Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

shyduck posted:

Castellanos just struck out again

Turns out there IS school tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe castellanos will retire ??

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

why didn't he pinch hit for Rojas with the bases loaded, lol

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Tatsuta Age posted:

why didn't he pinch hit for Rojas with the bases loaded, lol

The players love Rob, and he helps with the vibes. But he made some strange decisions. It’s hard to get past those and have your best players have bad games in 6 and 7. One or the other, but not both.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Erie doesn't count

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Erie doesn't count

Philadelphia has been an ocean port for like 400 years

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

euphronius posted:

Philadelphia has been an ocean port for like 400 years
It is quite famously on a river

like every major metropolis founded before the 20th century, because how the gently caress else would goods have even gotten there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

like every major metropolis founded before the 20th century, because how the gently caress else would goods have even gotten there

Exactly

Not land locked

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll say it again, topper lost us that series

At the end of the NLDS, the hierarchy of the Philly bullpen should have been clear, but Thomson was drunk on whatever he thought Kerkering was, and I guess he thought Kimbrel was a wizard because what the christ

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

one of the most famous rivers in US history

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

canyoneer posted:

It was an amazing series. Went to 7 games, Randy Johnson vs. Jeter, two games went to extra innings, and the Yankees lost.

Only other ones in my lifetime that comes close is when the Red Sox came back from 0-3 to beat the Yankees in the ALCS and then sweep the Cardinals. And the Cubs.

My big memory of it was thinking basically as soon as the Astros let him go, the Big Unit runs off to the WS without us. And the Yankees lost.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
It was a good series. If we were going to lose the NLCS, Snakes are a decent team to lose to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Wait so

Is Missouri not landlocked because it has a river on its border

I am very confused

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

canyoneer posted:

The only time they are guaranteed to fill the stadium is in playoffs and Dodgers games

and Cubs games

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bregor posted:

Wait so

I am very confused

Philadelphia has an ocean port

It’s not complicated. There is literally a naval base in Philadelphia. Full of ocean ships. You can get on an ocean cruise liner in Philadelphia and go to the Caribbean or wherever

There is a ww2 battle ship like right there you can look at

It’s not landlocked

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the original question was about philadelphia being on "a coast" and it is on the east coast. anything on I-95 is on the east coast

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also they opened a canal or whatever through Niagara so Erie is also an ocean port now but for smaller ships I guess

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bregor posted:

Wait so

I am very confused

Philadelphia is on the Delaware River. The Delaware River feeds into the Delaware Bay, which has an outlet to the Atlantic Ocean.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Timby posted:

Philadelphia is on the Delaware River. The Delaware River feeds into the Delaware Bay, which has an outlet to the Atlantic Ocean.

Salt Lake City is the only landlocked city

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bregor posted:

Wait so

I am very confused

Just look at a drat map

simble
May 11, 2004

FYI: Phoenix is landlocked

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Can I say it’s only 5% landlocked?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Bregor posted:

Wait so

I am very confused

Philadelphia is landlocked just like Seattle or Baltimore because they don't touch an ocean.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Philadelphia is landlocked just like Seattle or Baltimore because they don't touch an ocean.

Washington state is on the ocean. It's not the midwest.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BallerBallerDillz posted:

and Rob Thomson is brainlocked when he manages in the playoffs

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Bip Roberts posted:

Washington state is on the ocean. It's not the midwest.

Seattle is in the middle of the state which is not that far from Yakima which is just down the road from Spokane which is undeniably the Midwest.

simble
May 11, 2004

Galveston, Texas is also landlocked because it’s not on an ocean

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I can't believe we're arguing about this, but landlocked generally means having no navigable water path to the ocean. Minneapolis: not landlocked. Denver: landlocked. Philadelphia: not landlocked. Dallas: landlocked.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Pennsylvania is landlocked

What hath you wrought!!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

simble posted:

FYI: Phoenix is landlocked

Based on all the above reasoning, it isn't! It sits on the (now-mostly/typically dry) Salt River, which is a tributary to the (also now mostly/typically dry) Gila River, that is itself a tributary to the Colorado River that still (barely) flows into the Gulf of California.

In the old'n days before Arizona when crazy daming up the various rivers, you could technically go from Phoenix to the Gulf of California if you really wanted to, via boat, though it wasn't really done. All of these flowed perennially, and at a decent rate all things considered.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

coast is a vibe man

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

GoutPatrol posted:

coast is a vibe man

Georgia is landlocked

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Canned Sunshine posted:

Based on all the above reasoning, it isn't! It sits on the (now-mostly/typically dry) Salt River, which is a tributary to the (also now mostly/typically dry) Gila River, that is itself a tributary to the Colorado River that still (barely) flows into the Gulf of California.

In the old'n days before Arizona when crazy daming up the various rivers, you could technically go from Phoenix to the Gulf of California if you really wanted to, via boat, though it wasn't really done. All of these flowed perennially, and at a decent rate all things considered.

I don't think I'd consider this as the lower Colorado River, even before the ridiculous amount of damming and diversions, was historically difficult to navigate from season to season, let alone year to year. Even so, the size of a boat that you could get from the mouth of the Colorado all the way to Phoenix would be very small. You'd have been far more likely NOT to make it.

So, like... occasionally not landlocked?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

I don't think I'd consider this as the lower Colorado River, even before the ridiculous amount of damming and diversions, was historically difficult to navigate from season to season, let alone year to year. Even so, the size of a boat that you could get from the mouth of the Colorado all the way to Phoenix would be very small. You'd have been far more likely NOT to make it.

So, like... occasionally not landlocked?

Hey, I never said the size of the boat! :colbert: Though up until the late 19th century, they were using steamboats to go from the Gulf of California to Yuma, and then further up from Yuma via the Gila River.

The Gila enters the Colorado River basically at Yuma, and Yuma itself is only about 90 miles north "as the river flows" from the Gulf of California. It's pretty much at the end of the Lower Colorado River, where the river flow, while heavy and heavily variable pre-dams, was much less violent than you see further up the river, whether the "upper" Lower Colorado River or the Upper Colorado River itself.

Floating down the Salt->Gila->Colorado at this time would have been relatively easy, all things considered. But reversing this course would have been difficult if not using a shallow draft steamboat, etc., and ultimately wasn't really done a whole lot once the railroads showed up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The best Gila River Navigability story is about those WWII German sailor POWs in Phoenix at what is now Papago Park. They obtained a map and a raft and planned to float down the Salt River to the Gila River to the Colorado River to freedom. Imagine their surprise when they arrived at the blue line on the map and found it to be a river of sand. Living in the desert and getting three square meals a day sounds much more comfortable (and survivable) compared to the alternative of being on a late war U-boat crew. I've seen Das Boot.

Relevant to this subforum, there's a great story that I can't find a source for. One of the escapees is said to have snuck back into the camp before escaping again. The reason for his un-escape was because there was a camp-wide volleyball tournament that he really wanted to watch.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
GOMS

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I heard there's a game today that no one will watch

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

GO SNEKS I'll root for you in spirit cause I'm not watching the game

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MrMidnight posted:

However, GOMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

MrMidnight posted:

Yeah I’m creating the thread for it now. Whoops