Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
It seems like there was some commonality between early hacker culture like you’d see at MIT and in zines like Youth International Party Line and the scene all the way up till the 2000s but after chanology it’s all aspiring criminals, hactivists, and security professionals.

Is there still some youth subculture somewhere revolving around m80s, prank calls, huffing glue, hacking your local branch library, and cringy writing?

I know some scene people still but we’re all old and wouldn’t be part of something so dumb and risky. Does it still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

akadajet posted:

it's roblox all the way down, unfortunately.

No no we can work with this. We need to mod minecraft so that it has realistic drug and explosive crafting, raw sockets, telephony, and a network scanner.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sweevo posted:

those people were never really all that relevant even back in the day. they were just the only people on the internet so you heard about their bullshit a lot more

What people and relevant to what?

YIPL predates arpanet and when I think of MIT hackers I think of ITS which also predates arpanet. A lot of the scene people I knew in the 90s grew up to be pretty important.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

OldAlias posted:

this is here, on yospos. and irc, discord, in Twitter circles (less so now tho lol), and on mastodon, or maybe Bluesky. also in other niche forums, mailing lists, what have you.

it isn’t just one scene there’s like, so many, but they’re often lazer focused on like, a specific topic. maybe they’re into retrogames, rom hacks and fan translations? well there’s communities down to the console level for that

Yeah but we’re like grown ups and generally expect a certain level of maturity there might be kids in these scenes but they’re not behaving like it’s the lord of the flies. There’s other cultural differences that are pretty hard to explain. Like if the scene still existed the way it did from 1960 to especially the 80s and 90s we would probably universally disapprove. I wouldn’t want to be involved in any such scene but I would be curious about it.

I think some of the other posters are on to something about today’s severe consequences. By the 90s everyone was extremely paranoid and it helped foster a very hostile culture.