Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fire Emblem Awakening was a game developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo back in 2012.

Well known as essentially what would be concidered the start of "Modern" Fire Emblem, the game basically saved the series from a downward spiral and brought it up to a higher tier of Nintendo series.

So I'm going to be making a somewhat casual LP of this game. But to keep things interesting I'm going to be playing through with a special gimmick. Namely, I will be playing a "Female only run"

This run will have the following rules

Every unit I can choose to bring to a fight must be female
I can use Chrom, because he's force deployed and it would be very irritating to keep him on the backline any fight
If a fight force delopys a male character I will pair them up and shove them into the backline.
Of course I'll still be recruiting every character, but any men go onto the bench once they're done serving as a backpack for the round.

So this sort or "Female Only" run is generally concidered a self imposed challenge run in the FE community. Mostly because this often makes the game harder. Why? Because Fire Emblem games tend to, in some subtle ways sometimes, make using female units harder. Or, at least, using exclusively female units. Now, Awakening is actually a fair bit better on this end.

First off, the balance is fairly equal. Of the forty-three units in this game you get through the main story outside of post-game and DLC, 21 of them are female. Almost a 50/50 split. Much more balanced than past games. In addition since Awakening doesn't have weapon weight or CON female units can't get arbitarily screwed over.

However, there is one rough element. Gender locked classes. The Fighter, Barbarian, Villager and DLC Dread Knight class are male exclusive. While the Pegasus Knight Troubadour and the DLC class Bride (:psyduck: seriously) are female exclusive. The biggest annoyance is that until I can get somebody as a Wyvern Knight I do not have any axes. Which will be a pain. Also female charaxters are still mostly biased towards either the support or frailer classes. Tanking hits will be a problem.

"But wait Dr. Pepper!" You may be asking. "Awakening has an entire second generation of units. How are you going to recruit all of the kids if all men are shoved onto the bench?" Exellent question!

Now I could just shove men into my women warrior's backpacks until they win her over and become househusabnds, that would be limiting. It would limit options for pair up, and the resulting kids would be weak. No, I have a much more entertaining option.

Modding the game.

The Unoffical Gay Awakening mod adds in same sex marriage and S rank supports. So I will be using this and having an army of lesbians roam across Ylissie, fighting evil.

Oh, and Chrom I guess as the token straight friend.

Table of Contents
Part 1: "Chrom must be kept as far away from human contact as possible."
Part 2: "Yes Robin, you've gotten stronger."
Part 3: Are you sure you're not a girl Fredrick?
Part 4: Wait no Robin. Stop!

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Reserved

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Part 1: "Chrom must be kept as far away from human contact as possible."

So right away to start we'll be playing on Hard Mode, because I don't want to play Lunatic when I can't use Fredrick

And on Classic Mode, just to give it a little bit of a bite

Naturally, being female only, we will be playing with Female Robin.

I choose Magic Asset because Magic Robin can make things go Boom, with a Luck Flaw because Luck is basically the least important stat. And honestly considering Robin's life why should she be lucky?

Once you start the game what I assume fights in the game are actually like in-universe happens. Like, I'm pretty sure people don't nicely and neatly take turns. It's an abstraction.

Oh hey and we're at the end of the game. LP over. :toot:

Just kidding this is the tutorial with a flash forward gimmick. Good start honestly.

One nice thing about Awakening's tutorial is that if you play it on a harder difficulty the game will show you that a tutorial is there if you're a new player that wanted to try out Hard, but it doesn't pop up because it assumes you know what you're doing by now.

And yeah, this guy looks scary but he doesn't even attack on enemy phase.

It really is just showing you how to move and attack. Dealing with enemy's attacking you comes later

And so Dame Robin cuts the bad guy in half, saving the day.

And then Dame Robin stabs Prince Chrom, ruining the day. For him at least.

Robin wakes up in the middle of nowhere to Chrom's dreamy eyes.

She does not remember stabbing him.

But before this suspicious lack of memory can be interrogated we've got Early Game Bandits! Time to actually play the game.

The first of many Rout maps. Awakening is nothing but Rout and Kill Boss maps. Get used to it.

First let's take a look at the 3 units we will actually be using, starting with the One Guy and the supposed protagonist of the game.

Chrom

Class: Lord
Reclass Options: Calvalier, Archer

Growth Rates
HP : 45 (+40)
STR: 40 (+20)
MAG: 10 (+00)
SKL: 40 (+20)
SPD: 40 (+20)
LUK: 70 (+00)
DEF: 35 (+10)
RES: 20 (+05)

Now, here are Chroms base growths, with the growths in parentheses being based off what class he's in currently. So Lord gives all those boosts to add up to a fairly strong set of growths. Notably an 60% Strength Growth and a 85% HP growth.

Chrom will basically nearly always be strong, and fast, with decent defenses. Especially with that high HP Growth. As he is force deployed on every stage he'd better be at least workable. He has two weapons only he can use. The Falchion which is effective against dragon units (doing triple damage) and has unlimited durability. And the Rapier, also effective but against Mounted and Armored Units.

