Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

wow all it takes is two great linemen to have a historic offense, who knew

seriously that 2019 offense had a skill position group that would make Bryce Young grimace

It was a huge reason we were so successful on 4th and short. We were like the Eagles of back then. Yanda then retired and Stanley got his career-altering injury the following year and we traded Orlando Brown Jr since he wanted to be a LT.

On 3rd down we would run plays knowing we'd be short because we could get the first on 4th no matter where it was. You have to have great blocking for that. And three top linemen will give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

Greg Roman was trying to zag on an 11-personnel obsessed league and make the greatest running team of all time. It worked for a few years, then the league adjusted and he couldn't adjust back. We'll always have 2019 though

i mean, part of the league 'adjusting' was us losing all three running backs before the start of the year and having to trot out levon bell and devonta freeman

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Roman believed in Lamar the passer, he's just under replacement level at pass game design. Add that to a year in year out awful WR corp and you get what they got. Which was still a pretty good offense. What Roman can get out of the line, run game, and a mobile QB make him worthy of an OC spot somewhere in the NFL.

His pass concepts were just hilariously bad lol. Just some dire stuff

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

maruhkati posted:

Gonna take the opportunity to shout out Chad Pennington.
In that he lasted several years in the NFL? Yeah, he was throwing to Randy Moss in college which gave him a boost, but in the NFL he did decently well. He didn't flame out like Johnny Football.

Not the best, not the worst.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Pennington was a solid QB but messed up his rotator cuff in 2004 and ended up being a career altering injury. Not the greatest ever but nowhere near like "Johnny Football" or any of the other famous big busts

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wasn't he super promising before he hosed up his shoulder

edit beaten by seconds

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Pennington and the Dolphins winning the AFC East after the Jets jettisoned him for Favre is one of my favorite little NFL storylines ever

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I wonder how that year would have finished if Favre hadn't torn his bicep. The Jets were like 8-3 before that

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

I wonder how that year would have finished if Favre hadn't torn his bicep. The Jets were like 8-3 before that

And that same year, the Giants were 11-1 before Plaxico shot himself in the leg.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

Wasn't he super promising before he hosed up his shoulder

edit beaten by seconds

He had a league average arm at best before the injury. He was still good enough to overcome the injury for a while.

Moss said he threw the most catchable ball he ever caught.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

epic bacon posted:

i can't believe this actually happened after the game. it seems unbelievable
Now do it with HUlu has live spoRTS

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

AndrewP posted:

Steelers have been amazing at drafting WRs over the last 15 years or so, but the Vikings probably have the most hits lately.

Ravens are great at finding usable interior defensive linemen all over the draft.

Cowboys offensive line?

I remember back in the day it seemed like the Bengals would constantly hit on DBs.

I would trust the Saints to draft anyone on defense, frankly

Steelers and OLBs is a pretty good too going back to Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pennington’s 2002 season where he took over for Vinny and shithoused the Peyton Manning Colts in the playoffs is still like the most efficient QB season in Jets history.

Then he was injured and injured again and again and then it was over.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The shoulder injury really hurt him, we used to joke a lot about how much of a noodle arm he was

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pennington’s 2002 season where he took over for Vinny and shithoused the Peyton Manning Colts in the playoffs is still like the most efficient QB season in Jets history.

Then he was injured and injured again and again and then it was over.

Mean runner too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkLDFa4oNf4

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Didn't pennington poo poo house the lDt chargers in the playoffs that year?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Didn't pennington poo poo house the lDt chargers in the playoffs that year?

They won 20-17 in overtime because Kaeding missed a field goal

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Was that the year Kaeding was perfect or near perfect all season and then Marty played for the field goal? Which, yeah don't do that but wasn't it like a 42 yarder or something, not something particularly long.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

a neat cape posted:

seems like a good reason to fire your awful head coach

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Was that the year Kaeding was perfect or near perfect all season and then Marty played for the field goal? Which, yeah don't do that but wasn't it like a 42 yarder or something, not something particularly long.

That was 2009, another playoff loss to the Jets where he honked 3 short field goals in a 17-14 loss after having been arguably the best kicker in the NFL that year.

2004 was his rookie year and Marty put him in a bad position in the rain, but still.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

seems like a good reason to fire your awful head coach

They.... didn't? Marty coached two more years

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i can't believe the bills had these uniforms for so long. they're god awful

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK-H-o0JJmA

Kurt Warner backs up his statements that the Ravens offense is still bad, just benefiting from great play by Lamar. Says we still have a lot of the same spacing issues and what have you

He'll certainly seem right if we lay an egg against the Cardinals or if the offense goes back to what it was before this game in general. I don't see why people are so mad at him for pointing this out.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 25, 2023

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Kawalimus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK-H-o0JJmA

Kurt Warner backs up his statements that the Ravens offense is still bad, just benefiting from great play by Lamar. Says we still have a lot of the same spacing issues and what have you

He'll certainly seem right if we lay an egg against the Cardinals or if the offense goes back to what it was before this game in general. I don't see why people are so mad at him for pointing this out.

I kinda dont feel like re-watching the Lions game in detail for SOME REASON, which I normally do, but it seemed like it was mostly the Lions just... not... covering WRs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hizawk posted:

I kinda dont feel like re-watching the Lions game in detail for SOME REASON, which I normally do, but it seemed like it was mostly the Lions just... not... covering WRs.

What he says is Lamar was hitting his 4th and 5th reads which were doable because of the pass protection he was getting among other things. And of course Lamar's excellent improvisations. But the pass concepts were bad and not getting anyone open.

Based on what I saw in the criticism it seems like if the Lions had been able to generate pass rush the game would have gone a lot differently.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

I don't see why people are so mad at him for pointing this out.

because people are soft babies that only want to hear good things about their teams

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

One of the most glorious runs you’ll ever see

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

One of the most glorious runs you’ll ever see

That dead leg worked out pretty damned well.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mystic Stylez posted:

because people are soft babies that only want to hear good things about their teams

most of hte comments of that specific vid seem to be 'for sure you're right, but these plays feel cherry picked'. bad spacing was one of the hallmarks of the roman offense so i'm sure its a sore spot for the film junkies, cause as bad as the spacing gets on some of those plays, its still night and day between this offense and roman's pass concepts. a theory i saw floating around was that they let andrews freelance a lot, which is why on a lot of the plays warner pointed out, andrews is one of the guys (or the guy) with bad spacing, and also the play where he's going inside while jackson threw outside.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think that's right. The other guy frequently involved in Warner's examples of poor spacing and sloppiness is Justice Hill, who is sort of famously sloppy. There are issues with the offense that need to be cleaned up but they appear to be mostly execution, not scheme. Warner's assessment just doesn't jive with the results or the analytics on percentage of open receivers.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think that's right. The other guy frequently involved in Warner's examples of poor spacing and sloppiness is Justice Hill, who is sort of famously sloppy. There are issues with the offense that need to be cleaned up but they appear to be mostly execution, not scheme. Warner's assessment just doesn't jive with the results or the analytics on percentage of open receivers.

the bad spacing in roman's scheme seemed almost by design. it was doggedly consistent. i mean, you can probably go back this season and find more examples of bad spacing and try to pin that on monken, but also i think you can also go back and find way more really good pass concepts when compared to something like roman's offense. there's a lot more right in the passing game than there is wrong, and especially when compared to what was seen from greg roman.

the biggest thing is just consistency, so give the ravens like 2 more games i guess. fumbles and drops were another execution part of all of this so if that all goes away, i'll take what we have.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how much continuity there was between Roman and Monken’s playbook. There are definitely plays that are instantly recognizable as stuff Roman did - that fake sweep to Andrews being an obvious example of something they obviously liked from the last few years and wanted to keep.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Ravens aren't choking away fourth quarter leads or fumbling the ball fifty times a game anymore so they're already improving over the early season.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Roman believed in Lamar the passer, he's just under replacement level at pass game design. Add that to a year in year out awful WR corp and you get what they got. Which was still a pretty good offense. What Roman can get out of the line, run game, and a mobile QB make him worthy of an OC spot somewhere in the NFL.

I agree the Bengals should absolutely hire Greg Roman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Baker Mayfield was let down by his receivers.

Let's talk about it here!