive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

hey remember when aaron sorkin did a show about a fictionalized version of snl, and made it about how serious and important this sketch comedy show was

No, and I'd like to keep it that way.