Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shastahanshah posted:

Has that really worked out in ANY FE game?

It works in this game with Dread Fighter on a lot of the kids. Owain with a physical parent loves it for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Keldulas posted:

FE9 has the most hilarious case of it not working. Mages..... with KNIVES. Or just give them staff proficiency like a normal sane person.

In fairness, this felt more like an attempt to balance Calill and Bastian than a real choice that you were expected to make with any of the unpromoted mages, given that the GBA era was filled with prepromote magic users who were far and away the best units in their class.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Natural 20 posted:

It works in this game with Dread Fighter on a lot of the kids. Owain with a physical parent loves it for example.

One class I won't have access to rip.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Shastahanshah posted:

Has that really worked out in ANY FE game?
Three Houses has a lot of swordfighters with high magic growths and Levin Swords upgrade to 1-3 range. Yuri and Manuela tear enemies up with Levin Swords once they're fast enough to double with them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the problem with War Cleric is it's a cleric promotion and not like a fighter promotion. Giving a low str character axes means nothing unless you trip over a bolt axe. Low mag characters can still get a lot of utility out of staves, and there are staves that just full heal, no questions asked.

Libra has always been good for me though

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 20, 2023

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I don't even think War Cleric Lissa is necessarily bad, it's just that E-Rank Hell was a mistake and I'm glad Weapon Ranks are dead in Engage

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
In Fates, it's worth considering not dumping Mag on Corrin mostly so they can use Levin Sword (especially since both their lord promotion options use some kind of magic (as if you're playing anything but Conquest lol)). Also, Malig Knights with the Bolt Axe are great, especially Elise.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Natural 20 posted:

I more meant 'works in a way that has it feel distinct'. Sorta like how there's a bunch of RPGs that just have tanks gain attack from having high armor.

I'm not a game designer so I don't have any great solutions for that or anything. Maybe I just need to play higher difficulties so enemies have enough armor or magic resist to really appreciate being able to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Best analogy I can think of is that, if every enemy is a nail, you need either a hammer to smash it in or a claw to pull it out. Even if you build a clawed hammer capable of both smashing and pulling, it means less since A) the clawed hammer can't do both at the same moment, and B) it's easier to make a better claw and a better hammer individually that can solve two different problems. The answer of "use the Levin Sword/Shockstick/Bolt Axe/etc" in this context feels a bit like breaking off some of the hammer head of the clawed hammer to improve the balance of the claw, or something...