Lord's Dual Strike+ would be handy, theoretically, but we're not going to get to use it for a bit.

Overall Chrom is good because he has to be. We have to use him so we might as well get something out of it.

Robin
Class: Tactician
Reclass Options: All of them but the genderlocked classes

Growth Rates

HP : 40(+40)
STR: 35(+15)
MAG: 45(+15)
SKL: 35(+15)
SPD: 40(+15)
LUK: 45(+00)
DEF: 30(+10)
RES: 25(+10)

So, Robin, the Avatar, and the other protagonist of the game. She's technically not force deployed but why wouldn't you? So these growths are with the Asset and Flaw. Man Tactician really is meant to be a jack of all trades class, that's some very narrow and wide spread growth bonuses.

But yeah, Robin is great. Magic and Swords by default is handy, and the ability to be near every class in the game is absurdly powerful. Notice how her growths are at least 50% STR, MAG, SKL and SPD. She's also moderately tanky, if not a pure defense focused unit. But she can take a hit. It should be noted that the way Assets work for growths is that it adds 15% to the main stat you picked, 5% for a secondary stat. Flaws subtract 10% to primary and for secondary For MAG it's magic and SPD, and for picking LUK is Luck and STR and MAG. But I feel it's worth it overall.

Veteran is absurd. You want to be paired up and this just means Robin will level absurdly fast, getting more kills and snowball. I'm going to be trying to hold her back, but these early maps can make that difficult.

Lissa
Class: Cleric
Reclass Options: Pegasus Knight, Mage

Growth Rates

HP : 35(+35)
STR: 25(+05)
MAG: 35(+15)
SKL: 30(+15)
SPD: 35(+15)
LUK: 65(+00)
DEF: 15(+05)
RES: 35(+10)

Lissa is a healer. She makes the green number that keeps other people alive. In terms of number she's slightly worse than Chrom, and is held back by Cleric's worse growth bonuses. But she's invaluable for keeping alive. Just keep her behind the frontline and you'll be good, and class change her to a second tier with offense ASAP.

Miracle is... a joke. At this point in time we have an 8% chance of her not dying when she should. So I don't think I'll run those odds.

With the characters I'm using out of the way Fredrick does his best to help by becoming Robin's backback for this chapter. He will be spending the three chapters he's forced deployed in this position, mostly. He might become Sully's backpack. We'll see.

I move Robin up snipe the Mercenary from behind the stall.

This is Hard mode, so I'm not quite one rounding enemies yet.

Unless of course, Fredrick decides to put his limited screentime to good use.

Lissa moved out of the range of every enemy.

And Chrom moves over here to bait over one Barbarian

One Barbarian moves over to Robin and misses her on a 67%. Just sad.

The other Barbarian does the same to Chrom. Good first turn, getting in some extra damage.

Come player Phase Chrom moves up and finishes his Bandit off.

Now, Robin can't explode her Bandit with magic yet, but she can finish it off with a sword thanks to the boost from her backpack and Weapon Triangle* advantage.

Which is enough for the first Level Up of the LP!

Which is, well, it's an odd level up. The defense is nice and more magic is good. But that 55% speed growth didn't proc.

Come enemy phase Robin does take a hit. Luckily this guy has a Wind tome and Robin's RES is decent.

Robin softens up the Mage

For Chrom to finish off.

Now, experienced players may have seen that I possibly made a mistake here. Now try and guess what it is?

It's that I had put Chrom next to Robin for that kill. You see, characters paired up or next to each other gain Support Points when doing any sort of action that causes a combat animation to play. So fights, staff using, dancing, etc. So what's the problem?

Well, remember, in Chapter 11 Chrom will automatically get married. By default he will pick the female unit he has the highest support rank with. So if I don't want Robin to marry Chrom (which I don't in this run) I can't let him get higher than the spouse I do want. Oh, and it gets wilder with this mod.

Remember, this is a mod that adds same sex partnerships to the game. So Chrom can marry men too. And a lot of men! Almost every playable unit gotten before Chapter 11 can Marry Chrom. He can Marry Fredrick, Stahl, he can even marry the freaking Vaike.

For the sake of my plans Chrom must be kept as far away from human contact as possible.

There is one exception to this rule. Lissa, being Chrom's sister, is the only person in this army he does not consider a future spouse.

The following turn I lure down the enemies by parking in the edge of their ranges. Cowardly? Maybe. But at least on early game it's needed to avoid being swarmed and killed

And then on player phase Chrom misses the Mercenary at 79% odds. Shameful. This is what happens when you aren't allowed to make friends because you fall in love with them at a drop of a hat Chrom, you get sub 100% Hit rates.

This of course messes up my plans for this turn, so Robin does the job Chrom could not.

In order to keep Lissa from getting hit I pair her up with Chrom, keeping her in the back behind her apparently blind older brother.

He takes a beating for his trouble

Robin than takes out that bothersome Merc

Which gets her this rather good level. If only it had speed I'd consider it perfect.

Lissa then switches to the front to take the hit from the mage that will inevitably try and kill Chrom.

Lol. Lmao.

Chrom finally finishes this mage off

And then Dang Chrom. Trying to show off huh?

All that's left is the boss. Which, ah, is not really that much of a threat at all. Garrick's pathetic.

Yeah his damage is just tiny, he would have to hit Chrom 3 times in a row while Chrom missed 3 80% hit rates to kill the prince.

Spoiler Alert, he isn't able to beat the odds.

Next time: We meet another female unit, a benchwarmer, and a secret third option!

*If you don't know what a Weapon Triangle why are you even interested in an challenge run LP of a 10 year old Fire Emblem game.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 19, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
It's the era of Sometimes Gay Modern FE challenge runs, huh? (Just playing Rev counts as a challenge run, I suppose)

I started a run similar to this myself, but I just kinda fell off of it in the early chapters. I really might have played so much Awakening I can only enjoy it through others playing it. The Sully was turning out crazy at least.

One thing to note about this run or an all guy run outside of Gay Awakening is that everyone has roughly 2 A-rank partners, so you're not devoid of pairing. It just means your pairings are very minor. Chrom only ever gets Fred or Gaius. Say'ri gets really lucky and has Tiki as an option. It's something!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, this LP is skipping over story bit. I guess in order to follow along, I'll need to already know the story from another LP or first-hand. Fair enough.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh, and Chrom I guess as the token straight friend.

Change generic villager to a male portrait imo. :colbert:

Or wait, I guess you could be going for Olivia instead. Depends on whether there's an even or odd number of first gen women, which I don't remember off hand.

Fake edit: Of course, having Robin marry one of the kids means you can make the pendulum swing whichever way you prefer. Or at least it would, if she hadn't already gained support points with Chrom. :v:

Real edit: Oh right, it can still work, as long as you marry Anna.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 16, 2023

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A discord server I hang out in sometimes rotated their quarterly challenge to female only Fire Emblems and now this LP. Truly, sword ladies rule the world. (I decided to play Shadows of Valentia myself and that's been a very...interesting...experience.) Looking forward to seeing how this LP shakes out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh, this LP is skipping over story bit. I guess in order to follow along, I'll need to already know the story from another LP or first-hand. Fair enough.

Good news my friend.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Fake edit: Of course, having Robin marry one of the kids means you can make the pendulum swing whichever way you prefer. Or at least it would, if she hadn't already gained support points with Chrom. :v:

Remember, I only care about half the 2nd gen units :v:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I hope Chrom marries no one in the army.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Part 2: "Yes Robin, you've gotten stronger."

With nothing to do on the world map it's time for the first chapter.

A lovely camping trip in which we munch on some bear.

Rudely interrupted by the army of the dead sent forth by Dragon Satan.

And then Marth gets lost on his way to Smash Bros

Time to stand on forts for a few turns.

Hard Mode FE Awakening, where the Early Game Enemies can still hit you even on a fort with Weapon Triangle Disadvantage, but don't do a ton of damage.

So does Chrom like, stick his sword into the ground to draw it dramatically. Anyways he hits and gets bonked, as the percentage predicted.

So with her Backpack Robin does slightly more damage with the Bronze Sword, and the nearby Risen are melee only so on it goes.

Lissa... stays out of range.

Next turn Chrom gets this level. Pretty decent.

Then at the end of the round...

:swoon:Sully!:swoon:

Oh, and this new Brenchwarmer

So my first playthrough of this game I actually did have Sully marry this goober.

:allears:

Sully

Class: Cavalier
Reclass Options: Myrmidon, Wyvern Rider

Growth Rates
HP : 40 (+45)
STR: 35 (+20)
MAG: 20 (+00)
SPD: 45 (+20)
LUK: 60 (+00)
DEF: 35 (+15)

So Sully is the first Cavalier we get, and the second horse unit. Like most longrunning video games Fire Emblem picked up its own tropes and recurring elements. And one such element is a pair of characters with red and green color scheme. They tend to be foils statistically and in terms of personality. Usually Cavaliers but not always. Sully is thus the "Red Cavalier." Compared to the other one in this game, Sully has higher Speed and Skill compared to the Green Guy. But of course it's not like Sully is lacking in power. Her STR growth is 55% in Cavalier, and 65% Speed growth is handy, and you always want speed.

She has high movement, good strength overall, and is plenty fast and accurate. I'm going to get a lot of use out of her.

Also, I'm going to reclass her to Wyvern Rider asap because she's the earliest and easiest axe user I can get my hands on. Because for some reason the early game axe classes are all genderlocked!

Discipline is arguably one of the best level 1 class skills. It doubles the weapon rank EXP you get. Which is insanely valuable because if you reclass to a class that gives you a new weapon you start at E rank, the lowest possible rank. The Weapon Rank Grind is the worst part of Awakening's Reclass System and anything to move you out of that as fast as possible is good.

Back to the fight, I pair Chrom up with Lissa, mostly to keep her out of the way and to give Chrom extra evade and hit.

