Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I recently acquired the curatorship of thousands of old physical family photos from the 1970'? to the 2000's or so? They're only labeled by date lol

I will obviously to be shredding any with me in them and any containing people I feel should be excised from the historical record. I will try to label the ones left with who they are if I know.

Beyond that??? There are billions of family pics out there. Does anyone want these anywhere? Should i just hold on to them and hope some alien researcher finds them in the rubble thousands of years from now? Can you sell them in bulk to artists?

What do you do with all the pictures? help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Generally, keep them around.

Even if you aren't interested in them today, someone might be interested in them later, where 'later' can be anything from 'weeks' to 'decades'.

My family has a few photos floating around from the 30s and 40s which are now considered neat artifacts from generations past. Don't toss those photos - keep them around!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
1986, I am on the right.

There's some good stuff in here. I'm just gonna try and sort and label and stick back into storage I guess? I feel bad destroying primary source historical sources. Even if I don't care someday someone might be all "SEE THIS PIC PROVES THAT STYLE OF WINDOWSILL EXISTED IN 1987!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I scanned all of ours over covid, not the ones of bushes and maybe a bird and poo poo, but all the people, worst part was trying to guess the date of them all.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Here's what I did with my grandparents' photos, and will do to my parents' photos when I can get my siblings and a slide projector together.

Keep only the ones that mean something to you. Do a hard cull.

Most of my grandparents' photos, I threw out. They were mostly of people that I don't recognize, more or less distant relatives, and anyone who knew who they were are dead.

If you don't throw most of these photos out, your kids or grandkids (if you have kids) will have to do it.

Never to early to start Swedish death cleaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scan the ones you want to save, make sure you have 2 copies of those - one physical and one on a cloud storage provider of some sort. Try to attach labels in some way, shape or form to let others know who the folks in the photos are. If there is anything of even minor historical importance or interest, absolutely save those and label them. As an example, before my maternal grandfather passed, we managed to collect all of his photos from WWII where he served as an XO on a floating drydock in the Pacific. Behind the lines stuff for sure, but it provided a neat glimpse into his history, and one that I and my cousins are all grateful to see.

But as was said, the photos of random bushes/buildings/birds that have no context or identifiable persons in them? Feel free to ditch them unless there is some other context that's important (such as "these are from your grandmother's solo trip across Europe immediately after high school.")