Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hus for reference.

Anyway, it's really cool when scifi poo poo gets blurred with folklore and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Hell yeah it's my favorite book(s). Happy for you OP.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Is it like Game of Thrones, are there dragons in it?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wifi Toilet posted:

Is it like Game of Thrones, are there dragons in it?

There are giant sea monsters which may or may not be aliens or gods or hyper-advanced humans.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Here's some cover art I found years ago on reddit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

monitor/minotaur

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

These books are great. Love all the weird little obscured references to modern/sf stuff, like the implication that a bunch of the city's/ palaces towers are derelict spacecraft.

What was the deal with the part where severian's wandering around the...arboretum?? and he stumbles across a scene straight out of British colonial Africa. Was that an old hologram or something?

Anyways, wolfe is a fantastic writer.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the skull-bear in annihilation was clearly an alzabo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

DickParasite posted:

Here's some cover art I found years ago on reddit.

this is really pretty. love the jungle haze and color scheme. I had this one, which I think is probably the most common (and also rules)

this bruce pennington wraparound cover art is loving amazing though

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lictor? I 'ardly know 'er!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

free hubcaps posted:

These books are great. Love all the weird little obscured references to modern/sf stuff, like the implication that a bunch of the city's/ palaces towers are derelict spacecraft.

What was the deal with the part where severian's wandering around the...arboretum?? and he stumbles across a scene straight out of British colonial Africa. Was that an old hologram or something?

I just assumed time travel, because Severian time travels at least a few times in the books, and meets other time travellers too.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

Father Inire designed the gardens using special properties of glass and mirrors and poo poo so that exotic alien and ancient plants could survive under the weak, red light of the dying sun. Instead of bothering with artificial light some parts of the garden are straight up in the past while some others are who knows where.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

how funny was it when jonas sees the mirror and is like welp, so long

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I've been lusting after the folio editions for a while now.

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/the-book-of-the-new-sun-2-volume.html

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 17, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Jimlit posted:

I've been listing after the folio editions for a while now.

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/the-book-of-the-new-sun-2-volume.html

oh my god, same.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

they both make a living by torturing and executing people. next queastion

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Easy, they both live in the future.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I think they both hosed their own grandmas, which is cool.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

folio should do a release of m john harison's light

i would buy it

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

I left off somewhere in the second book like 8 years ago, I should reread and actually finish the series this time

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

I think they both hosed their own grandmas, which is cool.

incorrect. they both banged Fry's grandma.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the new sun books were quite good, but the urth stuff was already so much worse that i didn't bother with the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Buce posted:

folio should do a release of m john harison's light

i would buy it

Light is so good