I switch to the Thunder Tome because an archer is approaching, and I want to be able to counter.

And then she gets this level. Yes Robin, you've gotten stronger. And nothing else.

Sully moves just out of range of the axe wielders, since she only has a lance currently, and robs this goober of his elixir.

Come enemy phase and Fredrick's defense boost plus the fort means Robin can not be harmed by this archer, and he gets blasted back to whatever hellmouth he came from.

Robin had just leveled up and had 0 EXP. Veteran is perhaps one of the most broken skills in a game filled with them.

Yeah this is just silly. Thank goodness Fredrick is going to retire soon.

Chrom takes his beatings with only slightly less grace.

Tragically that Risen Mercenary didn't attack Sully, so she moved up to kill it again on player phase

General cleanup with Robina and Chrom follows

Now I may have slightly overestimated the Risen, but having them all swarm Sully with weapon triangle advantage would have made things dicey.

All that's left is the Risen Chief. Which does imply that they have some kind of culture and society. Anyways, the biggest threat is his bulk and the fact that he can attack at range and only Robin can counter.

So I lure him over with Sully and heal off the damage he did to her via fort.

Robin levels up via some chip damage, and this is a much more acceptable level

Giving Sully the kill she gives me this level, and after I hyped her up too. :sigh: Well, there's still time.

And that's another stage complete.

And now we have "Marth" showing up, and apparently he helped out off screen

Going to be honest Chrom, if Ylisse is anything like any culture in the real world "Marth" is probably like one of the most popular names for boys. Heck there are probably a million Caeda's and Ogmas too.

No Chris though. Nobody names their kid Chris.

And after dropping an unhelpful prophesy of doom Marth exits stage left

Next Time: Fredrick's Swan Song.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Dr Pepper posted:

So my first playthrough of this game I actually did have Sully marry this goober.

Hey, I did that too! Only because I thought it would be funny, but they make a weirdly nice couple.

Nice to see another gay hack playthrough. I briefly considered doing this for my own LP, so I'm glad someone's doing it if not me. Finally, Kjelle can get galeforce...

I wonder if any LP of this game will ever pick a male Robin.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Remember, this is a mod that adds same sex partnerships to the game. So Chrom can marry men too. And a lot of men! Almost every playable unit gotten before Chapter 11 can Marry Chrom. He can Marry Fredrick, Stahl, he can even marry the freaking Vaike.

It's morally wrong of Vaike to date his student

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 19, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's morally wrong of Vaike to date his student

He's got tenure, he's professionally obligated to make poor life choices.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
God who is the best husband for Chrom if you exclude MRob?

I'm going to be mulling this for like a week.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My first playthrough featured Chrom and Sully deciding to marry after one conversation

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Nihilarian posted:

My first playthrough featured Chrom and Sully deciding to marry after one conversation

This feels appropriate for Sully.

"Hey prettyboy wanna bang?"

"Uhhh, sure?"

"Baller."

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

This should be interesting to follow.

Dr Pepper posted:

Growth Rates
HP : 45 (+40)
STR: 40 (+20)
MAG: 10 (+00)
SPD: 40 (+20)
LUK: 70 (+00)
DEF: 35 (+10)

Now, here are Chroms base growths, with the growths in parentheses being based off what class he's in currently. So Lord gives all those boosts to add up to a fairly strong set of growths. Notably an 65% Strength Growth and a 85% HP growth.

Now I'm no math wizard, but I don't think 40+20 add up to 65. :hmmno:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Vaike sounds pretty neat. He makes Chrom stronger and bulkier, Chrom makes Vaike faster and more accurate, Lucina inherits Mercenary from Vaike thanks to gender exclusive classes being weird. But there's also Gaius, he and Chrom have one of my favourite supports. Which also gives Lucina access to Galeforce.................

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
I also picked Ruffles as Sully's husband in my first playthrough, mostly cause their banter is hilarious and because Virion ends up as house husband in a household of warrior women.

One problem I always have when replaying Awakening is not immediately getting Chrom and Robin married. One of my favorite support chains and Lucina and Morgan are great as siblings. Also with both parents unique skills and access to all non-genderlocked classes, its very easy to make the royal kids busted as hell. (Veteran for levels + Ignis + Chrom's skill for procing skills + Aether + Galeforce is one of the nastiest combos I've found in this game.)

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, so, the options are... Frederick, Virion, Stahl, Vaike, Kellam, Lon'qu, Gaius, Gregor, and Libra. I'm pretty sure the mod specifically excludes Donnel and Ricken for age gap reasons. Let's put aside how good their supports are for now and consider mechanically, based on Lucina's personal growth rates and new class inheritance.

