Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
It seems like there was some commonality between early hacker culture like you’d see at MIT and in zines like Youth International Party Line and the scene all the way up till the 2000s but after chanology it’s all aspiring criminals, hactivists, and security professionals.

Is there still some youth subculture somewhere revolving around m80s, prank calls, huffing glue, hacking your local branch library, and cringy writing?

I know some scene people still but we’re all old and wouldn’t be part of something so dumb and risky. Does it still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

it was a time and a place that doesnt exist in the same way anymore

i actually wonder what the youth (like high schoolers) are getting up to these days in this regard

my (younger than HS) nieces and nephews are loving around in roblox or minecraft or scratch.mit.edu usually

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Share Bear posted:

i actually wonder what the youth (like high schoolers) are getting up to these days in this regard

my (younger than HS) nieces and nephews are loving around in roblox or minecraft or scratch.mit.edu usually

it's roblox all the way down, unfortunately.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a lot of the stuff that would be considered a "prank" or no big deal back in the day is now a federal felony so that sucked a lot of the fun out of it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anything can be a hacker scene if you wear huge shades and say “I’m in” in a badass voice

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

akadajet posted:

it's roblox all the way down, unfortunately.

No no we can work with this. We need to mod minecraft so that it has realistic drug and explosive crafting, raw sockets, telephony, and a network scanner.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Internet Old One posted:

It seems like there was some commonality between early hacker culture like you’d see at MIT and in zines like Youth International Party Line and the scene all the way up till the 2000s but after chanology it’s all aspiring criminals, hactivists, and security professionals.

Is there still some youth subculture somewhere revolving around m80s, prank calls, huffing glue, hacking your local branch library, and cringy writing?

I know some scene people still but we’re all old and wouldn’t be part of something so dumb and risky. Does it still exist?

those people were never really all that relevant even back in the day. they were just the only people on the internet so you heard about their bullshit a lot more

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

a lot of the stuff that would be considered a "prank" or no big deal back in the day is now a federal felony

yeah. lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its hackthebox and discord now op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Internet Old One posted:

this is here, on yospos. and irc, discord, in Twitter circles (less so now tho lol), and on mastodon, or maybe Bluesky. also in other niche forums, mailing lists, what have you.

it isn’t just one scene there’s like, so many, but they’re often lazer focused on like, a specific topic. maybe they’re into retrogames, rom hacks and fan translations? well there’s communities down to the console level for that

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sweevo posted:

those people were never really all that relevant even back in the day. they were just the only people on the internet so you heard about their bullshit a lot more

What people and relevant to what?

YIPL predates arpanet and when I think of MIT hackers I think of ITS which also predates arpanet. A lot of the scene people I knew in the 90s grew up to be pretty important.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

OldAlias posted:

this is here, on yospos. and irc, discord, in Twitter circles (less so now tho lol), and on mastodon, or maybe Bluesky. also in other niche forums, mailing lists, what have you.

it isn’t just one scene there’s like, so many, but they’re often lazer focused on like, a specific topic. maybe they’re into retrogames, rom hacks and fan translations? well there’s communities down to the console level for that

Yeah but we’re like grown ups and generally expect a certain level of maturity there might be kids in these scenes but they’re not behaving like it’s the lord of the flies. There’s other cultural differences that are pretty hard to explain. Like if the scene still existed the way it did from 1960 to especially the 80s and 90s we would probably universally disapprove. I wouldn’t want to be involved in any such scene but I would be curious about it.

I think some of the other posters are on to something about today’s severe consequences. By the 90s everyone was extremely paranoid and it helped foster a very hostile culture.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I've wondered about this but I feel like it's hard for computer-touching to be counterculture when every aspect of our lives involves them fundamentally now, so I hope those would-be hacker ph4aks are out woodworking or something else

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
posting in the old hacker thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah the counterculture thing for youths now is idk playing sports or going outside

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gonna set up a gremcit BBS on dialup for the kids to play TW2002 on

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Bloody posted:

yeah the counterculture thing for youths now is idk playing sports or going outside

no it’s skibidi toilet, op

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

posting in the old hack thread

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the hacker scene these days is all about jailbreaking your game & watch to run nes roms

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

rotor posted:

it's actually the thread for old hacks, so uhh carry on

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

rotor posted:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

time marches inexorably on, no moment every truly exists, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

you sound like you know what your talking about. are you a teenager?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

jocks suck :mad:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i used some hex editor to change the name of a drive on my amiga to include a character it shouldn’t have

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

echi's amiga became an amigo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the kids are all rapidly evolving new and horrifying ways to maximise the exploitation of whales in roblox. you merely came to enshittified microtransactions a man grown, they are born of it and molded by it

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
went to a defcon local meetup and there were a good number of people (mostly from IVU) rocking what I would consider the 00s aesthetic.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: oops, thought this was a continuation of the conversation from another thread

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2023

110623_4
Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

110723_8
Nov 8, 2023
bump