Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
We all eat them. There's very little food that doesn't have "natural flavors" as an ingredient, so what exactly are they?

From the FDA at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22

(3) The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional. Natural flavors include the natural essence or extractives obtained from plants listed in §§ 182.10, 182.20, 182.40, and 182.50 and part 184 of this chapter, and the substances listed in § 172.510 of this chapter.

That covers a LOT of ground so what the hell are we actually eating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No one knows OP.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
rear end OP, everyone eats rear end now

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
on your knees OP

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBNySB2jpVg

Bugs.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Is it true pineapple can enhance your natural flavors or is that just an often repeated myth?

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

great big cardboard tube posted:

Is it true pineapple can enhance your natural flavors or is that just an often repeated myth?

why don't you try it and report back? don't forget to get a non pineapple control first.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

... That covers a LOT of ground so what the hell are we actually eating?

Like it says, chemicals that occur naturally in some foods. Which need not come from actual food, they can be made in a lab or factory from other chemicals or rocks or whatever.

A bit of a scam, isn't it.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Just open another tab or browser window and find out.

Its perfectly legal.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

its cum

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its bugs, op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

great big cardboard tube posted:

According to the research I’ve done with your mom, still inconclusive. Probably going to need another few “studies” to really nail the science down.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I always assumed "natural ingredients" encompasses anything not made in an atom smasher

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
So far the only unnatural flavour is Blue Raspberry, but we're working on more

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
:itwaspoo:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's sugar. If any food or beverage product says "natural flavors" anywhere on the packaging, it means they're adding sugar. Doubly so if it's an alcohol product.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Mostly going to be talking about alcohol here because that's my area of expertise.

One of the most important jobs of regulatory agencies like the FDA and the Alcohol And Tobacco Tax And Trade Bureau (TTB) is maintaining legal definitions of common foodstuffs. If you're selling chicken nuggets that are 25% chicken and 75% pork and the FDA hauls your rear end into court, this cuts off at the pass arguments like "well, what is chicken, anyway? There's chicken in it, isn't that good enough?". The answer is no, it's not, because these agencies define what is and isn't chicken, as well as what is and isn't pork. A lot of these definitions are self-referential and, in a vacuum, very silly. Spirits in particular have a lot of weird clauses in the vein of "gin must taste like gin" and "whiskey must taste like whiskey". Presumably there's a bureaucrat at the TTB whose job is to sip whiskey all day and say things like "this whiskey isn't whiskey enough, take it back".

These definitions invariably involve percentages of ingredients by weight. There's only so much pork you can add to chicken until it isn't legally chicken anymore. For spirits this gets can get complicated, because if you add too much sugar to gin it stops tasting like gin, which means it legally stops being gin. IIRC the cutoff is 2.5% sugar by weight, which most sugary spirits sail past. Anything above that gets classified as a liqueur (or schnapps, or a cordial, all those terms are legally interchangeable in the US).

So what's a distillery to do? How does one make and sell sugary vodkas (or rums, or whiskeys, or whatever) when they're so sugary that they're not vodka anymore? Well, they're not vodka. Not legally, anyway. They're "vodka with natural flavors". Fireball? It's cinnamon vodka with natural flavors. Malibu? Coconut rum with natural flavors. Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey? Honey whiskey with natural flavors. "Natural flavors" is quick and easy workaround because it's admitting that the producer is adding something, but not telling the consumer what it is. If you're buying a bottle of flavored spirits and you see "natural flavors" on the bottle, it means they're dumping sugar into it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Private Cumshoe posted:

rear end OP, everyone eats rear end now

we used to eat rear end. we still do, but we used to too

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

jizm

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mangosteen

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

"natural" smoke flavor

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

All the natural flavoring you can handle!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

castoreum is a natural flavor :unsmigghh:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

nullandvoid posted:

:eyepop:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nullandvoid posted:

Your mom heading to a byob party

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

welcome to flavor country

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

numberoneposter posted:

welcum to flavor cumtry

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

They’re what you get instead of supernatural flavours, like “ectoberry” or “ghost”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The pithy way I've heard it descirbed by a food scientist is that with artificial flavors you take refined reagents and put them through a carefully controlled chemical process to get the exact molecules you want for your flavor profile.

For "natural flavors" you do the same thing, but out an orange on the scale first.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

beaver buttholes can be juiced to produce an all natural strawberry flavoring :science:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Tunicate posted:

The pithy way I've heard it descirbed by a food scientist is that with artificial flavors you take refined reagents and put them through a carefully controlled chemical process to get the exact molecules you want for your flavor profile.

I do the same thing with my farts

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Froghammer posted:

It's sugar. If any food or beverage product says "natural flavors" anywhere on the packaging, it means they're adding sugar. Doubly so if it's an alcohol product.

Pretty sure OP is talking about the "natural flavors" entry that often appears in the ingredients list under the nutritional info, not claims of natural flavors on the front label. In this case, it's definitely not sugar, which is itemized separately. In the case of alcohol, there won't even be an ingredients list because it's regulated by the ATF, not the FDA.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

Dick Fontaine posted:

beaver buttholes can be juiced

Are beavers into rimming?

Time's a factor.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

nullandvoid posted:

Are beavers into rimming?

Time's a factor.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213549979497942315

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

id like to see all these "natural" flavors as limited edition jolly ranchers

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Milo and POTUS posted:

we used to eat rear end. we still do, but we used to too

hilarious quote from a guy who died from natural flavors

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I prefer artificial flavors OP

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I love big natural flavors :D

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If companies were required to specify exactly "what" natural flavors are actually used then they'd essentially be forced to give out the ingredients to their secret recipes. Which may or may not include freeze-dried stallion cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
all the bugs and varmints that get caught in the combine during harvesting