Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

shitface posted:

https://adguard.com/kb/general/ad-filtering/create-own-filters

why does yospos have so much trouble with adblockers ?

tbh i just didn't want to read the documentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:chome:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
smdh at having to read docs for a browser extension

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
No seriously, the new slack is bad. I feel like we need more attention on this subject.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

RokosCockatrice posted:

No seriously, the new slack is bad. I feel like we need more attention on this subject.

it's so loving bad dude. i emailed the with my complaints about it and their response was basically "lol deal with it, and also actually it's better now." but good news, you can go back to the old less-bad slack still. on a mac you can open the terminal and enter

export SLACK_DEVELOPER_MENU=true
open /Applications/Slack.app

then once slack is open, hit cmd-opt-i to open the console. paste in

localStorage.setItem("localConfig_v2", localStorage.getItem("localConfig_v2").replace(/\"is_unified_user_client_enabled\":true/g, '\"is_unified_user_client_enabled\":false'))

and hit return, then refresh with cmd-r

in windows you can do

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c " SET SLACK_DEVELOPER_MENU=TRUE && start C:\existing\path\to\slack.exe"

and then open the console and paste that same thing in.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

they made the right click menu scrollable and now “inspect element” requires you to scroll a bit, destroying years of muscle memory

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

they made the right click menu scrollable and now “inspect element” requires you to scroll a bit, destroying years of muscle memory

omg ui decisions like this absolutely boggle my mind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

tbh i just didn't want to read the documentation

exactly

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

smdh at having to read docs for a browser extension

yeah gently caress yeah

reading docs for almost anything is a crime

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe not like CPUs or aeroplanes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The YouTube thing is annoying Chrome has been running worse and worse for me no matter what I do so I tried Brave and Vivaldi and it seems to run YouTube fine without ads. One thing I didn't get about Brave is it seemed to really push itself as no ads/trackers/etc. but like the mobile app's default page is a game ad? Seemed a lot less customizable than I was expecting too but fine overall.

On mobile there's NewPipe of course but on desktop stuff like piped.video or whatever is really cool in theory but never quite works right for me.

I had never really read much about Vivaldi but ended up liking it a lot more than I expected so I'll probably be rolling with that.

I see people in this thread mention not liking Chromium but are there even any browsers that are decent besides Firefox that aren't based on Chromium? Like is LibreWolf or whatever any good? I used Firefox when it first dropped but in later years it was always super slow for me and never got better for me no matter what I did which yeah maybe that's a user error on my part but like dang lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Edge Classic was its own thing until goog went to war with it and made youtube run like poo poo so microsoft gave up and made edge chomium

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

chedge

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Elder Postsman posted:

it's so loving bad dude. i emailed the with my complaints about it and their response was basically "lol deal with it, and also actually it's better now." but good news, you can go back to the old less-bad slack still. on a mac you can open the terminal and enter

localStorage.setItem("localConfig_v2", localStorage.getItem("localConfig_v2").replace(/\"is_unified_user_client_enabled\":true/g, '\"is_unified_user_client_enabled\":false'))

in windows you can do

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c " SET SLACK_DEVELOPER_MENU=TRUE && start C:\existing\path\to\slack.exe"

lol every bit of doing this sounds worse than just using the new slack

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

well-read undead posted:

and it always gets reset the next day or something

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I remember arguing against Slack and everyone was like “shut up nerd they let you use your dork IRC client anyhow”. I knew it was a trick but there was no way to explain it to anyone who didn’t already think so without sounding crazy.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Internet Old One posted:

I remember arguing against Slack and everyone was like “shut up nerd they let you use your dork IRC client anyhow”. I knew it was a trick but there was no way to explain it to anyone who didn’t already think so without sounding crazy.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it could be worse it could be discord

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best extensions for safari are
stopthemadness
vinegar
baking soda

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

well-read undead posted:

it’s like one thing you gotta paste in

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yospos: "OH MY GOD YOU loving MORON SMART DEVICES ARE LETTING THE WORLD INTO YOUR NETWORK"
also yospos: "lol here just paste random gobbledygook into apps that you use for work and chatting and poo poo"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shaggar posted:

Edge Classic was its own thing until goog went to war with it and made youtube run like poo poo so microsoft gave up and made edge chomium

internet explorer finally getting put to death by tactics out of the 90's microsoft playbook is fitting and funny

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

the new slack is good, actually.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah it seems fine. i think I hate the messages I get on slack and the people who send them to me more than it’s ui. oh is it monday again already :shepface:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

internet explorer finally getting put to death by tactics out of the 90's microsoft playbook is fitting and funny

atleast when microsoft did it the result was something better than the original. netscape was total rear end compared to IE. youtube's chromium only javascript UI is terrible

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have used the Internet since it first existed. I never used UUCP, though occasionally I sent emails to addresses that specified further transmission via UUCP.

I am careful in how I connect to the internet.

Specifically, I refuse to connect through portals that would require me to identify myself, or to run any nontrivial nonfree Javascript code. I use LibreJS to prevent nonfree Javascript code from running..

I don't mind giving an identity that isn't really me, in order to connect, if that works. That does not violate my privacy.

I often connect in a person's home. The person of course knows who I am, but I have no objection to that. What I would object to is putting my identity in a database that can be searched. I prevent that by changing my mac address at each location.

I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it.

I occasionally also browse unrelated sites using IceCat via Tor. Except for rare cases, I do not identify myself to them. I think that plus Tor plus LibreJS is enough to prevent my browsing from being associated with me. IceCat blocks tracking tags and most fingerprinting methods.

I never run nonfree Javascript on my browser, unless LibreJS finds it to be trivial.

I never pay for anything on the Web, because that generally requires running nonfree Javascript code in my browser. It also requires identifying myself. I never identify myself to buy any product.

I avoid paying with credit cards generally. That page describes a very few exceptions.

For freedom's sake, insist on paying cash. When a business pressures you to pay in an identified way, it's your chance to defend freedom by saying, "If you won't take my cash, no sale!"

I would not mind paying for a copy of an e-book or music recording on the Internet if I could do so anonymously, and it treated me justly in other ways (no DRM or EULA). But that option almost never exists. I keep looking for ways to make it exist.

For searching, I often DuckDuckGo. Thanks to Tor and LibreJS, it does not identify me.

I used to use searx to search specifically for images, but this no longer works: specifying search for images now depends on nonfree Javascript code. Unless and until this is fixed, I no longer use searx.

I also sometimes use ixquick.com. My usual precautions should stop them from knowing it is me.

Since several years ago, I cannot directly access Google search. It sends me a broken CAPTCHA. I suspect the reason it tries to send me a CAPTCHA is that I am coming through Tor. I would answer the CAPTCHA if that worked, but it does not.

I suspect that the reason the CAPTCHA is broken is that it depends on nonfree Javascript that it tries to run in my computer. I refuse to let that run. I am not willing to let Google see where I am, so I won't bypass Tor.

However, the Librex proxies have worked around that problem. They enable me to access Google Search indirectly, and they work correctly through Tor with LibreJS enabled.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

yospos: "OH MY GOD YOU loving MORON SMART DEVICES ARE LETTING THE WORLD INTO YOUR NETWORK"
also yospos: "lol here just paste random gobbledygook into apps that you use for work and chatting and poo poo"

the random gobbledygook comes from the official slack site so in this case its fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also id rather get owned by some random on a forum than by amazon. a lot of what i do on this front is more feeling like i take some stand than actual opsec nonsense.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Elder Postsman posted:

in windows you can do

this is just teetering on the edge of the kind of stupid poo poo i'd do in the name of fighting progress.

akadajet posted:

the new slack is good, actually.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

is this the "chome bad" thread?

chome has announced their intent to experiment with something they're calling "IP Protection" which superficially sounds similar to iCloud Private Relay and uses the same/similar underlying technologies but is apparently aimed at depriving third party trackers from getting the browser's IP address.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/9s8ojrooa_Q posted:

IP Protection is a feature that sends third-party traffic for a set of domains through proxies for the purpose of protecting the user by masking their IP address from those domains.

After receiving much feedback from the ecosystem, the design of the broader proposal is as follows:

* IP Protection will be opt-in initially. This will help ensure that there is user control over privacy decisions and that Google can monitor behaviors at lower volumes.

* It will roll out in a phased manner. Like all of our privacy proposals, we want to ensure that we learn as we go and we recognize that there may also be regional considerations to evaluate.

* We are using a list based approach and only domains on the list in a third-party context will be impacted. We are conscious that these proposals may cause undesired disruptions for legitimate use cases and so we are just focused on the scripts and domains that are considered to be tracking users.

We plan to test and roll out the feature in multiple phases. To start, Phase 0 will use a single Google-owned proxy and will only proxy requests to domains owned by Google. This first phase will allow us to test our infrastructure while preventing impact to other companies and gives us more time to refine the list of domains that will be proxied. For simplicity, only clients with US-based IP addresses will be granted access to the proxies for phase 0.

A small percentage of clients will be automatically enrolled in this initial test, though the architecture and design will evolve between this test and future launches. To access the proxy, a user must be logged in to Chrome. To prevent abuse, a Google-run authentication server will grant access tokens to the Google run proxy based on a per-user quota.

In future phases we plan to use a 2-hop proxy, as had previously been indicated in the IP Protection explainer.

lmao at:

1. the original name for this feature being "Gnatcatcher". you know, those gnats tracking your online activity that aren't big enough to have their own browser and invent the idea of "logging in" to your browser and forcibly conflate it with the idea of logging into the popular websites that you own. hope the EU competition authorities get a hold of the internal emails where they go "oh lol we can't call this Gnatcatcher" in like 5-7 years.

2. the google engineer going "IP means Intellectual Property"

3. the google engineer going "your list of google domains contains long dead google services inbox, wave, orkut" (also plus)

4. the google engineer going "if this is actually effective won't the first parties and third parties collude to expose the browser's real IP via the DOM"

5. "we are just focused on the scripts and domains that are considered to be tracking users […] In this experiment the only sites impacted are Google owned domains"

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

eukara posted:

Brave has done bizarre poo poo, look up the Tom Scott thing or the recent VPN thing. They keep doing hostile things.

But also, a few years ago when the browser was still new they had advertised on 4chan incognito with blurbs like "come home white man" so you know these people are quite uhh

Brave only exists because Brendan Eich got booted* from Mozilla for being a homophobic oval office. also I don't know what Brian Bondy believes but that guy's probably also not good

ED: *he stepped down as CEO but whatever

JAnon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2023

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

that should be its own emote

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

JAnon posted:

already have a chedge emote :nexus:

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

already have a chedge emote :nexus:

that's a nexus emote. you total buffoon

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

JAnon posted:

:chedge:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

drat

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

The YouTube thing is annoying Chrome has been running worse and worse for me no matter what I do so I tried Brave and Vivaldi and it seems to run YouTube fine without ads. One thing I didn't get about Brave is it seemed to really push itself as no ads/trackers/etc. but like the mobile app's default page is a game ad? Seemed a lot less customizable than I was expecting too but fine overall.

On mobile there's NewPipe of course but on desktop stuff like piped.video or whatever is really cool in theory but never quite works right for me.

I had never really read much about Vivaldi but ended up liking it a lot more than I expected so I'll probably be rolling with that.

I see people in this thread mention not liking Chromium but are there even any browsers that are decent besides Firefox that aren't based on Chromium? Like is LibreWolf or whatever any good? I used Firefox when it first dropped but in later years it was always super slow for me and never got better for me no matter what I did which yeah maybe that's a user error on my part but like dang lol

just use firefox dorkus

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i can never really vibe with how mad people get about ui changes, i honestly don’t even really notice them. i guess im a loving idiot

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Elder Postsman posted:

it’s like one thing you gotta paste in

i like my way, which requires pasting zero things into anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

git apologist posted:

i can never really vibe with how mad people get about ui changes, i honestly don’t even really notice them. i guess im a loving idiot

very individual i think. some things i just find really distracting, other stuff i don't notice at all.

e: also i doubly get it specifically for stuff like slack and your browser, as they're the kind of thing you're highly likely to have open floating in the periphery of your vision, and changes drawing attention are then obviously bad.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 24, 2023