Frederick: Knight, Wyvern Rider. HP 50% | Str 38% | Mag 13% | Skl 41% | Spd 40% | Lck 63% | Def 33% | Res 21%

Virion: Wyvern Rider, Mage. HP 41% | Str 38% | Mag 20% | Skl 41% | Spd 43% | Lck 63% | Def 28% | Res 23%

Stahl: Myrmidon. HP 46% | Str 40% | Mag 13% | Skl 40% | Spd 38% | Lck 66% | Def 36% | Res 18%

Vaike: Knight, Thief, Mercenary. HP 50% | Str 41% | Mag 13% | Skl 43% | Spd 40% | Lck 65% | Def 33% | Res 16%

Kellam: Knight, Thief, Cleric. HP 46% | Str 38% | Mag 15% | Skl 41% | Spd 40% | Lck 61% | Def 38% | Res 25%

Lon'qu: Myrmidon, Thief, Wyvern Rider. HP 43% | Str 36% | Mag 16% | Skl 45% | Spd 45% | Lck 68% | Def 28% | Res 21%

Gaius: Thief, Pegasus Knight, Myrmidon. HP 46% | Str 40% | Mag 15% | Skl 43% | Spd 43% | Lck 61% | Def 28% | Res 20%

Gregor: Mercenary, Troubador, Myrmidon. HP 50% | Str 38% | Mag 13% | Skl 41% | Spd 38% | Lck 65% | Def 33% | Res 18%

Libra: Cleric, Mage, Dark Mage. HP 45% | Str 33% | Mag 21% | Skl 43% | Spd 40% | Lck 65% | Def 28% | Res 25%

So what can we draw from this?

>Stahl is flat out not the best husband and in fact is a little comically counterproductive, only passing one class that really cared about Skill but giving Lucina the lowest base skill growth.

>With Donnel unavailable, Lucina has exactly one path to Galeforce and that's Gaius. She's perfectly good WITHOUT Galeforce but it's something to keep in mind, especially because if you're doing all gay pairings, Chrom's husband is the only relevant one strictly in terms of class inheritance because Morgan gets everything. Also a little surprising: Gaius still gives her one of the higher strength growths on the list.

>It's generally less likely she wants it but if Lucina wants to be a Valkyrie there's only one option for that too... Gregor, who tanks what little magic growth she can have anyway. He's not a bad physical dad at all, though, and gives her access to Mercenary plus Myrmidon. A bit on the slow side, but with higher bulk.

>Her two potential useful magic dads if you want that route are Virion and Libra. Both of them let her in to Dark Knight, probably her preferred magic class because she still gets to use her Falchion, but in terms of magic class diversity Libra clearly wins, and is her only path into Dark Mage if you want a Nosferatu using Lucina. Virion lets her be notably stronger, and a little faster, and they're equally matched on defense, but Libra wins by a little bit on all other growths.

>Lon'qu isn't going to make her the strongest in Strength or Defense, and his classes are perfectly fine but not super standout aside from Having Swords, but he gives her the highest personal growths in Skill, Speed, AND Luck. That's pretty notable.

>Frederick is... well rounded? Only two class sets but they're perfectly fine ones, high HP growth, middling everything else. Not gonna be a bad Lucina (making a bad Lucina is Pretty Difficult) but not gonna be top of the line.

>Vaike is a big tough dad who offers Mercenary access and the highest personal Strength growth. He's... similar to Frederick but better in terms of inheritance in every way but Lucina's Res growth. You are not trying to optimize Lucina's Res growth.

>Kellam is... probably your best choice if you WANTED to optimize Lucina's Res growth. If you pick Libra you're totally building a magic Lucina, and then you have to deal with THEIR Res stat. Tougher defenses, respectable strength, slightly lower skill and speed but not bad per se. Odd class sets but you can get something out of them.

Given all this, I'd personally say...

S: Gaius, Vaike
A: Lon'qu, Virion and Libra (if you're dedicated to magic Lucina)
B: Gregor, Virion (if you're not dedicated to magic Lucina)
C: Frederick, Kellam
D: Stahl, Libra (if you're not dedicated to magic Lucina)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh I was thinking about who Chrom would want to bone down with rather than from a gameplay perspective.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The idea of taking Lon'qu's issues to their logical extreme amused me, so in my own experience with this mod he's who I picked as Lucina's other dad. Nothing wrong with just a solid stat package for a character who comes stock with everything she needs to be at least decent.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Natural 20 posted:

Oh I was thinking about who Chrom would want to bone down with rather than from a gameplay perspective.

Oh :V

My vote's on Gaius or Lon'qu on that front. Similar twink levels to the canon look of M!Robin, meet him during the story instead of being old allies, probably at the same level of interest in experimenting as him. With Gaius, the prince falling for the dashing thief he caught trying to steal from the palace is a classic, whereas with Lon'qu there's just the comedy factor of Chrom hooking up with the swordsman his sister expresses a minor crush on during the main story.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Vaike and Gaius still win out on that front imo. Especially Vaike, rivalries are inherently homoerotic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Part 3: Are you sure you're not a girl Fredrick?

Robin you literally only remember things from a week ago.

It's really funny how Chrom picked up some random hobo and inducted her as the second in command of his militia. I like to imagine Emmeryn has seen this happen before.

And Supports open up. Supports are absurdly powerful in Awakening. Not only upping hit/evade/crit and so on, but also increasing stats when paired up.

Poor Fredrick, will never advance his supports.

And proof the Same Sex Marriage mod is working. But unfortunately for all the eligible bachelors none of them will ever get to know Chrom.

And so Robin meets the collection of weirdos and benchwarmers that will make up this army.

Honestly I have to wonder why some of these same sex relationships had to be modded into the game

...and then we meet one of the best units we will have access to.

And then Chrom's diplomatic mission is interrupted by an army of the dead. You know, as they do.

And so the next stage begins.

First I set up my backpacks.

While not the absolute nightmare it is on Lunatic mode, this stage is still fairly tricky. Especially when I only have access to three units! Robin moves her to catch the attention of the Risen over on this side of the stage.

Sully moves down here to do the same.

Chrom, Lisse, and Sir Not Being Deployed Again move to a safe spot to not attract the attention of anybody.

It goes about as planned for Sully, a little bit of damage but she hits back.

Robin swings her backpack around to get a surprise KO at least.

And the rest of the Risen move up.

Oh hey and then we got another Shepard showing up! And it's a woman! So I can use her!

Miriel
Class: Mage
Reclass Options: Troubadour, Dark Mage

Growth Rates

HP : 35(+35)
STR: 15(+00)
MAG: 40(+20)
SKL: 40(+20)
SPD: 40(+20)
LUK: 50(+00)
DEF: 20(+10)
RES: 30(+10)

Miriel is our second magic using unit. Unlike Robin she's pure magic, at least at moment. But likely forever because that strength growth is laughable, not improved by her class at all. I suppose you could eventually class change her to a Dark Knight or War Cleric but... why would you want to?

Miriel is very frail. With a fairly low HP growth for this game, and pathetic defense overall. But that does not matter. The two stats she really cares about, Magic and Speed, both have 60% growth and good bases. She will hit very hard and very fast with magic. And that's all you need her to do. Keep her behind somebody bulky (Lol, lmao, for this challenge run) and let her nuke things from the rear.

Magic +2 is a fine starting skill. +2 to damage is always useful. While eventually there will be stronger skills to use, this does give her a decent edge this early game.

Unfortunately she isn't quite strong enough (magic enough?) yet to be able to take care of these enemies in one go.

So Sully finishes it off. They're staying right here in a more defensive position

Robin moves down here to protect Lissa

She's definitely the tankiest unit available, with 13 defense.

By Comparison the Soldier Risen have 15 attack.

Miriel can take one hit. Thankfully with this positioning that's the only hit she has to take.

Meanwhile, Fredrick senses that this is his final stage on the game, and is determined to put on a good show.

And then Lissa also gets a dual guard off, she doesn't want to have to heal Chrom.

And the chip does get Chrom a level. I'll take STR and Defense at this point.

And Fredrick does it again!

Which gets Robin this great level. Magic and Speed and some other stats.

OK now that the initial rush is done we're in a much more stable spot. Some lucky Dual Strikes did thin the herd, so we can hopefully take out the remaining three.

Sully and Miriel take out this one.

On my first playthough of this stage for this challenge Chrom missed on a 79% which cost me a reset. So he stands next to Lissa for that Support bonus to take out the very same Risen that he missed.

And then Robin destroys the remaining one

And the following turn I start moving up and patching people up, Lissa gets her first level!

It's, well, a level. That number sure did go up.

On a Sparkling Tile Sully finds a Shockstick. This is C Rank lance that uses Magic rather than strength. It can be rather handy for key targets. The random little rewards are honestly something I like about Awakening, there are some neat little weapons

And after a bit of moving around we have a defensive set up. Sully and Robin will be tanking the hits and they're the two bulkiest members of the Shepards.

Are you sure you're not a girl Fredrick? No? OK.

Man of a Path of Radiance female only run would be very funny, and by "Funny" I mean "Titania Solos the first third of the game."

Robin gets a worse level than the last one. But I'll take it, since she's on tanking duty and survivability boost is good.

As we move up we see the boss of ther stage. Honestly not a big deal. 16 attack is within range of anything else. The only problem is that we can't have Miriel attack out of range.

Sully and Miriel take down the Risen in front of them

Sully gets this rather impressive level from it. Now, it's impressive in a bad way. In that it's four stats, good, but none of them are of immediate value, which is bad.

Robin takes the fort.

I actually end the turn there. Because I want Miriel to get another KO, and I know she can take a hit so I let her do so to weaken this Risen rather than kill it outright like Chrom would.

Robin is handling herself just fine.

As planned Miriel gets the kill, and a middle of the road level. More Magic is good, but more speed would be nice.

And now there's just two Risen left.

Nevermind, just one.

Robin and Chrom soften up the boss for Miriel.

I have to start telling myself that as a staff user Lissa's stats do not matter. She just needs to heal. Just needs to heal.

So Miriel kills the boss

Hope you like that Freddy, it's the last bit of attention you're getting this run.

Next time: We get one new unit, and she's good!

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 17, 2023

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr Pepper posted:

Man of a Path of Radiance female only run would be very funny, and by "Funny" I mean "Titania Solos the first third of the game."
Yeah, I decided not to do one for pretty much exactly this reason. It's the Titania Show for a good long time, which is pretty dull. And then you get Mia, which...does not markedly improve things :v: PoR is actually heavily titled, with more than twice as many men as women.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8nI-qO0t8
Chrom and his army

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mods put this in the thread title tia

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You keep calling her Mirel. Her name is Miriel.

(also Fredrick when he's Frederick but that's not very important anymore)

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

theshim posted:

Yeah, I decided not to do one for pretty much exactly this reason. It's the Titania Show for a good long time, which is pretty dull. And then you get Mia, which...does not markedly improve things :v: PoR is actually heavily titled, with more than twice as many men as women.

I did a girls only playthrough of PoR once and it really was just a Titania solo until Marcia joined, at which point I dumped all of my BEXP into her and the game was over already. Although I think that's how some people always play that game anyway...

Lissa got strength and defense, obviously you gotta make her a War Cleric.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Part 4:Wait no Robin. Stop!

While heading up north to hire mercenaries Chrom runs into a horse with wings

Luckily here Sumia's here to deal with it.

And they even give us this special CG of her doing it. Though, whose pegasus is this? Like, it's clearly tamed and owned by somebody. It's wearing armor and has a bridle. But I guess in Ylisse Pegasi go by the finders keepers rules. So it's Sumia's now.

So Ylisse and Regna Ferox seem to have fairly decent relations, unlike Plegia. So why did they build a massive border wall between them? There's history here. Note that it also borders Plegia too.

Like we know that Ylisse was once Archanea, in which the kingdom the continent got its name from once ruled over the entire thing, and Regna Ferox is the northern part of the continent. It paints an interesting picture that, perhaps, in the distant past when the ancient kingdom Marth pullled together after conquering the entire continent in FE3 the nation that became Regna Ferox wanted to make sure the old empire didn't try and invade to get them back.

Of course, more likely the writers just thought the wall would be a cool set piece for a fight and didn't try and think to hard about the worldbuilding.

And with that the challenge can really begin in earnest. While there are still some chapters that introduce new force deployments, I no longer need to shove Fredrick into the back. He can retire in peace.

Of course the developers expected you to use your units. Silly geese.

Like, Chrom literally has a massive birthmark on his arm and a magic sword made by the gods. I think you'd be able to recognize him. But hey, then we wouldn't have a stage to fight.

And then Sumia gets her own CG cutscene. It's actually a little odd because they clearly push Sumia as being the love interest for Chrom. The Caeda to Chrom's Marth. (The original.) But she isn't really involved with anything past this chapter. You could never use her again. That's a bad idea, but it's possible.

Granted, Awakening does a good job of hiding this with constant supports and a handful of scenes that change depending on who Chrom Chrom'd but it's still there.

Anyways, the objective is to defeat the boss of the map.

As we can see, there are two paths to get to the boss. Since you don't need to beat everyone I am just ignoring the right side and moving left. That way I don't need to worry about my collection of mostly fragile (at the moment) units getting pincered.

So Sully, who is decently tanky, moves forward to start the fight.

Then Robin chips things down a little more for an incredible level.

Now we should probably take a look at our new unit.

Sumia
Class: Pegasus Knight
Reclass Options: Knight, Cleric

Growth Rates

HP : (35+40)
STR: (30+15)
MAG: (20+5)
SKL: (45+25)
SPD: (45+25)
LUK: (60+00)
DEF: (25+5)
RES: (30+10)

So Sumia is the first of three pegasus knights you get in the game. Of the three she's more of the speedy type. In other words, exactly what you expect a Pegasus Knight to be if you've ever played a Fire Emblem game.

Sumia is very fast, and will be able to reliably double attack. She is a a bit held back by her lack of strength. Low bases and 45% growth is fairly low for this game. Luckily strength is very very easy to make up for and Sumia's ability to fly is more than enough to make her usable. Flight letting you ignore terrain and anything to just hit where you want, combined with high movement is very handy. Sumia can ferry units around, double everything and with this game not having weapon weight there is nothing stopping her from using the strongest lances to make up for low STR. Overall an excellent unit.

Speed +2 is another very good basic skill. +2 speed is always nice, so Sumia has 13 speed. Which means right now at base she can double anything with 8 speed or lower. Which at this early level is a lot.

Of course the specter of Shanna haunts us still. The archers will go for trying to kill Sumia. With effective damage he'd be hitting her with 27 attack. Which means she is one-shotted.

So she waits here with Miriel for the turn, until after that archer is dealt with.

Come enemy phase The solider gives Chrom an excellent level.

Then there is a double miss. With both Robin and the archer in forest tiles. Lame, as it does mean the archers will stick around a little longer.

Fortunately the rest of the enemy phase does have Robin deliver some good damage.

I always played Awakening on Hard mode minimum and gosh, to think pair up just isn't usable until this point. Imagine if they had kept that Normal Mode restriction.

And then a hilariously unnecessary crit from Sumia. You were going to kill him anyways.

