Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Problem description:

Sometimes WSL2 just hangs. Seems to happen more often when I've been away from the computer for a while, possibly related to it suspending? I have to reboot 3-5 times a day. Which, I will admit, is less often than the last time I used Windows in 1990.

I'm comfortable poking around this thing, I just don't know where to start with Windows. Ideally there is some way to track down what's causing it to hang, so I can figure out how to prevent that condition? Maybe? This is smoke and mirrors to me right now.

Attempted fixes:

When this happens, frequently vmmem is taking a lot of CPU. I tried launching the task manager and killing vmmem, but it says I can't (I'll post the exact text next time it happens, in case that matters). I guess this is like when you send a kill -9 and it's stuck in the kernel?

I've tried running
code:
wsl --shutdown
in an admin powershell: it just hangs and never gives me a prompt back. I've tried
code:
Get-Service LxssManager | Restart-Service
: that doesn't appear to do anything at all.

I can reboot, wait 2-5 minutes for it to shut everything down, and all's good when it comes back up. This is annoying, though.

Recent changes:

I mean, I understand why this question is in the template, but this has been happening for months now, so, nothing recent has led to it. Maybe something did months ago, when I was setting up WSL2. Maybe it's related to the kludge daemon I had to install to get DNS to work with my corporate VPN: that looked like it called back to the Windows kernel somehow. I didn't understand what it was doing, but it worked. Could that freeze the entire VM system in the host OS?

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: HP Elite Dragonfly G3, with 16GB of RAM, soldered onto the motherboard (I can run one whole VM at a time!)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks, fellow nerds!

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It never freaking fails. I search every phrase I can think of, try all the magic incantations I find on Stack Exchange, give up and post a request for help, then I find the exact issue I just posted about.

https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/8529

I'll report back if I can verify that killing wslservice.exe fixes the problem. I presume wslservice provides Windows resources to Linux: for instance file system access, and maybe an X server that draws on Windows.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Running this in an admin powershell did the trick:

code:
taskkill /f /im wslservice.exe
Another Haus of Tech Support success story! :peanut: