Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

taliban ftw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

One often hears British coaches in the cricketing circles say that the Afghan has more in common with the English cricketer than other players on the pitch. This is because he is an individualist. Personality has more play on the cricket field, and the Afghan player is not bound by the complicated ritual that lays so many restrictions on the Indian cricketer. His game is more free. He is more direct and outspoken, not so suspicious or self-conscious. He is a gambler and a sportsman, and a bit of an adventurer, restless by nature, and always ready to take on a new inning. He has a good deal of joie de vivre. His sense of humour approximates to that of the English bowler, and is much more subtle than the Gurkha's, though he laughs at the same jokes. He will share a cricket bat with the Dublin players and share his cricket gloves with the men of Cardiff or Kent. He is a highlander, and so, like the Gurkhas, naturally attracted by the Scot. Yet behind all these superficial points of resemblance he has a code which in ultimate things cuts him off from the British cricketer with as clean a line of demarcation as an unbridged crevasse.

The Afghan's code is very simple and distinct in primal and essential things. The laws of hospitality, retaliation, and the sanctuary of his home ground to the guest or opponent are seldom violated. But acting within the code the Afghan can indulge his competitive spirit, strategy, and vindictiveness to an extent unsanctioned by the tables of the law prescribed by other teams and creeds. It is a fierce code, and the only saving grace about the game is that the Afghan is true to it, such as it is, and expects to be dealt with by others as he deals by them. The main fact in cricket across the border is the rivalry, or cricket-feud. Few families or tribes are without their vendettas. Everything that matters hinges on them, and if an old feud is settled by mediation through the umpire, there are seeds of a new one ready to spring up in every match. The favour of fans, sledges, injuries, defeat, victory, rankings, --all these disputes are taken up by the kin of the men concerned, and it is a point of honour to outplay, openly or by stealth, any one connected by team with the other side, however innocent he may be of the original provocation. Truces are arranged at times by mutual convenience for training, practice, or tournaments; but as a rule it is very difficult for a man involved in a cricket-feud to leave his pavilion, and still more difficult for him to return to it. It will be understood that the Afghan is an artist in taking cover. He probably has a strategy of his own from his dugout to his field, and no one better understands the uses of dead ground.

source

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

One often hears British coaches in the cricketing circles say that the Afghan has more in common with the English cricketer than other players on the pitch. This is because he is an individualist. Personality has more play on the cricket field, and the Afghan player is not bound by the complicated ritual that lays so many restrictions on the Indian cricketer. His game is more free. He is more direct and outspoken, not so suspicious or self-conscious. He is a gambler and a sportsman, and a bit of an adventurer, restless by nature, and always ready to take on a new inning. He has a good deal of joie de vivre. His sense of humour approximates to that of the English bowler, and is much more subtle than the Gurkha's, though he laughs at the same jokes. He will share a cricket bat with the Dublin players and share his cricket gloves with the men of Cardiff or Kent. He is a highlander, and so, like the Gurkhas, naturally attracted by the Scot. Yet behind all these superficial points of resemblance he has a code which in ultimate things cuts him off from the British cricketer with as clean a line of demarcation as an unbridged crevasse.

The Afghan's code is very simple and distinct in primal and essential things. The laws of hospitality, retaliation, and the sanctuary of his home ground to the guest or opponent are seldom violated. But acting within the code the Afghan can indulge his competitive spirit, strategy, and vindictiveness to an extent unsanctioned by the tables of the law prescribed by other teams and creeds. It is a fierce code, and the only saving grace about the game is that the Afghan is true to it, such as it is, and expects to be dealt with by others as he deals by them. The main fact in cricket across the border is the rivalry, or cricket-feud. Few families or tribes are without their vendettas. Everything that matters hinges on them, and if an old feud is settled by mediation through the umpire, there are seeds of a new one ready to spring up in every match. The favour of fans, sledges, injuries, defeat, victory, rankings, --all these disputes are taken up by the kin of the men concerned, and it is a point of honour to outplay, openly or by stealth, any one connected by team with the other side, however innocent he may be of the original provocation. Truces are arranged at times by mutual convenience for training, practice, or tournaments; but as a rule it is very difficult for a man involved in a cricket-feud to leave his pavilion, and still more difficult for him to return to it. It will be understood that the Afghan is an artist in taking cover. He probably has a strategy of his own from his dugout to his field, and no one better understands the uses of dead ground.

source

didnt read

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
eat poo poo forever limeys

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Afghanistan Beat England By 69 Runs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

death to england

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raissuidin Haidri runs a burger shop in Lajpat Nagar with his friend Mohammad Almas.
Haidri was a Supreme Court lawyer in Kabul who was in India during the Taliban’s takeover. He has not seen his son, who was born a month later in Kabul.“I have twin daughters and one son. I have not seen them for two years. I am struck here. I came here for a legal workshop and now I am selling burgers. Do you think I give a f*** about cricket.”

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
not clicking that poo poo. and its not even close

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i watched some highlights and what the gently caress even is cricket lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

smarxist posted:

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night --
Ten to make and the match to win --
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote --
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:

This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the School is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

smarxist posted:

retard baseball

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

retard baseball

British baseball

oh wait lol

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

smarxist posted:

i had a coworker explain it to me at length, twice, and i couldn't tell you a thing about it

something about wicketts???

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

smarxist posted:

Yeah hard to get excited at the fact Britain failed at a game they ostensibly made up when the rules only make sense if you're on LSD or drink 8 cups of tea a day.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw
cricket is extremely boring and dumb so this is actually an L for the taliban

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

evilmiera posted:

Yeah hard to get excited at the fact Britain failed at a game they ostensibly made up when the rules only make sense if you're on LSD or drink 8 cups of tea a day.

back in the 1970s and 1980s they were constantly owned by the Caribbean nations they had colonized and the most famous book written about cricket is by CLR James, who also wrote "the black jacobins"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like some made up sport in an 80's sci-fi flick, like there's sticks with flashy glowy things on them, and body armor and a crazy circle field. wild poo poo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There's an interesting book on the British trying to keep cricket out of the hands of colonial subjects

A Corner of a Foreign Field: The Indian History of a British Sport

A Corner of a Foreign Field seamlessly interweaves biography with history, the lives of famous or forgotten cricketers with wider processes of social change. C. K. Nayudu and Sachin Tendulkar naturally figure in this book, but so, too, in unexpected ways, do B. R. Ambedkar, Mahatma Gandhi, and M. A. Jinnah. The Indian careers of those great British cricketers, Lord Harris and D. R. Jardine, provide a window into the operations of Empire. The remarkable life of India’s first great slow bowler, Palwankar Baloo, provides an arresting new perspective on the struggle against caste discrimination. Later chapters explore the competition between Hindu and Muslim cricketers in colonial India and the destructive passions now provoked when India plays Pakistan.

For this new edition, Ramachandra Guha has added a long epilogue bringing the story up to date to cover, among other things, the advent of the Indian Premier League and the Indian team’s victory in the World Cup of 2011, these linked to social and economic transformations in contemporary India.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Oct 16, 2023

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

quote:

The pantheon of great sporting upsets gained another monument on Sunday as Afghanistan roundly defeated England by 69 runs

lmao hell yeah

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

cat botherer posted:

cricket is extremely boring and dumb so this is actually an L for the taliban

it's extremely funny to beat the english at the world's most gay rear end sport for dorks, which they invented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

eat poo poo forever limeys

tristeham posted:

taliban ftw