Then Robin and Sully kill the other archer, this making this spot safe for all Pegasus Knights.

So at C-rank you start to get bonuses when wielding weapons. at C-rank lances Sully gets +1 attack when using Lances. Though this bonus is removed when at Weapon Triangle disadvantage. So attacking axes puts her a bit worse.

Darn it Chrom.

The spear wound in Lissa is your fault Chrom.

Sully doesn't miss.

And she gets a good level out of it. Strength and Speed my beloved.

Now we just have to open this door.

Thanks Sumia.

Now I want Miriel to get this KO. But her magic just isn't high enough yet ot one round it. So I pair her with Robin, still not enough. So basically I have a 25% chance of being able to get the KO.

Tragically it isn't a clean one-round.

Then like a fool I have Chrom KO, giving him some support points. But luckily I do have some wiggle room for the Lucina Deadline.

I don't make that mistake again and come the next turn I'm ready to move up

I'm a little cautious. I only have two units who can really take a hit

Sully manages to one round the archer.

So Miriel blows up this guy for a disappointing level.

Robin softens up the warrior

I felt foolish and thought I'd avoid a counter by having Sumia grab Sully's javelin. But then it turned out she doesn't have enough damage with the Javelin's low might. And you can't take back movement after trading.

:negative:

So I move Lissa out of the way and let the fighter decide who he will die on.

And in what is surely my hubris punishing me it's Sumia, so she got the damage I was trying to dodge regardless.

At least on the player phase I got a level from healing that damage

Lissa. No. Please.

I lure over the last three regular enemies I'll be dealing with

The Archer/Pegasus Knight rivalry is a bit interesting in most FE games. Sure Archers can nuke then, but with their high movement and flight there's few better ways to take care of an archer than with a Pegasus Knight on your end.

Your help was not needed but appreciated Robin.

Welp. That's at least some speed. On my fastest character.

Come enemy phase Sumia and Miriel handle the last mercenary.

Having Sully give Robin a bit more defense I move Robin up to handle Raimi.

Raimi isn't much of a threat. That Javelin doesn't have a lot of might and her Attack isn't too high. The biggest thing is that beefy defense stat. But we have magic and Chrom's Rapier to handle that.

Wait no Robin. Stop!

Darn it Robin! That was EXP for Sumia!

At least that was a good level.

And so we beat her up hard enough to convince her we are legitimate. Again, I can't help but imagine this isn't the first time this has happened.

Next Time: Some Rootin' Tootin' Bandit Shootin'

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lissa is telling you she wants to be a War Cleric

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nihilarian posted:

Lissa is telling you she wants to be a War Cleric
Not only are the skills good, but she gets to carry an axe as big as she is! And she looks cute in the War Cleric dress.
It's Win-Win!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I like how you didn't even mention the source of Sully's tankiness. Just the full on, he who must not be named treatment.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's rather funny to me that due to the style of Lissa's Cleric dress and the war cleric's general outfit, I'm fairly certain her default class is meant to be War Cleric.

Her stats just suck too much to actually pull that off in a typical game, and in general Awakening hasn't exactly learnt how to make mixed stat characters work well in most cases.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She also gets war cleric in warriors for all that's worth

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keldulas posted:

It's rather funny to me that due to the style of Lissa's Cleric dress and the war cleric's general outfit, I'm fairly certain her default class is meant to be War Cleric.

Her stats just suck too much to actually pull that off in a typical game, and in general Awakening hasn't exactly learnt how to make mixed stat characters work well in most cases.

Has that really worked out in ANY FE game?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
FE5, kind of, the magic swords. I also thought the Troubadours were interestingly balanced with how the swords/staves and horse thing tended up interacting.

FE: Fates actually also did a reasonable job with some of the mixed offense classes you could make use of. Yeah, units ended to favour one or the other, but the other option was usually at least handy to have.

Chloe from Engage has some interesting bits with how her strength and magic are even enough to either nuke them with a Levin Sword or a Killing Edge (just don't try to make her use the magical lance, it's crap). Admittedly I think she's like the only one in that game like that.

In most cases, it's a fine balance that they definitely fail at most of the time. In most cases, the attempted mixed characters simply lose too much in stats that they don't do well in general, like in pretty much any system that attempts it.

FE9 has the most hilarious case of it not working. Mages..... with KNIVES. Or just give them staff proficiency like a normal sane person.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shastahanshah posted:

It's not a traditional FE game, but Three Hopes made it work and then went one better by making the magic bows/swords/axes/lances/gauntlets readily available about a third of the way into the game.

And then went so far as to add tomes that key off the user's STR and strike against DEF instead of RES. That is an item I never understood what to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If they had wanted War Cleric Lissa to be a viable option they should have given her more strength or made weapon rank easier so she could use magic axes sooner

Shastahanshah posted:

Like it works fine in most games its possible. Typically a physical unit using magic weapons tends to work better than magic units using physical weapons then there'd monster's like Olwen with two different Prf weapons because why not.

Actually that's how you make War Cleric Lissa good. Give her a busted prf axe