Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Speaking of books, Jay Mohr's memoir about his 2 years on SNL was an interesting read. A lot of behind the scenes stuff but also he got into the mental health struggles he endured while on the show. For instance, he once had a panic attack during a live recording and literally sprinted out of the building and to his apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

redshirt posted:

Did he talk about how much work is involved in putting a show together? I've always assumed it's a lot of work for all involved, but I don't know.
It does a bit, and it gets into his struggles to get his material on the show as a writer and to get airtime as a featured player, where you're essentially coming off the bench. It seemed like a very cutthroat environment where everyone was on the same team but also weren't. Working long wacky hours, trying to write sketches in a few days that might not be culturally relevant beyond Saturday, and working the internal politics just to give your sketch a shot or to get cast, only to get shot down week after week pretty much wrecked him mentally. It was a hard place to be as a newcomer.

That said, he didn't really have bad things to say about the people he worked with and I think was on good terms with most of them, but the whole environment was a pressure cooker.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 18, 2023